Binaltech Hummer H3 Review (Jeep Remold)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Napjr, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or "Conversion Metals Car" remolded Hound by A&L

[​IMG]

Oh boy, this is awesome! Quality is very good, diecast content and pretty much all the chasis remolded

Got em yesterday from chimunmung, they came bubblewrapped and arrived in pristine condition. From what i can tell you can find them in Black, Red and apparently, yellow. Also there´s another package variant with them in robot mode (but takes double the space, keep in mind while ordering from China!). Ghenzao also have them in stock if anyone´s interested

Now onto the review

First, lets talk about this package. Designed similar to the Binaltech boxes, features a front window with a displayable background, i can see some inspiration from the movie line (mainly with the pseudo eye for the car stand) with lots of Engrish on there. The sides are also windowed to see the front and the rear of the vehicle like the real deal. The box have the same height & lenght dimensions of the original, but the width is slighter smaller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car comes fully protected in clear plastic just like the original releases. The display tray is made of sturdy cardboard and great printing. Inside you can find the gun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The instruction booklet, comes with one side to transform to robot mode and the reverse order on the other side. To be honest i didnt bother to read at all those but i bet its full of engrish and confusing steps. Saddly, the detail booklets (mimicking those of the real Binaltech), from the first releases of this company are long gone

[​IMG]

Overall, at least for this package version, presentation and inserts is top notch and make a nice piece for display, unless you are bothered with the Engrish. You can always make a custom box...

Lets see the figure:

Wow! so many remolds that at first glance you wouldnt know this used to be a Jeep at all! Construction is very well made, with diecast on the right areas (look at the pic highlighted in green to see whats metal), enough clearance to prevent paint chipping), H3 chromed logos (as well rear mirrors). New rubber wheels and rims (They kept the lettering of their later releases, "Ybertronian Adial")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is pretty much a 1/24 Hummer H3 06´ (i took my ruler and compared to the real dimensions and its spot on), the only noticeable differences is the rear bumper (they didnt remolded Hound´s feet at all), and the front doesnt have the "H3 plate" below the grill. The extra tire on the back its the same of the Jeeps and pretty much all the interior (seats, console, dashboard), is from Hound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enameled Painting is well applied to all the vehicle and to the plastic pieces so they match very nice, very glossy like the real deals. Something that applies to all these KOs made by this company, is that not all the panels align smoothly, and saddly this also happens with these bots, the back doors mainly, but with some minor force can be corrected. The wheels are kinda flimsy, as if the peg was too loose to hold em up, but honestly, is barely noticeable. I noticed that the H3 logo on the passenger door is installed upwards,tried to fix it but its glued with an strong adhesive)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transformation is the same as the Jeeps so i wont mention that, however, there´s a few extra steps with the extra pieces. First, you need to separate two tabs on the side fascia (similar to BT Jazz) to transform the legs. The roof is on a hinge just like the Subarus but the windshield keeps poping out (the pin on the dashboard is like 1 mm shorter), goes back without much problem, but something to keep in mind and prevent breakage on the long run (since the windshield is made of clear plastic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The back doors only goes up and down, so they just hang like that on the photos. The back door and panels, fold nice and rotate on a pin installed on the rear lights (clear plastic). Try to transform these very gently since tolerances can vary from figure to figure (i broke the red one after finishing the photoshoot... i was able to fix it though). Saddly, these just hang like that next to the ankle, but on the right you can fold it better and close to the leg, something you cant do on the left thanks to the replacement tire (however, you can unscrew it and sits better like the other leg, the peg is strong enough to hold it without the screw)

Robot mode, there´s not much to talk about him other than he is slighty taller than Hound, every robot mode is not remolded (except the Head) and doesnt comes with the little gun on the rear tire. He comes however, with a Knock off rifle from the Roadbots 1:32 Hummer H3 (go figure), he can barely hold it thanks to the unremolded handle, but is kinda nice. Obviously there´s no way to store it on vehicle mode (other than put it inside him). For the head you get a flatter Hound head with helmet remolded and added mouthplate. Pretty basic if you ask me

Quality issues, hmmm well, the balljointed legs were extremely tight, i though i was going to break them! if you can, try to shave some extra plastic on the ball socket (i did this with my dremmel tool and a ball tip), but not much otherwise it wont hold it anymore (the red hummer got a loose leg thanks to this...)

