Black holes could power future starships

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CdnShockwave, Nov 19, 2009.

1. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Black Hole Drive Could Power Future Starships | Universe Today

Looks like there's hope yet for humans traveling beyond our own solar system. Sure seems like the ultimate energy source. Better start investing in black holes and get out of oil and gas. :p 

2. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

If Event Horizon has taught us anything, it is that this idea has bad news written all over it

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That is BOSS.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    After watching that movie, I would never want to be on a ship that wanders anywhere remotely close to a black hole.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    As cool an idea as that sounds, has it been conclusively proven that black holes emit Hawking Radiation in enough quantities, and in a form that can be harnessed to power something? Also, would an energy emission like that actually be able to create a mass singularity at a stable point that could be manipulated and moved?

It's an interesting concept though, maybe if not for a starship than for a dyson-sphere kind of idea of power generation once we can get close to one. And think of the badass points we'd win with other races.

"So what does your ship run off of?"
    "Singularities!"
    "What? That's crazy. What kind of defenses does it have?"
    "We throw fission at things!"

6. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Can they get any stupider?Trying to control a black hole is like Playing God,which is Retarded.

7. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Doesn't seem like that engine would have a "park" setting.

But hey, it works for the Romulans.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Actually, reading the article, it does make sense, and doesn't seem stupid at all. Don't really see how it's playing God. I'm sure something similar was said when they proposed travelling to the moon, or flying in our own atmosphere.

As for "park", if they can contain it at that point, they could contain it completely and have other "parabolic electron-gas" mirrors to redirect energy to stop the ship.

As for stopping the inertia from killing everyone when the "stopping" happens... well, I'm no scientist, I just like the think about this stuff.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well we are a long way from developing this technology so its not like the scientists don't have the time to work out safety devices and tech to safely control the black holes

10. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

^ Exactly what I was thinking. I can only hope future ship builders can design something as cool as a frikkin Warbird. Might as well carry a black hole in style...

[​IMG]

:dj 

11. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I understand it Hawking Radiation has been detected, but is something of a misnomer, as it is not actually emitted from the Black Hole.

In Quantum Mechanics there is a phenomenon called Virtual Particles. In theory virtual particles pop into and out of existence continuously on the small quantum scale. These particles have positive and negative energy density. Negative energy is not to be confused with anti-matter or a negative electrical charge. If one imagines how mass distorts space time by producing a gravity well, if space-time is represented as a flat line or plane, the presence of mass would be perceived as a dip in the line. Much like putting a weight on a trampoline.

Negative energy density produces a lift instead of an indentation on space time. Much like if someone was standing under the trampoline pushing it up.

When these particles form in the vicinity of a black hole, one member of the pair falls into the black hole, reducing it's mass while the other particle is allowed to escape. Thus hawking radiation is not actually emitted by the black hole as it is quantum energy escaping from just beyond the event horizon.

For anyone who watches Stargate this is how the ZPM's work that power the stargates and anchient's technology, by harnessing this quantum energy.

Negative energy density matter is also what is needed to hold a wormhole open to theoretically allow it to be traverse-able.

For more info go here: Casimir effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was going to mention Romulans. :mad 

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Starships powered by black holes?

Why do I think that it's such a bad idea, and why is the idea of a starship being powered by a black hole dampening my dream of being on board a starship exploring other worlds?

14. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

They better put that black hole in a vaccum. Because one breach and it will suck in all the "air" and get massive and massive until all in its gravitational range is consumed. I don't see this ever happening, but if it does, I bet its side effect is going to be worse than nuclear waste.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Me three. :drunk 

Still that article mentioning ships powered by warp drive a bit of a misnomer. Warp drive is just how ships on Star Trek move FTL between stellar bodies. Star Trek actually has several other types of FTL solutions, trans-warp and quantam slipstream. The powercore in a federation ship however is an anti-matter reactor.

16. autobotguy

autobotguy Well-Known Member

Wait a minute....we have starships???? When the hell did this happen? :confused: 

17. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

When you were asleep

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    We're just going to need inertial dampners and an Okuda to make it all work though.

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

What?

It's still traveling below C. We can't take humans anywhere in less than several years with that. Hypothetical "wormhole" and "hyper" drives could potentially create ways to "cheat" the lightspeed limitation, so could highly speculative ideas like the Alcubierre drive: Alcubierre drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are other ways to get power from black holes, (Prof. Kip Thorne came up with a great one that requires a large hole with a spin) but carting a tiny one around with you is, indeed, potentially possible. But Kupp got to it before I could. Black holes do not "produce" Hawking radiation per se.

All that aside, all you'd get from this is a powerful energy source you'd have to charge, that can't get you past C.

Interesting, but it isn't breaking down any barriers or writing any new books.

- Coeloptera

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Abd you looked so peaceful we didn't wake you.