Black repaints only make sense if they make sense & look better than the original.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Black repaints only make sense if they make sense & look better than the original.

Sometimes a black repaint can look worse than the first release colors applied to a certain TF toy mold.

I noticed that black repaints always look good & make sense. when the black color is applied to liscensed car brand transformers. like the alternators,Live action TF movie toys that sometimes use liscense car brands for the toys.

It seems that black repaints done on animal transformers don't look that great. more than often the original colors look better on the mold.

I noticed that black colored fake military designed TF toys don't look that great.

A few examples of black colored TF toys that look worse compared to the original first release colors applied to the TF toy mold:
    (1) Black Lio convoy,as the black colors are a bit too much. hide all the beatiful detail of the mold. not enough other colors to break up all that 75% black colors on the toy. the regular colors win & look best on this toy mold.

(2) Titanium 6 inch Menasor. a black repaint using the rodimus prime mold. the rodimus colors are sort of iconic & only work best applied to this toy mold.

(3) robot master megatron T-Rex. the black repaint is in un-realistic colors & doesn't look that great applied to the mold. the regular colors look best on the mold.

(4) not all optimus prime/convoy molds look decent repainted black. the mold design sort of dictates it.

(5)lately i've noticed when hasbro/takara has a new seeker mold. more often when they paint it black in skywarp colors it just looks awful. I did notice the purple colors they add to skywarp often clash with the black colors. examples of awful skywarp TF toys. 2007 Walmart voyager skywarp toy mold.

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your first sentence...ummm, okay.

Quick note, but that Walmart Voyager Skywarp repaint was in '09, for Revenge of the Fallen.

Since I'm someone who likes black repaints, I find that many of them just look better in black because black seems to go with everything well.

I don't think the Black Lio Convoy mold hides the details of the toy; I actually find the normal Lio Convoy very bland because of all that white, so it's the opposite for me.

As for Skywarp, whether I really "like" the paint job has more to do with the color of purple they choose to use. I prefer the purple used on, say, MP-6 or the Hasbro Classics deluxe as opposed to the Armada repaint.

Out of curiousity, and yes I find this funny asking this in a thread about black repaints, but do you view everything in black and white, this or that, one or the other? There doesn't seem to be much shades of grey in the stances I see you take around here.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Best reasoning ever.

Black repaints work great IMO. Shattered Glass Rodimus. FTW.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    "Repaints are only good if they look good"?

You don't say! I have never thought about that one before!

5. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (1) Black Lio convoy = bad ass! The black, silver/gray and teal work perfectly well. He is after all, the evil clone of Lio Convoy. Toy looks great and makes sense in the cartoon.

(2) Titanium 6 inch Menasor = Shit repaint of a shit mold.

(3) robot master megatron T-Rex = what? You prefer the more "realistic" original color? You would rather have megs be colored as "realistic" purple Barney than black? I guess you do. FYI all the black RM repaint are bad ass.

(4) "not all optimus prime/convoy molds look decent repainted black. the mold design sort of dictates it." which one doesn't look decent? In fact a black monkey makes more sense than the other original color schemes: BM and TM prime comes to mind.

(5)"lately i've noticed when hasbro/takara has a new seeker mold. more often when they paint it black in skywarp colors it just looks awful. I did notice the purple colors they add to skywarp often clash with the black colors. examples of awful skywarp TF toys. 2007 Walmart voyager skywarp toy mold."

you just noticed this recently? FYI SW is a black with purple SS. Hasbro/Takara has been repainting SS into black with purple accents as SW since G1.

Look at all the seeker toys from all lines. You'll see quite a pattern there.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    So what color WERE T-Rexes?

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Purple.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Apparently purple or GTFO.

I often dream if dancing and singing with a purple dinosaur. Odd, really.

9. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    black rep... nevermind... to me, all toys repainted in black look good, i don't care what mold..hell a black repainted ratchet would look stellar.... done...

10. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

It's really hard to follow what you're trying to say here... I thik you are trying to say that black repaints are only appropriate when they are in a context that makes sense or if the colour scheme is an improvement over the original?
    That's a fair opinion, but it is only your opinion and not a universal fact - I actually like black repaints. But then I was a huge fan of Shadow Link in the Zelda games too.

More opinions which are nice, but to some extent I would disagree with you. Any mold can look good in black if you have a talented painter do them.

I wanted to adress this one seperately. As with the rest of yoru statements it is your opinion. I disagree - Black repaint of Predaking would look amazing.
    Hell - the Ravage repaints of Cheetor for Beast Wars look awesome and can get crazy expensive on the secondary market too.

Any of HasTak's schemes neglect the detail of this mold...

Again, I would disagree with you here - I like this colour scheme, I think it works well with the mold. Yes the Rodimus colours are iconic - but they are iconic to Rodimus, not Motormaster/Menasor

Yes, its a historic fact that all T-Rex's were in fact a healthy purple colour. The custom that Nemesis Predaking did for me of the Cybertron Beast Megatron looks awesome in black.

I half agree with you here - Some HasTak
    schemes are a bit lackluster, but a radicon might make a hella cool version of it. How does a mold dictate a particular colour scheme anyways?

You mean that they follow the original repaint theme of the seekers as they did 26 years ago? No, say it ain't so...
    I love the Skywarp colours so again, I would have to disagree with you as my own personal opinion.

11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    probably should apply to all repaints, not just black, but i doubt it

12. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sad that we dont have more of them. I wish we would of got a black repaint of the glaxy force optimus. And Big Black Convoy and Nemesis Convoy were awsome repaints. I can go on and on with all my requests for black repaints. Keep em' coming!

13. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

This is true of any repaint...

I actually rather like mine and think the black looks rather cool.

That's more an issue with the purple than the black. I love my MP-6 and Hasbro MP Skywarp...

Ultimately, in cartoons / toys:

Black = evil
    Evil = more fun (they get the best lines)
    More fun = better
    Ergo, black = better

;) 

14. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Now this is not always true.

"Amazing. A booby trap that actually captures boobies."
    —Optimus Prime says "boobies".
    Come on this is epic!

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I concur...especially about a Black Galaxy Convoy!

16. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "looks better" isn't really quantifiable value. It's up to personal opinion. Just because Person A likes it, doesn't mean person B will nor does it make it inherently better or worse. Sales have proven that black repaints sell. believe it or not the only reason Hasbro/Takara make/repaint TFs is to make money.

Then again it's a Tigermegatron thread to no point getting worked up.

17. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    that would be so flippin awesome....I bought an extra one just to have it repainted into this.

18. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only black repaint I need to see is stealth mode Sixshot.

19. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    There are some cool things that can happen with black repaints. While not an "official" TF product, I like how Vange1us pointed out in his vid review of Knight Morpher Annihilator that because it is primarily black repaint without a lot of color contrasts, they painted in several details with gold/bronze(?) trim that really makes all that molded detail pop, compared to the blanket reds or blues on the original. I think this is why Nemesis Prime repaints are so stellar too... forced to offset the uniform black with teal highlights that make details pop.

20. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah, i had an opprotunity to snatch one at 1k, sadly I passed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.