Black Mamba Combiner Wars Compatible Motormaster

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MrDipnSlip, Apr 7, 2018.

1. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    I don’t know. There could still be a large enough market for this. Between the people who just don’t like CW Motormaster and those who got the UW versions with the crumbling plastic.

While I’ll remain content with my CW Motormaster with the PE set, I’d still trade him in for something better if it came along.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

Crumbling plastic?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Scourgatron

Scourgatron Your Don't Care Bear

News Credits:
    Motormasters hips

• Like Like x 1
  4. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    There were some UW Motormasters that apparently suffered from something akin to GPS with the brown plastic used. I don’t know how widespread it was though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

If they fixed Motormaster’s face I would buy it.

6. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

Was it that big an issue? I didn’t here it talked about much. That plastic was a terrible choice anyway. Why brown? Why couldn’t it be black like other parts?

• Like Like x 1
  7. RodimusSupreme

RodimusSupreme Autobot Leader and Combiner

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    It does make sense, because CW Motormaster was terrible. Who cares if the figures are out of production? It's not like people sold all of theirs off after they finished CW, people still own those molds and want a new Motormaster that's better. That's a market sitting right there waiting for a product like this, and then they just went "Eh, nevermind", and threw it away. Yet that ugly as crap Galvatron is still being made? That just doesn't make sense. He's not entitled just because something he and many of us have been wanting and haven't been getting because of other types of products saturating the market gets cancelled after making it this far. They literally wasted money by going through the process to get a prototype and then stopping altogether. And it's one less product to make money on, so if they wanted to make money for their family, cancelling a product without any reason (as it seems) is just flat-out stupid (and I'm not one of these guys, but I could use the argument of "they're making money off of IP infringement for their families" if I wanted to). I wasn't completely on board with this particular Motormaster yet, but with some tweaks it could've been awesome (and seeing it in color could've made me really like it and want it). But no, now we never will find out.
    ...Oh dear God...it returns...

• Like Like x 1
  8. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a: he is entitled because he wants people to lose their jobs over the fact he wont be able to get a TOY
    b: it doesnt make sense to produce an upgrade for figures released years ago because they would be banking on several variables including
    1: people kept their cw stunticons
    2: people want to upgrade their cw stunticons
    3: people will buy their product even though other upgrades do exist
    4: the last cw compatible torso didnt sell well (it was also a motormaster) and the only other upgrade torso bot for an official combiner sold so poorly we havent heard from the company since (microblaze creations foc onslaught)
    c: did they spend money to make a prototype? yes, but a prototype is a one off, not like they had to invest in a production run

should they tease things they arent solid on releasing? probably not, but either they felt there wasnt enough interest in this or they felt they wouldnt make enough of a profit. simple as that and in all honesty its not a stupid decision on their part, the last two torsos meant to go with official products tanked.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Scourgatron

Scourgatron Your Don't Care Bear

News Credits:
    Lonewolf didn't sell well because....

It was dumb looking as a Motormaster.

And to be honest, I always thought he was for a team they never finished until a couple of months ago.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  10. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Well-Known Member

They had their own limbs planned, there were renders of their Breakdown on their we sire.

But LW was a steaming pile of shit so they didn't move forward with it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he may have been for another team but he was reengineered prior to release to work with the cw limbs. and the point still stands that microblaze creations military titan also sold poorly. companies are better off doing whole new combiners rather than new torsos judging from those two examples

12. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Lead Singer & Front Man of the Secret Shockwaves

Ebay:
    There's a market for a new CW compatible 3P Motormaster. This board is proof of that. The most likely problem is that there's not enough of a market for the company to turn a profit. While it costs money to get a prototype to resin phase, it's nothing in comparison to the overhead on actual toy production. This is why most 3P companies would spit out 3D renders for the longest time to gauge interest as opposed to getting to the resin phase - cost.

It very well may be that this thing was sitting around for a lot longer than anyone knew. This thread started in April of this year. Takes a substantial amount of time to develop a toy from design to resin. What I suspect happened is that Black Mamba appears to be picking up traction in the Upgraded KO arena. They may have trotted out an older design to see if there was enough interest, especially since PotP Voyagers are showing backwards compatibility with CW stuff. CW Motormaster is likely the only one we're going to get for quite a while, so it makes sense to at least chum the waters and see what shows up.

As @tigatron2002 suggested, it may be the failure of Microblaze and Lone Wolf that may have helped finalize their decision to cancel the toy, combined with possible lackluster interest of people willing to off and buy a complete upgrade to their figure.

Another thing worth pointing out is that there appears to be limited overlap among collectors of main-line official figures and 3P. I know I do, but not everyone is interested or in some cases capable. This may be the reason these hybrids do so poorly. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a torso figure, I may as well just go all in and buy a 3P. Otherwise, CW Motormaster is "good enough". Another thing that it plays on is psychology - some people don't want to simply chuck aside a figure they bought. That's why "upgrade kits" do so well and full replacement figures may not. These kits make what you already have better, thus making a consumer feel that their original purchase was worthwhile.

Ultimately, while CW Motormaster is pretty lame, they may not have gotten the kind of interest necessary for people to want to set aside what they have already in order to buy a pricier Motormaster. As a result, no predicted profit and therefore no toy.

• Like Like x 5
  13. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    very well put

14. RodimusSupreme

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I do not remember the Military Titans upgrade selling poorly, and you're acting like anybody who bought CW Stunticons either sold them off, and anyone who kept them doesn't want to touch them ever again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    microblaze creations didnt make any figures post onslaught, therefore it sold poorly. also i never said everybody either sold them off or wouldnt touch them again, i said those were variables to consider. theyre large enough variables to make a new torso a questionable investment, especially since the "fans" constantly bitch about being sick of combiner wars molds.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RodimusSupreme

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    We don't even know how many they sold, and probably never will.
    I said you were acting that way, as though you knew for a fact no one wanted this.
    Fans whine about CW molds because of constant remolding into other characters, mainly when it doesn't work for that character.

17. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Lead Singer & Front Man of the Secret Shockwaves

Ebay:
    Eh. Given Microblaze effectively folded after one product and nobody ever mentioning where their designers ended up, plus the fact that the Microblaze set arguably wasn't all that good (I own it, and I'll argue it wasn't good for much else other than making the FoC Bruticus look less like a special parking space recipient), I think the presumption that Microblaze bit it for having sucky sales is probably not a stupid one.

For the record, I don't think that @tigatron2002 ever said that nobody ever wanted this thing. He said that he felt that making it would have been a bad decision on Black Mamba's part. I think most of us would want a reasonably priced upgrade kit or replacement for CW Motormaster that isn't terrible. I don't think BM would have been able to make something that would have been cost effective.

I think you might be missing the point a skosh. He more or less agreed with you that there's always questions as to whether there's a 3p torso bot to be made because fans hate the constant remolds. I suppose "fans" was in quotes because there's an awful lot of people that claim to be fans, but really just like complaining for some reason. I mean, I get sick of the Silverbolt/Hot Spot mold, too, but whaddya gonna do?

• Like Like x 1
  18. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have you seen a second product from them? No? Then it’s logical to assume their first product failed to generate the capital to make a second product.

Listen to this guy, he gets what I’m saying perfectly

19. Digger

Digger Gohan wa Okazu!

Even though weirdly that was listed as their second figure.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Thing is, CW Motormaster is hardly ideal... But "good enough" for the rest of the team.

• Like Like x 1