Black Lights Bad For Collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    Can a black light be bad for a TF collection? Will it cause them to yellow the same way a normal fluorescent light will?

2. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Normal flourescents shouldn't cause much yellowing. UV radiation is the cuprit.

A blacklight is extremely high UV radiation. I would not recommend it at all for any kind of prolonged exposure.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^QFT. but if you are smart, i think a small one that you use once or twice a year for less than 5 minutes, should be okay. i mean, flip off room light, Black Light on, friends say, "groovy" and you cut it off and move along.

but on that G2 collection, all ya need is some herb and a Beatles CD....
    so far out, man. forget yellow submarines, you got dayglo robots

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Don't florescent lights emit a lot more UV rays than incandescent bulbs? Cause a blacklight is just florescent bulbs with everything but the UV blocked. Florescent bulbs should have just as much UV, along with the rest of the light spectrum.

5. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Does it matter that my collection has no G1 figures? It's mostly cybertron/classics/universe/rotf/tftm in my collection with some Fans Projects stuff in the mix. Will these figures yellow too? I had heard they fixed that problem with the modern figs, just wanted to make sure though.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yellowing is a fact of life. Unless you've somehow UV-protected each individual figure, they will yellow through prolonged exposure. Doesn't matter how new or old the figure is, the UV will cause them to fade/yellow eventually.

7. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Well damn, there goes my idea to pimp my room out with some black lights for that trippy experience. Glad I asked before going ahead with it, then I would have been making a thread called: "OMG MY COLLECTION IS YELLER"

Thanks for the help.

Remember kids: "black lights are bad, m'kay?"

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    they can't "fix" it in modern figures, because anything will yellow in light. wanna get rid of yellowing? stick to black repaints.

9. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

YES!! Black lights are very bad. When I was younger I used to love turning my black light on and seeing my Beast Wars figures glow. Now my Tigerhawk is VERY yellowed. I plan on replacing him someday in the near future because of it.