Black Friday

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    ok, i keep hearing about "Black Friday" like in sales and stores and related to certain toys and exclusives and stuff-what exactly is Black Friday?

2. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the day after Thanksgiving where everybody starts doing Christmas shopping, stores usually do sales/put new stuff out on Black Friday and you have to get to stores real early, like 4:30am. It's also the name of a TFA episode.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wheeljack's got it, the name derives from retailers who are "in the red" all year and finally realize a profit for the year on this day. They go "in the black."

And those terms relate to accounting practices of using black ink for profit and red ink for loss. :) 

Also, "Black Friday" is my favorite Megadeth song.

4. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    ah-that actually explains why my parents always did Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving. also right after i posted here, i decided to look it up (what i shoulda done to start with) and found this:

Black Friday - Transformers Wiki - Teletraan I

so thanks guys ^_^

5. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been browsing the BF ads released thus far and haven't come across any stellar TF deals...

6. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I'd rather just stay home. The crowds and the hassle of getting through traffic just aren't worth the "deals" we get on Transformers. On the other hand, if I see some good sales on Blue-Ray players I may just have to wade through the mass of humanity on that day.

7. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    Guys try working for a mall Starbucks where we're scheduled to make $16,000 that day! It sucks. On the other hand I am not really optimistic there will be sweet transformer related deals. I mean Wal-Mart already has the deluxes for $7.77. And the only sales you really find are the ones for stupid cheap crap you never wanted in the first place, such as my DVDs I bought for like $2 or something. Anyone else heard anything TF-related?

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just shop online, I've done so for years! Screw all that!

9. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *shudder* No way man. A good friend of mine managed one of the most trafficed Starbucks in Minneapolis, right next to a mall, and each year the holiday season nearly killed him and his employees. I think the guy aged ten years in the two years he ran that store.

Black Friday is the one day of the year I make it a point to not go to any stores. It is Buy Nothing Day after all. :) 

10. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    places usually dont have that great of deals, that one big ticket item everyone is waiting for to go on sale usually doesnt, something similar or off brandish will but its usually nothing stellar.

11. Peanut04

News Credits:
    Yea, my wife and I buy almost exlcusively online. There have only been a few exceptions that we had to go to the store to take advantage of a sale or something. There was the Circut City incident, that lead to me not being allowed to go into crowded stores around X-mas, lol.

12. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the day from hell to shop. ppl get up and head out to the stores at 5am. they are all nuts. i went one yr and will not ever do it agin.

13. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving where almost a hundred people are trampled or nearly trampled to death by lunatic, turkey induced crowds that assume they are getting great deals just because it's there first day off before Christmas.

Jesus! I'm assuming that was your wife's executive decision and not Circuit City's?

14. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What is that, like 13 grandes and 27 regulars?

I've done Black Friday about a dozen times now. One year I nabbed a (then) top of the line digital camera for $23 because the sales associate was too confused/tired to care.

A fun thing about Black Friday is the people-watching. It's amazing how primal little old ladies can get over a sale price.

Another fun thing is if you happen to get a good parking space, to unload your shopping cart and just count how many cars are in line for your space. Personally, if someone is waiting that looks really impatient, I'll just stand there and call someone on my cell phone, just to see how long the driver will wait until he starts getting totally pissed.

Good times.

I'll only go this year if there's a good deal on TF's, or an XBox360.

15. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Last year I was in sunny Las Vegas until Thanksgiving. At 12:01am on Friday morning, I was parked infront of Target ... freezing my tail off in 15 degree Chicago weather. Totally worth it ... got a 37in LCD for $495.

As far as toys go ... the only TF's in recent memory were available at Wal-Mart. Some RID construction bot set was $15 ... then Universe 2 packs of Cybertron figures were $10 or $15.

16. Peanut04

News Credits:

LOL, yea it was hers. I caused a big scene in a Circuit City because there were so many people there that the line wrapped along the outer walls around the entire interior of the store. The last person in line was near the registers, if you know what I mean. There had to be at least 300 people in the store. It was crazy. Anyways, they only had 2 registers open and like 6 employees standing around the service desk laughing and talking like nothing was going on. After about 20 minutes in line, I stepped out and went to the front. I demanded to see a manager and began to chew their ass for not opening up more registers. When I was done they had every register running and I got a few laughs and a few claps from the other customers. I was told by my wife to go to the car and when she came out she said I wasn't allowed to go into stores during the holidays anymore. Something about no people skills, lol. We have a pretty good laugh about it, but I suppose I kinda embarassed her at the time.

17. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I had an interview at Wal-Mart recently to work the holiday season, I'll be working Over Night Stocking if I get the job which means I'll work from 11pm - 8am so I'll get off in time to be mobbed by customers. I'm hoping I'll be able to blend in with the crowd and get some Christmas shopping done with enough time left to get home and get some sleep.

18. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

Dude, I would have insisted that you go to the front of the line for that course of action. :rock 

I'm hoping you'll also be able to hide the good TFs yourself and the rest of us.

19. djmagic

djmagic Well-Known Member

Metal Chaos your gonna have fun. I've been lucky and have dodged working on black friday. For me I plan on stopping by a walmart and then target. I think that is when some of the stores are going to roll out the new stuff.

20. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I used to work retail. Once you've been on the store-end of one of them, you'll understand why it's called "Black Friday." It's Hell on Earth. Once you've worked 8 Black Fridays in a row, you'll boycott the day (as I do).

"Nuts" is a polite euphemism. :redface2: