Binaltech predictions

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zzyss, May 13, 2008.

1. zzyss

zzyss Well-Known Member

2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I hope they make a Leader for the Decepticons. Thats all I want. Other than that I gave up on Binaltech/Alternators ages ago.

3. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I've seen a custom of skids soundwave. Just the head was different I think.

Wouldn't know where to find that pic for you since it was in the Junkion

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Soundwave custom you're thinking of was created by Lucs, who based his idea from my Alternators Soundblaster custom: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Alternators-Binaltech/Soundblaster/

Lucs' custom Soundwave sported a G1 Soundwave head and weapons.

My Soundblaster uses the Cybertron Soundwave head and weapons.

:) 

5. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
  6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    No problem man; always glad to supply a shameless plug :D 

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think this is a cool thread, but I'd like to attempt to steer it back in the intended direction:

Given the routes Takara and TakaraTomy have gone down and the one TakaraTomy is starting to venture into with the upcoming releases, what do you predict will happen (not want necessarily want to happen) with the Binal Tech line?

I certainly don't want to be pessimistic, but the line has not fared all that well for them in the past. Can TakaraTomy pull things around a fourth time or is this truly the end of the road for the line?

8. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I'd like is a die-cast Ford GT, not necessarily Mirage, and a die-cast Jaguar XK Ravage, but what I'd like to happen and what actually happens are two different things though.

What seems to be happening is that Tomy is reusing existing mould tooling, I doubt they'll invest in die-cast tooling for those two I mentioned above, so some more repaints are probable then.

9. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I fear the line will end up being more repaints. However, what I'd like to think is going to happen is, now they've got these first four variants out the way in this latest restart, they'll go in for a few new molds.

I'd like to see the Ford GT Mirage & Honda Civic Rumble with die-cast, and they have repaint options right there too (Frenzy seems obvious, and maybe Drag Strip or Blurr as a GT, perhaps). The GT & Civic would be new molds for Binaltechs (ignoring E-Hobby Rijie), and they weren't flogged to death as Alts either, so that would be a step in the right direction - then followed by some properly new molds!

I wouldn't mind Skids-as-Ironhide or Convoy-as-Trailbreaker repaints along the way (perhaps E-Hobby could step up & have some further involvement with the Binaltech line), but essentially I really hope Takara Tomy move onto to new molds and don't just keep rehashing the existing ones; I think that'll turn off a lot of the previous BT fans, tbh.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I really don't see that happening. My guess is that they're just burning through some of the molds that they still have the licenses for before they expire. With the high cost of licensing and the fact that Hasbro isn't going to be releasing any more Alts to help make that money back, it's not financially practical for TakaraTomy to make all new BTs. Maybe some new head sculpts, but seeing as they're not bothering to do one for Arcee I doubt even that will happen.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well despite the arguments that have ensued within the recent "update" thread (mostly due to wishful thinking it seems), I do say that this is pretty accurate:

That silhouette is obviously not a Nissian Skyline or even a 350Z (as much wishful thinking I could muster for either of those two, it certainly doesn't change the image itself.). The image may be at a slight angle, but not so much of one that it would totally distort the properties of the image.

I'd also say that given the evidence we have so far with these first four, it's highly likely for us to see more repaints (I think I'm just stating the obvious here). I think this is right on here:

I know I'd be curious to know exactly when those licenses expire. The Impreza mold is from a vehicle that has had a facelift, and the Ram SRT-10 was a lemon to begin with. While I know that the license to produce these still exist, I do find it odd that these were chosen. However, we already know that Takara had more leeway with things than Hasbro ever did.

I'm going to have to agree mostly with Switchblade with debunking the majority of this. Trailbreaker was planned for the Jeep if anything (and why neither Takara or Hasbro made him is still beyond me), and Ironhide was designed by Hasbro as the Ram. I'm certainly not saying that TakaraTomy could make Ironhide and Trailbreaker as you've mentioned; I'm just saying that they probably won't (especially TB since TakaraTomy has already made that mold black with BT-17).

The Civic option sounds pretty viable (at least more so than Ironhide as a Scion and TB as a Ram SRT-10), especially as Rumble and/or Frenzy (as evidenced above). With this option, I'd be shocked if they released them with Rumble being blue, since Takara or TakaraTomy have never released a "blue" Rumble (sorry all of you FirRib guys).

I have to say with the move to make a "movie" version of Jazz, I'm surprised that a Bumblebee wasn't made initially. It seems as if TakaraTomy is going down the road with "movie decos" that this bot would be the prime candidate [/bad puns]. Barricade's absence I can understand a bit more (BTs were never 'intended" to have Decepticons, Barricade is a Salene product, therefore possibly interfering with licensing, etc.), but not having a Bumblebee surprises me, especially if this new venture is to "test the market."