The front seats doesnt collapse as nice as the Takara/Hasbro originals (seems to be a tolerance issue with molding deffect), but this is a known issue since the first KO Jeep made by A&L. Also, the plastic that connects the abdomen with the waist, its extremely loose, as if the hole was bigger than the pin

Final veredict? Seriously, if you love Binaltech & Alternators and like the Hummer´s, try to pick one of these! fully recommended! Just be aware that being a KO you need to be extra careful while transforming, otherwise you might broke an expensive KO (since these will cost you around $30 or more, each)

Both of these will be converted eventually to Traibreaker and Ironhide, since all they need is new heads and minor repainting (i think only the legs and waist should be repainted anyway)

I hope A&L makes reshells of their other KOs (Like the Subaru´s, Mazdas & Viper´s) and i wish they made at least the Mustang´s... since the other company making them (as well the Prowls) are made of poorer quality (heck, 2 years ago i got 5 KO Wheeljacks locally, and all but one had the left leg ball joint socket broken!)

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Nice.

I smell Megatron kitbash potential.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Where can I buy?

Can we get some 'bot mode pics from the front at higher angles?

4. rkg123

rkg123 Well-Known Member

great review! loved all the pics and descriptions and a nice looking ko :) 

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    expensive KOs

6. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well to be fair, i only paid $12 each (plus shipping obviously), i think in the end, i paid like $25-30 each shipping included (i ordered other 2 KOs of other things)

Sure, i took another pic before disassembling both figures... i hope you like it :) 

[​IMG]

I noticed the neck balljoint is installed backwards, dunno why since the Hound KOs always had that piece correct

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can't wait for mine to come! :) 

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Whoah.... might have to get a couple of these. The leg kibble is a bit cluttered, but overall, for KO's, they look like winners! After seeing your Trailbreaker mod of the black on, I think I may attempt the same.

Also, that head that comes with them by default looks like it would make an almost spot-on perfect Runabout/Runamuck head.

Thanks for the review!

9. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And i cant wait to see what you do with them :D 

Hey! youre right! those make great heads for these two!... hmmm i have an extra Meister laying around...

10. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks good. I thought the heads would be a good match for Rampage though myself

JL

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I got mine today. The red Hummer's tailgate broke on the hinge as well on mine (and the glue is now drying after I sanded the rub areas down too). Also, the black Hummer's hinge where the neck pops up is really loose. Aside from those minor issues, I really like these a LOT. :) 

12. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Annoying isnt it? the neck hinge for both of mine also became extremely loose. Im gonna fix that once i finish the new heads

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not a happy camper having to fix this.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

That Black one. I shall someday make that into my Alt. Trailbreaker. It is fated by the gods that be that I make an Alt. Trailbreaker from that Humvee.

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I guess my camp of liking Trailbreaker as the Jeep continues to dwindle? Instead of making him, we got Swindle!

/G1 Wheelie

16. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, for a time it was nice, but Trailbreaker deserved a bigger vehicle :) 

17. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    That's cool man, I bought KO BT Laserwave (A&L) and Wheeljack (?) before. A buddy of mine found a job in China that pays well. He travels back home every year, so I got those two for maybe $20 - $30 total (including some sticker sheets from separate orders) back in 2007. KO Laserwave had a bunch of diecast, but Wheeljack was all plastic. Overall not too bad. But apparently A&L is taking this to the next level with all the wild repaints/retools.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The Laserwave is one of the RX-8 knock-offs of the Binal Tech molds of Laserwave and Meister. The Wheeljack is a knock off of Alternators Wheeljack, hence the plastic.

Typically, these kos run around $30 or so. Personally, I love the RX-8 ko. A&L may be willing to do more, but I don't think they have the capacity to do much more. Frankly, these Hummers surprise me.

19. Napjr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, as Superquad7 said before, Wheeljack (along with Grimlock & all the Prowl variations) are KO of the Alternators, but made by a different company, hence the difference in quality

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Just so you know, the "H3" symbol on the right door is a very easy fix. All you have to do is unscrew the inside door panel and remove it. Then remove the excess glue around the tab connecting the symbol. After this is removed, just rotate it on the front side to the desired position :)