Black MP Convoy or MP Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NGW, Dec 2, 2009.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Planning on ordering one of the two from BBTS come this weekend, not really sure which I should go with though.

Only Masterpieces I own are Megatron (which was my first) and the recent US release of Skywarp.

I'm not really super preferential character-wise between Prime and Grimlock, so that's not a major major factor here, plus if I got the black Prime it'd be a Nemesis to stand beside my Megatron, not as Prime standing against him.

There's things I both like and dislike about both of them, so I just wanna hear what you lot have to say.

Should I go ahead and get Grimlock, knowing he's gonna get a US release, though likely to be lacking in some of the areas I like about the Takara version (such as sharp teeth and claws) and just try and find a cheap release of the first MP Prime we got here (not the DVD version)? Get black Convoy and be happy having the mold and letting him serve as a Nemesis Prime? What?

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Get the Masterpiece Prime.

Then get the US Grimlock.

3. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Black Prime, the Buster Prime :D 

4. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    I'd get Grimlock now and then pick up a regular Prime later (or Black if you prefer that to regular).

5. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Go for Black Convoy, US Grimlock is gonna be good in his own right

6. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I vote for Grimlock for the following three reasons:

1. Grimlock is a first tier character, whereas Black Convoy is an aggrandized repaint.
    2. Grimlock is arguably a superior toy in terms of posability, detailing and quality. None of the balance or die-cast issues Convoy has.
    3. Don't settle for the Hasbro version. Takara Grimlock has all the bells and whistles, so if price isn't an issue, why not go all the way? (Of course there's always the slight possibility that Hasbro's version could be identical, or somehow better, but how often does that happen these days?)

(4. Also, it'd probably easier to get a Convoy after a Grimlock, availability-wise, if you had a change of heart and decided to get both someday. This suggestion doesn't really count because it's purely speculative.)

7. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Black Convoy...... no contest.

9. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Black Convoy will likely be more difficult to track down in the future. E-hobby items tend to have a lower production run than the mass retail releases. Since Grimlock is getting a USA release you should be able to hunt down a version of it in the future. Before MP Magnus got his reissue he was selling for over $300 at one point.

10. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

If you get any two MP's get Grimlock and an Optimus. The Optimus color is a personal preference but the toy itself is the best MP

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IMO Grimlock is the best MP to date. I would get him over any of the others hands down. After you get Grimlock, I would go for one of the regular (red and blue) versions of MP Prime.

12. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

For a complete opposite point of view, I think Grimlock is the worst MP to date. I love the complexity of the MP line and Grimlock is really lacking in that department. He's more so just a blown up version of the G1 fig with some added articulation. I think he's cool, but not worth the $150 price. I'm hoping the Hasbro release is inferior because at this point I'm kinda wishing I woulda just waited.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Well, I can only say how I came to my decision to get black Convoy, which shipped today.

1 - The robot simply looks stunning in those colors. The tractor mold, while adequate, was never regarded as terrific looking. The black helps offset that imo.

2 - I did consider the trailer version but decided an extra $50 for what is essentially a giant plastic box wasn't worth it. I have little room as it is.

3 - I'm not a big fan of Grimlock in general and the MP looks like an oversized G1 toy. That's probably great for many people, but for me, MP is about making them so complex as to nearly match the sleeker cartoon design without sacrificing the alternate form. I just don't get that sense from it.

4 - That said, I am considering the comic version. Otherwise I may just get Hasbro's, despite whatever inferiorities will come with it.

14. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Get Grimlock man.

15. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

I have both and Grimlock is way better!!!

16. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Get a Grimlock, whether it be Hasbro or Takara, but get a Grimlock. He is one of the best toys of the year and a far better toy that MP Prime.

Black Prime is just a 3rd repaint of that mold and an uninspired one at that. I would make sure to get a Red Version of Prime, preferably MP-04 w. Trailer and any version of Grimlock long before Black Prime.

Just my 2 cents.

17. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems you have the cash to get one Takara MP and will be getting the Hasbro releases anyway. If that's the case get either the black Convoy or MP04, those will never get Hasbro releases.

18. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i'd get grimlock, and get a MP-04 to display with ur megs.. i dont know, i'd rather have optimus prime first, before getting the black repaint (nemesis, if u wish).. but if ur definitely planning on owning the black MP prime, then i guess its better to get it now, coz it'll cost quite a bit more to get it later

19. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, really appreciate the opinions guys.

Thinking I'll go for Black Convoy, it's likely gonna be harder/more expensive to pick up down the line than Grimmy is gonna be and I wouldn't necessarily mind picking up the US release of the latter if need be.

Thanks a bunch everyone.