Black friday thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrhillz, Nov 24, 2006.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

So, did you go out? Did you have to work it?

I had to be at work at 4:45 , so I got to deal with the crowds first hand. We quickly sold out of TMX Elmo's, GBA Micro's that were on sale for $35, wireless PS2 controllers that were on sale for $5 with a purchase of a game, and others. Toy stores + Black Friday = Nightmare . So, how did everyone else fare, on either side of the crowds?

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Got up for work at 4 (couldn't sleep the night before, to make matters worse) wanted to shoot myself so they'd send me home. Did a little shopping after work, but was so exhausted by then that I completely forgot where I parked my car when I left Wal-mart. After wandering the parking lot for a bit to find it, I decided to just go home and relax.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

My wife had to be at work early and she ended up saking my ass up while getting ready. So I got up and got ready in no time. Then sat around. It was 5am, I didn't need to leave until 6ish. So I actually called the TRU 5 minutes away to see what time they opened. 5am. So what the hell, I went. If anything, I could at least watch in amazement. The lot was full. I mean ful. I parked behind the store. I went in and they barricaded the easy way to the action figures because they didn't want anyone cutting the checkout line...THAT WRAPPED AROUND THE STORE. So I went the the MLs, found a few I needed and hid them because there was no way I'd be able t omake it through the line and be at work on time.

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, my boss called about 9:30 last night (I had already crawled in bed since I had been up since 1am) and told me I needed to be at Richmond Walmart at 5. I got there about 10 till and couldn't find a single parking spot and had to park in the Lowe's parking lot next door. I got in the store and one of the first things I see are people shoving each other and snatching things off of the pallets and a lady walked by me with an armload of DVDs, clutching them as if her very life depended on those things. If anyone could take a snapshot photo of greed and single-minded materialism, all one would have to do is step into any Walmart at 5am the day after Thanksgiving.

5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife and I got up at 5:00pm. We hit Walgreens, Kmart, Walmart and Toyrus in under two hours. Good sales too.

6. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Alot of the stores didnt have these so called deals. Toys R' Us and Target were about wiped clean by the time I got there. I guess you had to be with the 5am crowd to really get something done.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    My poor fiance had to take custom framing orders today. She said the line filled half of the store. She was so tired of "So, what colors would make this picture pop?" by the end of the day. Poor girl. :( 

8. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

My buddy and I got up at 5 AM and had some good luck! It was my first attempt to shop on Black Friday and I feared the worst, but we had no real problems! The crowds were almost non-existent as was the traffic....go figure....now, later, at around 10 AM, that's when the crowds started. I actually didn't buy a thing except at the 2 comic shops we hit. The great deals were there!

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've been home with the flu. Nauseated and had a massive headache. At least I got to call in sick today... and probably tomorrow too. I was sick Thur. No big turkey dinner. i managed to keep down a tiny turkey dinner with a tiny bit of meat, tiny bit of potatoes, tiny bit of stuffing, and a roll. I felt a little worse after that. Tried again for lunch today and again felt bad. For dinner I'm having some saltine crackers.. nummy.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I had to work today, by the time I got off all the good stuff was sold out.

11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was up anyway so there was no getting up early worry. I hit 2 TRUs, a KB, and a Target. Toy wise, there was almost nothing left anywhere. Didn't end up buying anything till I got to Target, but I scored a bunch of movies for uber cheap. Even found an empty chasier lane, so I got out fast. But the places were mobbed.

12. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I had a good Black Friday. I slept in and around 4pm I went out (had to go to the pet store). Seems pet stores aren't really busy even on black friday. The Petsmart is right next to Target and by 4ish it wasn't crazy busy so I popped in. Guess they had restocked during the day or something since they had a good amount of stuff. I went to the toy section and picked up Classics Hotrod, didn't even have to wait in line. Bought some food on the way home and chilled. Oh yeah and I did some Christmas shopping too, but that was online.

13. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Lets see...

I had 14 people waiting in electronics all freakin night.
    By 3am it was almost 80.
    Upper Management got their maps confused (and some staffers told people the wrogn thing so they didnt have to look after high-ticket items) and put things in the wrong places.
    My arms were nearly torn from their sockets as I handed out MP3 players and Flashmedia Jump Drives.
    My throat is sore from answering nearly 3000 questions.

The Good:
    The Dept Manager of Electronics and the Assoicate Manager over Electronics thanked me for being on the ball.
    WM had a nice Thanksgiving feast for all assoicates (The turkey was really good! and one of my bosses brough in some homemade cookies & cheesy-potatos)

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

woke up at 4am, left the house at 4:45am to go down to Woodburn, OR.

First stop was Wal-Mart...man Electronics was a busy area. picked up a IMPACT 1GB SD Mem Card (for my Wii) for $13....also picked up a bicycle, portable DVD player, bunch of DVDs....ended up spending about $180 total there (between my g/f and I)

Then it was off to the Woodburn Outlet Mall....bought lots of clothes (mostly at Pac-Sun).

Came home, dropped off the goods, byt this time, its about noon....went to Gamestop to finally pick up my Zelda (though it was that last copy crap, cant stand that) and the NP Guide, watched the PS3 kiosk (the Wii kiosk was off)...then went next door to Target (they finally got a PS3 and Wii Kiosk). Looked the at Wii section and saw that they had about 10 copies of Zelda and 2 classic controller (didn't buy it, will wait til I get a Wii)

Went home, slept.

15. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

I braved the shopping frenzy today. Got to Wal-Mart at 6 AM. The flat screens were sold out. Checked out Best Buy. The store was filled to capacity and then some. There were at least 200 people waiting outside Best Buy to get in. Went to Toys R Us. I got a pair of memory cards for my PS2 games. I waited almost an hour in line to check out. Some college guy cuts in line twice to buy more Nintendo wii's. He bought at least three of them and some games for the system. All in all, a rather quiet black friday.

16. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Got up at 5am today and went to wait at EB Electronics with my brother for an hour so we can get the nukchuks for Wii controller. We got one of the 2 they have. I then went to Abercrombie & Fitch and got myself a couple of $30 collared shirts. Considering they were retailed for $86 I got a pretty good deal. We went over to WM and found nothing at toy aisle. I went back home and slept a bit then visited TRU and again nothing. I may go visit another TRU 20 mins away which have wave 15 last time I went and see if they'll have anything new this time.

17. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I woke up at 4am to be at work at 5am and open the doors at 6am. Being the only manager from 6am till 11am on Black Friday is a bit of a test. But we did all right this morning.

Got off work, went to my other job, picked up Classics Grimlock and Classics Mirage, along with Cybertron deluxe Megatron. Not too bad of an afternoon.

18. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Went to Target at around 4:30pm, picked up a Classics Mirage and Grimlock, JLU Elongated Man and went to dig up the SW:TF Millenium Falcon I hid on Sunday for $15. That was it.

19. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Worked 10 hours on Thanksgiving, 10 hours today, and 10 hours more tomorrow. No fun here. I gave up on what had been a tradition of hitting the JC Penny stores for their free Mickey Mouse ornament/ snowglobe. Just too tired this year.

-Tony!

20. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Went to Staples at about 5:40, and the line was fairly short. It quickly ballooned though.

I went to get some updates for my computer:
    Internal 200G HD - $20 (Old HD is 40G, with only 2G free right now)
    External 400G HD - $100 (after rebates)
    HP Photoprinter - $40 (have had a digital camera for 2 years, figure its time I be able to print the pics out),
    60 pages of photopaper - $2.
    Internal, dual format DVD-RW - $20 (to replace my 8 year old DVD drive).