Minor/Repaint: Binaltech Hummer H3: Trailbreaker & Ironhide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Napjr, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, you heard that right!

I got the latest A&E Metals Transform KOs, this time, remolded Jeeps as Hummer´s H3! (Click for my review of the things :D )

So anyway, i got both just to make Trailbreaker & Ironhide

What do you think so far? The good part is that being a remolded Jeep, Swindle´s head fits perfectly

Im not quite sure about Ironhide, i think the head is too small... any suggestions? I might end sculpting a new head...

Either way, these heads are not final, im gonna repro both (in a couple of days once i receive my HA BB, to copy the head also) since i dont have doubles...

Now, about the colorschemes... I think they only need minor repainting for the waist and upper legs, the rest of the parts are already looking good for each character (silver legs for TB, gray for Ironhide?)

Any suggestions so far?

Update 31/07: WIP Head for Ironhide, using the KO as base, eyes arent in place until sculpting is done

Update 02/09/2012... Look below!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  2. sentinalsupreme

sentinalsupreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    interesting

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not going to do either Trailbreaker or Ironhide with mine, but I'm not sure yet who'll I'll make. I figure I'll get em here first then decide :) 

I highly recommend valkfan's Ironhide head, though :) 

4. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

Nice. I was on the fence about getting these guys but your review sold me on them. I just wonder who I could possibly use their original head sculpts for?

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think the Skids head just looks too small... especially when he's standing next to Trailbreaker there. Skids probably has the smallest head of any Alt, so it's a hard problem to avoid.

I'm planning on using the head from an oversized Classics Astrotrain KO... it's about the perfect size, but it's not an easy KO to find anymore, so it might not help much.

Many folks have used Alt Prowl's head for Ironhide, but I'm thinking an Alt Bluestreak/Ricochet head would look great, with the horns and side vents cut off... especially the way the central crest would come right down to his brow, just like the Ironhide animation model.

I once saw a great Ironhide head made from an Alt Sunstreaker head. It worked really well because that Sunstreaker mold has these bags under his eyes that make him look older.

zmog

6. sstralkowski

sstralkowski FodderBot

I had the same idea when Is aw these. Good stuff, man. I think the Skids head looks fine, but I'm not the kitbashing pro some of these others guys are. Maybe my standards are lower.

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Well, my car broke down today, after wasting a $5.00 cup of coffee on tan slacks. As I sit and wait at home for repair work to get kicked off, I see this.

:rock :

I say they look great, and I think that the if you modded the head a lil it would be perfect for the mold. Is there anyway to work in an Intake valve into the mix, give it more of a G1 feel? Thanks for making my day, bro. :thumb 

8. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    I like them but I do agree Ironhides head is a tad small hell maybe just bulking the helmet portion with some epoxy a little would help. On another not Nice new Banner Abx23 ;) 

9. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, i decided to sculpt a new Ironhide head using the KO as base, with bags under his eyes as SMOG suggested :) 

I might take pics of it tomorrow, once some details are worked out

10. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

been lurking around and saw your review. These would look so awesome. Ironhide or maybe motormaster. I want one.

11. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! Im glad you liked the review :) 

Well, WIP Head for Ironhide :D 

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mmmm, that head's lookin' good!

13. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy shit! talk about a shelved project!

Although, it seems to be that way with most of my stuff :( 

Anyway, after a long hiatus and different things going on with my life (among other things, a total house remodelation since last year), ive started to take out some stuff from the storage bins, and i found these

For Trailbreaker, i need a Swindle/Rollbar head, so for now he keeps his original KO head, but he is pretty much done, made some touchups yesterday but hes been painted for the most part since 2010 i think. The forearms are now painted in silver, with black details and a little red triangle similar to the G1 toy launcher trigger

Ironhide, something wasnt right with the head i was sculpting, so i tweaked it a little, inspired by Casey Coller art from the comic miniseries, i even made a lower lip! i still need to make some touchups and final adjustements, sanding and obviously paint the thing (thats only a little mockup using sharpies). Looks rough but lighting didnt help either

Some other stuff was painted since the last time, like the legs and added some gold to the forearms to mimick the G1 strip in a way of course

No work has been done so far on the replacement tire/gun

In the meantime, anyone could help me to get some extra alternator heads i need? :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  14. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

They looks pretty go so far. Will be keeping an eye on these.

15. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm diggin' that Ironhide head man....

Glad to see you back at it again too man.

16. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    The Ironhide head looks excellent.

17. SMOG

The Ironhide head looks a bit on the rough-hewn side... which works for him, though it still clashes a bit with the rest of the body. It feels like it just needs a bit more refining/smoothing, but I love the design of it. Looks old and rugged. :) 

I've got these exact same two figures (even swapped the forearms like you did). I just thought I'd mention that there's an alternative way to transform the legs that reduces the amount of door kibble that's just... hanging there (the only weak point on otherwise excellent KO Alternator reshells). I'll see if I can post a picture shortly.

zmog

18. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Oh yeah! i still need to tweak that head a little further, sculpting is pretty much done, but i need to sand it and remove the temporal paint :) 

Im also interested on see that alternate transformation :) 

19. SMOG

Snapped a few pics for ya!

I prefer transforming it so the hips face backwards and most of the kibble faces behind. The trick is that you only half-fold out his foot-pads, so he loses a tiny bit of height. This way the backseats end up on his shins, but I consider that to be acceptable. That way you can either replace the seats with something that looks better (they're pretty much hidden in hummer mode anyway), or paint them, or whatever. I actually do something very similar with my Alt Hound to make him shorter and to make his feet seem bigger (more like his G1 toy).

You could do it the other way with the folded kibble on the fronts of his legs. Doesn't look too bad that way. The last picture shows the legs facing the other way.

It's not perfect, but I like it better than having all the doors flapping around. :) 

zmog

Attached Files:

20. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You know, these are neat alternate transformations! but honestly, they arent working for me, mainly because you loose the sculpted shins and in the case of my red Hummer, the ankles are so loose that he cant stand like that (unless is transformed the official way at least)

Years ago, on my review thread, Donocropolis found another alternate transformation, http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...mmer-h3-review-jeep-remold-2.html#post3985535

I really liked it, but as Superquad7 pointed out, the tailgate pieces are very fragile (and mine being broke doesnt help either)