Minor/Repaint: Binaltech Outlaw

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fateastray, Jul 4, 2009.

1. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Binaltech Shank

edit: CRAP, didn't realise SQ7 already made a bt Outlaw...!! Guess I could call him Lawless or something...I was originally going for Andy. Seriously..

New name: Shank

definition:

A knife or other sharp instrument used by prison inmates.

why: 'Shank' has no gun, since it wasn't included, and only has melee lightsaber thing. He's more evil than good, so I guess something prison-lingo would suit him. Open for critisism though.

This guy started out as a KO binaltech Prowl. He has the worst paintjob and a lot of paint apps were missing (e.g. only one eye painted). I really disliked the look-a-like autobot symbols.

I ordered this guy though, because of Superquad7. His decepticon-squadcar transformers looked awesome, and I wanted to make one.

I renamed him Outlaw. He's a former decepticon, and he's old school, using only his baton (because the damn box didn't include the engine gun LOL). He can be considered as neutral-evil. A bountyhunter and a (double-)spy.

I regret not being able to do anything about the joints, I'm afraid of breaking them. =/ I also broke a rear-window whilst disassembling one of his legs.

Given, I wish he had a better finish. However, I'm really glad on how the design turned out.

Attached Files:

2. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks nice man so how much was it and was it a roadbot but looks nice

3. fateastray

4. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    why can't you call him outlaw? SQ7 isn't going to press charges if you do. or is he? hmm...

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, thanks for the props, and I'm really thrilled my customs inspired you to make your own! The customs I've made of my own Alt police cars has been truly a labor of love, and I'm glad to see you enjoying some of that as well :)  The aspect about this piece I really enjoy is the purple you chose for the secondary color (and trust me, I really don't see Barricade there; honest!). I also love the fact that you went with a CHP classic style color scheme with the white doors/hood only. I like all styles of police cars, but that scheme is just eched in my mind from T.J. Hooker. :lol 

I really like the work you're doing and just keep having fun :thumb 

It's no secret that I pour a LOT of work in just the identity/IP of each of my characters, but as long as no sale and/or claim on those things are being made, I'm not going to raise much of a fuss, especially if one is respectful towards me and my work.

That being said, if nothing else, all one has to do is read the Radicons Guidelines and Etiquette for more on these things and more :wink: 

6. fateastray

Thanks guys.

I wasn't even going for a (what you call 'em?) CHP classic look. I just took some black paint, and went to town with the mutha' =P. I hardly know what US squadcars look like. Ours look waaaay different, like this: http://www.dereporter.nl/wp-content/uploads/Image/algemeen/2008/Januari/logo_politieauto.jpg

(I tried doing a design like that, but the striping is a b tch to do)

It was only afterwards that I noticed it looked like the barricade-kind of policecar.

The thing I loved most about SQ7's robots, were those gold faces. It can make a friendly autobot into a nemesing decepticon with only that, I just HAD to try that...hehe.

I suppose there's no legal measure holding me back naming him 'Outlaw', but still, as SQ7 said, the identity of his figures are carefully thought over. And not only out of respect for that, I don't want myself to feel like a rip-off.

I'm looking to find a new name for him. I'm looking at websites describing police and prison lingo. So far, I found something interesting.

Since my figure didn't come with his engine-gun, he only has his melee weapon. And since he's more evil than good, this might fit him:

Shank

definition:

A knife or other sharp instrument used by prison inmates.

(I'm now trying to rub off the star-symbol on the hood, but MAN, is that thing on thick. The fake autobot-symbols were no problem at all, but this thing has like a gazillion layers.)

Now excuse me while I found out who this T.J. Hooker woman is!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I should have clarified: "CHP" stands for California Highway Patrol. It's certainly not the only police force to sport the white doors/hood+black car deco, but it's at least a reference point. I apologize for any confusion. :) 

I must admit for my own work that I simply wanted some variety at that point. It was after I designed the gold on those faces that I had the same realization as you ("Man, this looks evil!"). Red eyes will set that gold face off as "evil" too :ev:  I think it's interesting to hear your whole process as well. Again, I'm certainly privileged and blessed to have helped you in that process :) 

"Legal" issues aside, this is what I want people to see and do. When I've created characters, sometimes I'd come up with a name and such only to find another fan has not only used the name I "came up" with, but it's very obvious that the name/identity is very special to them. Not only out of respect for another person, but I'd always continue my game of puzzle-solving, making this a part of the process. I'd compare it to playing a video game, going through a maze, and having to simply turn around out of a dead end.

Having to go through the creative process like this, I've found, is much more rewarding anyways. I've valued the time I've took to do my homework, research name databases, etc. and then finally land on a name. I'd like to think many others will value that process as well :) 

I'll help you out there, bud:

"T.J. Hooker" (1982)

Not specifically a woman (though Heather Locklear was part of the cast, but a show. Growing up as a kid, I watched many different television shows, with T. J. Hooker, CHiPs, etc. I've always loved a good car chase and a good "cop" show :) 

8. fateastray

"Follow that car and phaser's on stun!"

Well, you really got me into the alt/bt line! I just arranged to pick up an alt. rodimus this wednesday.

I wonder if the whole weathered-steel/dry-brushed look fits these figures. I think it'll look good only with very little black left underneath.

Oh, and ontopic:

I screwed up the hood! I just couldn't rub the police-symbol off! It's really stuck into the plastic. Then I figured, let's make the symbol black, like, with a white star within. I was searching for a black fine-tipped pen, waterproof, but I could only find a fat marker...Figured I could take a shot at it.

I shouldn't have.

I outline it the best I could, but every time, the one side was a little thicker than the other. Then I tried adjusting the other side of the emblem. Same problem. And visa versa. In the end there was just this big, ugly black smudge on the hood. Ugh!

Solution:

Scratch of the black on both sides of the hood, making those white again, And spray the inside of the hood black. The colours are now inverted. I'll make a new picture shortly and upload it.

It looks less like, for example a CHP-vehicle ;-], but in robot mode, the black adds to the evil look. (That sounds unconveniently and unintendedly racist, sorry)

9. fateastray

Added some new pics to first post. And yes, it has the TF movie logo! Just for the hell of it. I ordered some Decepticon repro-labels. We'll see what happens then!

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol  I was really going for "Andy" but that's MY name, you can't use it either!! :p