Given my last statement, it seems to be the consensus of posts* I've read (and I'd agree with them) that this venture will be a poor sampling. Fans of both lines have been turned off for a while on "just repaints." Sure, there are hardcore collectors like myself that are completists, but that's not the target group I'd imagine. The Impreza mold itself has already been overused to the point that the mold itself has started to be worn out (which is my biggest shock as to why another Impreza was made). TakaraTomy already made a Convoy out of the same mold (albeit sans diecast) and Meister gets a 3rd straight-up character release. The S2000 mold variation is new to TakaraTomy, since the Decepticharge mold was imported as an Alternators toy initially (as Decepticharge). I just think that if this "reboot" of sorts is intended to test the market, there could be a better sample taken with different product.

[*it is also known that several fans complain about toy X being "just a repaint" and then when they figure out it will be "rare", ebay and the rest of the secondary market gets stampeded]

12. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

hopefully we'll get a Megatron out of this line before not too long.

13. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with your gloomy forecast. I see no evidence to suggest this is a proper revival of the Binaltech line; four repaints with no remoulded parts, they're just milking existing moulds.

14. Soundwaves

Soundwaves Member

I hope they do a re-run on GTO Mirage, i really liked that mold but was unable to get one. they are too expensive now but I think its likely they might just do another run of the GTO mold, maybe a different colour like for Dragstrip or even a Wildrider etc.

As for characters not yet done, I wonder if they'd do any of the van types like Ironhide or Ratchet.

15. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    With regard to Switchblade & Superquad 7's points; yeah, I agree. It's just what I'd like to see happening with Binaltechs, and why I think that could work - tho I very much doubt that'll happen :)  I'm pretty sure we're in repaint territory only here..

Still, can dream n all that :rolleyes:  BTs & MPs were what got me back into the transforming robot malarkey.

16. zzyss

zzyss Well-Known Member

As an argument for more repaints, look at each BT toy from design through to production. I think the former "costs" the company much more than the latter, since they have to get the licensing, design the toy, put it through prototypes, etc. Therefore it's expensive both in terms of time and money.

Production is almost negligible since any factory in China could pump these things out - the number of KO's that exist attests to that.

Therefore, considering that there are already 2 molds that have been produced but not used in the BT line (Rumble / Ravage), I imagine that it will be more cost-effective for TakTom to use them rather than to create new molds.

But this isn't to say that there won't be any... the line used to churn out a new mold every 2-3 months, wasn't it? That's an entirely reasonable possibility, assuming that the uptake of these latest models is reasonably high. I'm sure they understand that they've released these models before, but as a business person, I can understand that they are not simply targeting the "collectors" who loathe repaints, but the "new market" who may not have seen the line before, or were waiting for the right colour/model/make to come along before purchasing.

Hope that all makes sense :p 

17. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I'd dearly love to see the BT line continue in some form as the Alts/BT's were what re-awakened my love of Transformers as an adult. I am quite pessemistic though, as to the prospect of any new molds. If Takara are "testing the water" with the new repaints then I fear they might not find the water profitable enough, as I certainly don't need yet another Impreza, Dodge RAM or Mazda (I MIGHT have picked Arcee up if she'd had her own headsculpt, but all I see when I look at her is a pink Decepticharge.)

I really hope I'm wrong, but this whole thing feels more like a "last hurrah" for Binaltech than the start of a new glorious era.

If we do get new molds, I'd love to see a Megatron in some form, and perhaps they could bring out Arcee as a motorbike (I'm thinking of Animated Prowl here and imagining an upscaled BT version of that)

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    convoy repaint - white/blue magnus

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    "Kiss Players" felt like the "last hurrah" to me, and we all know what that was . . .

I agree with you: it doesn't seem to me that this new batch is going to produce a good sample for them. Personally, I was glad to see how things ended with BT-18; I felt that was a nice end to the line.

I'm still surprised that a Megatron of some sort hasn't been tried. I know Hasbro wanted to make the Caddie had the Alt line continued, but I just find it odd that one wasn't made during the line.

My prediction: TakaraTomy makes these four, people initially say they don't like them (so far, so good); they come out and some people scramble for them, boostering the price on the secondary market; the next BT comes out and people gain a small interest; TakaraTomy repaints a few of these to stretch it out a bit; end of line.

20. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Kiss Players:
    A gaint 120 story monolith in the middle of the transformers franchise with a huge flashing neon sign at the top reading W-T-F?

Yeah, I suspect your prediction will indeed come to pass and, with all the hate she's getting now, Arcee will probably become one of the most sort-after molds in a couple of years time! :D