Binaltech or Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jazz Meister, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Okay so I was trying to stay away from Binaltech/Alternators but after seeing a bunch of customs at a local Transformer store. I really got into these. My question is should I focus on Alternators or Binaltech. I usually fall towards Takara releases on figures but I was thinking if I had to get some painted for customs would it be better to go with Alternators? I only see painting a few Silverstreak and Smokescreen, the rest I think were reprolabels. Anyone have any QC or other issues with there Binaltechs or Alternaters.

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

ALTS!

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    If you are looking to customize, Alternators may be the better option. BTs can get pretty pricey and plus they already come with incredible paint on the diecast.

Also, playability/poseability favors Alternators. With BTs it's pretty much transform them very carefully so you don't scratch any paint and try to find a pose that can handle the weight of the diecast.

BTs offer more characters though.

Either way, they represent some of the best that TFs have to offer.

4. conan050

conan050 Well-Known Member

I went for the Alternators, but then I saw how awesome the BT were and ending up getting them too!

5. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

what razerwire said.

as for qc issues. i remember alternator prime having inverted autobot logo on some of my alt primes. 2 out of whatever number of primes i went through had this problem.

6. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    If you want my opinion, I'd say whatever you can afford. Where as Binaltech are alot more solid than Alts (& less likely to tumble over in botmode), There can be a big difference in price (being that they're not available @ retail anymore). I own some 15 Alts & 4 Binaltech & they're all displayed side-by-side w/ my MPs. :) 

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Good summation here. You really cannot go wrong with either. I prefer Alts personally because I don't want to baby the paint apps. I'm also a cheap bugger, so Alts worked for me.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    If you plan to transform them frequently (i.e. more than a few times) go with alternators. As Razerwire said, you have to be careful when transforming BT figures because of the potential for scraping the diecast parts. Since most of the BT decos were released in the Alternators line, I'd say pick out a few BT decos that realy impress you be it (Zoom Zoom, Yellow Tracks, BTA Alert, etc) for purely display pieces and pick up the rest from the Alternators line.

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Or be like me and get all of BOTH! :D 

10. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Binaltechs are kind of scary to transform. I've had a few in the past, but I only still have dead end (for his alt mode!). I'd rather have alternators after fooling around with BTs.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alts, they look great and you can transform them, and they are more stable on their feet than the BTs

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Or like me.

13. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

If you're planning on doing customs, Alternators. Diecast is a bitch to bash, and the paint can scratch off easily. Plus, the metal can cause balance problems (Titanium series anyone?).

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Cosign! However, most of my BTs are still sealed. I think the Alts make better "playing around with" bots whereas the BTs are more for display only pieces. Also, the diecast is great on the BTs, but they can be top heavy, especially with the plastic ball joints and other plastic parts that are essential for stability.

15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I would have to say Alts. From a purely financial standpoint.

16. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'll echo what others have said and say that Alts are the better choice for playability and customization whereas the BTs are more display pieces.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You sure?

Alternators have: Rumble, Decepticharge, Swerve, Camshaft, Rollbar, Ricochet, a proper solid color Mirage, and the jaguar version of Ravage.

Binaltech (counting askerisk and kissplayers remolds) have: Red Alert, Broadblast (blaster), Autotrooper, and Arcee.

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I rolled with Alternators for the most part and am quite glad I did. No QC or balance issues. Of the Binaltechs I have, three of the four (Blaster, Red Alert, Arcee) I own only because there are no Hasbro counterparts, and a fourth (Skids) because the Binaltech was actually cheaper than the Hasbro version when I was perusing online listings. None of my Binaltechs have had the paint issues, but then again I've only handled them to transform them the first time to 'bot mode and only again to repose them or move them around my display setup. I loathe the diecast parts on them because it makes them a bitch to pose (Skids and Blaster are particularly annoying). The only other Binaltech I'm thinking of picking up is Overdrive, since it actually has the gun part that the Hasbro version doesn't.

19. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Ok, just gonna agree with this. Without the customizing, I would say undoubtedly BT, but since you are going to paint them up, go for the Alts.

Oh and be sure to post your customs when you get them done.

20. Razerwire

News Credits:
    You're right. ALTs offer more characters and BTs offer more variations of characters.

Convoy/KP Convoy
    Smokescreen #7/Smokescreen #8
    Tracks/Yellow Tracks
    Streak/Bluestreak
    Smokescreen GT #1/Smokescreen GT #2
    Meister/Zoom Zoom/Silver Meister