BioWare Returning to the Old Republic?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Metal Soldier, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Should be good. Enjoyed the last two KotOR games (though the second should have been done by Bioware since Obsidian didn't do so hot a job on the game story-wise and whatnot). Though I fear how they will further shit all over pre-established EU continuity..just like the last two.

3. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Cool, so long as it doesn't hamper Mass Effect 2 & 3, bring it on.

4. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

KotOR Online, I tells ya.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Read the link. It ain't the Star Wars MMO Bioware is working on.

6. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'll take any KOTOR I can get.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

>_< Kotaku.

8. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

To be fair it's not Obsidians falt that Lucasarts rushed KOTOR:TSL out to get a holiday release date. If you have it on PC checkout the Team Gizka web site to see all the stuff they had to cut or leave unfinished to make the release date(also to see when TSL restorration project will be done!). Having read all of the Tales of the Jedi books years before playing the first KOTOR I don't see how they mess with the EUs continuity the only change I can think of is a visual one in that they make things look some what more high tech, and by the time TOTJ:Redemption came out things were already being depicted as more high tech. If you ment something else please let me know as I am very curious as to how the KOTOR games mess with EU continuity.
    As to the thread at hand if it's true all I have to say is Fuck Yeah!

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    New KOTOR by Bioware? Yus!

I felt Obsidians had a few nice things going for it, (improved inventory system, more mod slots for lightsabers/armour that kinda thing) but really the story felt like 2 steps back, I felt that the story 'twist' was shoehorned in.

Having said this, Darth Nihlus's blind apprentice, the one that you fight and get to join your team sounds a LOT like Kelly Hu. And a quick check on IMDB says I'm right! I thought she sounded hot.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome, I can't really remember much about KOTOR 1 and 2 but I do remember enjoying them immensely.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'll be first in line if it does happen, KOTOR is the best entry in the franchise this decade and I can never have enougth pre-Russan material.

12. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Ive been reading rumors about this since before Mass Effect but damn its good to see some confirmation.

I love KotOR and KotOR II alot and play them regularly. I just need to do 2 more playthoughs to unlock the Jedi Watchman and Sith Assassin classes.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm not surprised by this at all.

As I was playing Mass Effect it was obvious that Bioware could easily throw Jedi and Force powers into the engine and create another KOTOR.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I actually liked the story in KOTOR 2 a little better. While I agree that the "twist" had less of an impact than in the first game, the characters and situations were a little more fleshed out. In the first game you could be as good or as evil as you liked and the characters would have the same loyalty and interactions with you.

In the second game your good or evil actions modified their behavior towards you as well.

However, I do agree that the second game was incredibly rushed. There were glitches everywhere -like the crash-and win swoop races.
    The space backgrounds aboard the Ravager were still placeholder graphics -:lolol .
    But I think the worst was evidence that it was rushed was Malachor V.
    You have to control Bao-dur's droid on a mission that appears to have no relevance to the story at all.
    And, even though you see the Ebon Hawk get destroyed as you crash land on the planet, you are rescued at the end by a fully functioning, factory fresh Ebon Hawk.

Oh, and Bioware, if you are really making a new KOTOR -more HK-47, please.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    First thing that comes to mind is...well, Darth anyone before there should be any Darth titles.

15. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1: Hopefully the story isn't as predictable as kotor 2
    2: Please bioware, don't use that crappy poor dumbed down system mass effect has. People are capable of reading the effects of an item and then equipping it.

16. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Agree with you 100% about every thing you said. Just out of curriousity have you been reading the Knights of The Old Republic comic?

Well that's not that bad of a retcon. From what I can tell the first "Darth" is Darth Andeddu (speculated in Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force).

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Pretty sure it was Darth Bane (Darth having been his name, and every sith since taking the title as some sign of respect or tradition or something).

A bit more than that though. There's the technology aspect, as back when KotOR is meant to take place (there's already EU covering, I think before the time period, maybe the same..can't recall) the tech was not near as advanced.

There's other things, but I've been out of SW (espescially the EU) for so long I'm not all sure on what.

As I see, KotOR is an infinity and has absolutely zero ties to the canon of the movies or the EU.

18. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I've got TPBs waiting to be read, althougth i'm intending to use the new TOTJ omnibus editions as a good excuse to read that again first.

You better stay out of the loop then if your that bothered by it, KOTOR is carved in stone EU and isn't going anywhere.

19. Dr Wheeljack

Dr Wheeljack 3DS

I just installed kotor 2 i got it as a christmas gift im enjoying it so far.

20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Since when? Last I had heard was that KotOR was considered an infinity and not a part of the EU. Just curious.