Bingo-Playing Grandma Guilty in Pot Case.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rodimus Prime, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/wireStory?id=2693369&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Damnit, I told her to stay on the backroads!:banghead: 

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I, for one, breath a sigh of relief when I see dangerous criminals like this get locked up.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Drug runners are drug runners, be them sterotypical gang youths or elderly women.

Makes no difference to me.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Indeed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that ALL habitual bingo players should be locked up.

[​IMG]

6. Random Autobot

I don't see the world in quite the same black and white way you do. To me, this is just another example as to why we in North America need to seriously re-evaluate our laws regarding marijuana.

7. Jux

I see it as two different debates.

This woman was a criminal, engaging in criminal activity. I don't see why the outlook would change based on the fact that it's some old woman.

At any rate, even if marijuana were legalized, I doubt that there would be loose enough regulations for this woman to go about legally obtaining her bingo money. Which means she'd probably resort to something else. Because she apparently loves bingo.

8. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Maybe she just has REALLY bad glaucoma... though there is some irony here to pot junkies needing to take advantage of a bingo junkie grandmother... "Bingo is a gateway drug!"

9. Random Autobot

All depends on the sort of society you want to live in, I suppose. Technically a man who steals a loaf of bread to feed his starving family is no different than someone who steals money from an ATM machine. However, when you look at the root motivations of why they stole, you start to see very different pictures. Should they both be locked up for stealing, or should the man with the starving family perhaps be given some assistance by his community?

I would say this woman needs a stint in Gamblers Anonymous, not prison.

10. Jux

Once you start playing "The ends justify the means" game you open the door to a full world of hypothetical situations, all used to justify illegal behavior.

I feel bad for this woman. Yeah, she needs help. But she broke our laws and should be subject to our punishment. Many prisons have programs setup to help with gambling, alcohol, drug addictions, etc. What happens when this woman is let off with probation and a stint in some twice a week rehab program and some thug from South Central serving time on running drugs wants the same deal?

11. Random Autobot

I see it more as "extenuating circumstances" as opposed to an end justify's the means thing. Not every crime deserves a cookie cutter response. What purpose does sending this woman to jail serve, other than waste money putting her through the prison system. Certainly she needs to be shown that what she did was "wrong" but there are less severe ways of doing that. Have her involved in mandatory community service, amke sure she is made to go to an addiction program.

Prisons have a tendency of taking a person who made one stupid mistake, and teaching them how to become better criminals. Not that I am saying it will happen to this woman ( I highly doubt she'll get jail time, even in America) still, for such a minor offence, why bother running the risk, when there are other ways to deal with the matter?

12. Jux

She will most likely be involved in rehabilitation programs while in prison. And it's unlikely she'll serve the full term of any sentence she may get. And that said, can we even be certain that it's just some innocent lady running drugs to support a bingo habit? There could be underlying factors at work here.

I'm still curious as to what you think about the other felons convicted of similar crimes. Say we sentence this woman to a year probation, 1000 hrs. community service, etc. - and then a thug from the streets gets busted with 200 lbs of pot in his trunk and wants the same deal. Should he get it too?

13. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

well atleast i can go back to playing bingo now........and i am still waiting on if i can have burger king.......oh come on, you guys know i had to make a joke here somewhere............well, i guess i didn't, but did she get caught with any elm? cuz i would have been up old craps creek if she did!

14. Jux

I don't think I understand a word of what you posted.

15. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I know I didn't understand any of it.

16. Hound_Dawg

oops sorry, bad joke about an allergy i have to pot, and elm.....and bringing up the burger king incident where they put pot in the hamburgers.

17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Wreckgarr posts on this board? :eek: 

*edit* I know it's not T.V. references, but it's about as Intelligible :lol 

18. Hound_Dawg

GOD DAMN IT how'd you find me out..........oh wait, that's not me.:confused2 

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

Bingo addiction??

20. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Eh, shes an old lady. It was either bingo addiction or taking in too many stray cats. Not much of a choice