Birds of Prey

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Altercron, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Well since we have a Batman:TAS thread, threads for all the new DCAU movies, and Im sure there's a Smallville thread floating around, why not one for my favorite of the live action DC series?

Anybody else ever watch this show? It premiered on WB at around the same time as Smallville and makes a quick reference to it. They had some interesting reimagining of some of Batman's rogues gallery. And had loads of references to the Batman comics of the 90's. Was a good show, too bad they cancelled it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I remember it when it came on. I didn't really think much of it, since I never did get a chance to watch it, only commercials. Had no idea it was DC related until about a year ago, let alone Batman related.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Never saw it. But Dina Meyer in her Batgirl outfit is relevant to my interests.

4. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I knew of it but never watched it is there any news about that crazy re-imagined robin series?

5. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

It's actually not too badly done. I picked it up on DVD a few months ago. As long as you're not a die hard continuity Nazi, then it's a fun re-imagining of some of the Batman characters. Having the Huntress as Batman and Catwoman's daughter was an interesting direction. I thought the show had some nice potential; it's a shame it never landed a second season. The only thing that really started to annoy me was the excessive use of the same "runs across the rooftop and leaps off" CG scene. Aside from that, it was better than some of the shows still running today.

6. Optimus Sledge

Cancelled AFAIK. I think it ran into the problem of WB not wanting something that might confuse the continuity of the Nolan Batman films.

That and it would have been shit.

7. Altercron

They didn't come up with that actually. Earth-2 Huntress is the daughter of Batman and Catwoman. I think they just tried to combine Earth-1 and Earth-2 Huntress into one character for this.

8. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

eh i would have given it a shot.

9. pmoverlord-1972

pmoverlord-1972 the enforcer of all

loved that show got the dvd set it's got the girl from 12 rounds in it

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I watched it when it first aired, but never really got all that into it. If I'd been as big of a DC fan then as I am now, I probably would have liked it more.

11. Altercron

I actually bought the DVD having only seen the pilot episode prior to its cancellation. I think the only thing they did with the series that bugged me was the Clayface redesign. And even then I can live with it his accent was kinda annoying though.

12. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Watched it religiously when it was on. Awesome show, despite the premise being that one of my favorite super heroes wusses out and closes up shop...

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Clayface was in the show? Didn't think it had that high a budget.

14. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I didn't really like how they portrayed Harley, but it was alright.

15. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I remember that show. It combined alot of elements from BTAS, the set of Batman movies and the comics. I always thought that it was a little strange though. Entertaining but strange.

16. Altercron

Clayface was in the first part of the 2-part series finale. Locked up in Arkham. He seemed to be an amalgamation of all the previous Clayface characters, he looked human but had the ability to change his appearence. So most likely, he could turn into a big clay guy, something we never got to see.

Mia Sara's portrayel of Harley was, and is still, my favorite version of the character. She was so deliciously insane.

17. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Ha, I thought someone had ressurected the DVD Announcement thread. But pretty much my response to the series is still this:

Expanding on that, I thought the TV Show was a rather average affair (on just about every level), trying to ride off the sucess that Smallville was making for TheWB at the time. Not to mention product placement and choices for then popular music (I still go WTF? When they start playing TATU's "All the things she said" as a fight song for one sequence in an episode) was just cringe worthy.

18. Optimus Sledge

Dina Meyer and Tatu? I think I need to go for a lie-down now.

19. Elita_One

Elita_One Метал для життя

I barely caught it because I never knew when it was on/forgot that it even existed but it was alright.

20. Altercron

I watched the series finale last night for background noise while I was painting some of my Warhammer army. Clay did actually appear as a sort of big clay guy though he looked more like the Thing than any Clayface we're used to. The last three episodes had alot more special effects than any of the previous ones.

The teenager has angst? Say it ain't so! You try fighting crime and squeezing in the time to study for a physics final. Didn't work for me, which is what forced my early retirement.

As for being nothing like the comic book....neither was Smallville. But thats not saying alot. Neither were the old Batman movies, Superman movies, X-Men, Spiderman, or really any of them. They all depart from the comics for the sake of telling an interesting story. Of course, this was a slightly further departer. In fact the only comic book movie I've ever watched that was really true to the comic was Watchmen but that's a wholely completely different beast.