Black Starscream?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I've seen two seeker jet molds done in what they call "black Starscream" colors. This was done in WST version, and an E-Hobby G1 repaint.
    Now, I know where Starscreams Ghost comes from, and I know where they get Sunstorm from. But where on Cybertron did Black Starscream come from? I've never seen any mention of it in cartoons of any series. Was this a comic-book feature or what?

Why have a black/gold Starscream instead of having another character with said colors?

Does anybody have this figure and how do they like it? I'm considering picking one up after I get Sunstorm and Ramjet.

What would be a good name for this repaint? I think having regular Starscream and his ghost is enough. No need for black version. Any thoughts?

2. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Skywarp?

3. Tigertrack

No, Skywarp is black/purple. I'm talking about the black/gold repaint and it is called Starscream. I just TFWikied it and it gives no information on it.
    http://www.tfsource.com/public_img/reduced-image_1719_106.jpg

It look's pretty cool except for the gray wings. If I get one, I'd replace the wings with Skywarps wings and change the stickers to gold.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Same place all black repaints come from: cheap way to recolor a common mold to get more money from it.

Why else would there be a Black Prime version of nearly every Prime mold out there?

5. Tigertrack

I can see a black Prime because of Nemesis Prime, but why have a Nemesis of an evil Decepticon?
    But yea I can see it that way. Still, should have a different name at least.

6. Jigga

Jigga Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The black starscream come from the scene where he gets shot down by Galvatron and dies in the 86 movie.

7. Tigertrack

I saw that recently but don't recall him turning black. I recall him turning into stone-grey and crumbling to bits. Plus, where would the gold accents come from? Either way its a cool looking color scheme. Would still need a good name for it.

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It's something eHobby got into the habit of with their repaints of reissues, both Starscream and Hot Rod got a black version and crystal version. No rhyme or reason, they just liked doing black repaints when there was no other option. (For Hot Rod there was no obvious repaint, for Starscream there are few colors that hadn't been used before) In the case of Starscream, they used gold to set it apart from Skywarp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=37044514517

9. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    ^This^ A least as far as I know

And yes Black Starscreams own!

[​IMG]

10. Tigertrack

He does look good. That one in the middle, that's one of those KO Mini-Seekers isn't it? How do you like those?

11. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I think that Black Starscream is supposed to be Starscream's resurrection colours and is also a direct homage to the Machine Wars Starscream.

There's been more Black Starscream's than you might first think :

Starscream (2005) - Destron Air Commander - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (2001) - Decepticon Air Commander - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (1998) - Destron Aerial Commander - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (1998) - Destron Aerial Commander - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (2008) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (2010) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (2010) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info

Also not exactly Black but oddly coloured are :
    Starscream (2004) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (2004) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info
    Starscream (2005) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info (I bet everyone calls him Thrust though)

& Micron legend Supermode Starscream who is essentially Thundercracker & MP-03 Starscream who is green for some bizarre reason when even the F-15's are grey not green..

There might even be a black Bottlecap Starscream toy but I don't have any handy resources to look them up on.

I'd hope that Takara might make a classics mould version one day as I can see that looking really nice with gold chrome trimmed guns.

12. Tigertrack

The MP-03 you mentioned I plan on renaming AcidStorm because of the green.

It's fine that they do all these repaints, but like I said, they should add new names. Example, the yellow Sideswipe I just received is named Tigertrack, not repaint Sideswipe.

13. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Good idea.

I think looking at the Robotmasters Starscream he was one of a whole sea of similar Black Repaints ; Beast Convoy, Beast Megatron, G1 Convoy, Lio Convoy, Star Saber & Victory Lio all got them.

I guess it's possible Takara's thinking on the original Black Starscream might be similar to Sleepmode Convoy or be taken as Machine Wars Starscream getting his old body back but remaining black coloured, as you prefer.

I'd not want 20 different color Starscreams or Sideswipes I guess but it has seemingly worked out that some characters have picked up a lot of alternative colour schemes over the years.

G1/G1 Sideswipe alone can be Blue (G2 Go-Bot), Red (G1), or Black (G2)

And Jazz seems to have picked up a propensity to also come in Silver now.

14. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Nope. It's Starscream much later on, where he takes on a new color scheme he prefers. It's based on his Machine Wars toy's colors (though loosely). See below.

The Smallest TF'ing Black Starscream isn't official but a KO. The only official Smallest TF'ing Transformers are Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, and Thrust.

Starscream is very popular and sells better than a new unknown character.

I have it and I like it a lot. I find the colors to be one of the best actually. The gray wings help break up the black too, as most of his body is black. I much prefer it to the Ghost Starscream.

Also his black is darker than Skywarp's, so using Skywarp's wings won't provide an exact color match to Starscream's black.

Randy

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    While the majority are based on MW Starscream, the Black Robotmasters is part of the fiction, along with all the other aforementioned redecos.

The essence of RM is a time war over Solitarium, your typical MacGuffin super energy resource and the black redecos are all characters who have undergone optimizing treatment to utilize Solartarium. It was along the lines of black absorbs all the sunlight (while other colors reflect part of it) which catalyzes Solartaium into their God Juice.

On the tangent of black redecoes, keep in mind that not all black redecoes equate to an evil character; many are still good guys. Nucleon Quest Superconvoy, Black Big Convoy, RM Optimus Prime and Primal, etc. All good guys.

16. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Does Black Big Convoy have a seperate Bio ? I've not seen one. or are you just refering to his Maximal logo ?

If I remember correctly Black Six Turbo is a Villan but Black Landcross is a hero (but I'm not 100% sure about Landcross but I know all the smaller Micromaster 6 teams have background stories to them)

Most of the Black G1 Convoys that are heroes all have different stories to them (I'm not sure Jafcon Convoy has a story though).

And I don't think I've read any background story to THS-02-B yet either. But black Nucleon Quest Super Convoy is wearing Gravity reflective armour. and Robotmasters Black Convoy is normal G1 convoy wearing special coating - yet MP-01-B is a drone/clone of Convoy.

There might even be a story for the unreleased Black Wonderfest Convoy too.

No idea about Black Lio Convoy or Black Lio Jnr.

And I missed the explanation for Black G1 Megatron too

17. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    It's a homage to his Machine Wars deco

18. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow that post is over 3 years old! Hope my English is better now.
    Here is full translation;
    Starscream (Black) - E-Hobby & Other G1 Recolors - Transformers Resources

Here is his backstory published in Comic Bom Bom.
    Big Convoy (Black) - Transformers Beast Wars Neo - Transformers Resources

As for Black Lio Convoy, he did appear in the cartoon (ep 18). He is a "bad" copy of Lio Convoy accidentally created by Tasmania Kid. Robot Masters black Lio Convoy has more or less the same backstory (published in the magazine he was a mail away exclusive to); Bound Rogue (repaint of Tasmania Kid) finds the machine that creates a copy of Lio Convoy.

19. Tigertrack

I used to have the WST "KO" of black Starscream, but I sold that right after I received it.
    That was made from Hereostoys or something like that from ebay.

20. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I think most Black repaints of characters are just done to sell (and they look pretty cool). The fictional explanation often feel tact on.