Minor/Repaint: Binaltech Deviant

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    de·vi·ant (dē'vē-ənt)

adj. Differing from a norm or from the accepted standards of a society.

n. One that differs from a norm, especially a person whose behavior and attitudes differ from accepted social standards.

Ever since we got the BT blue version of Prowl, he's bothered me. I'd think most of you guys by now figured out I like my police cars. Not that I think Prowl has to be a police car, but the blue version just looked half-hearted to me and out of place. I never felt the the blue Integra matched up well with Prowls head and robot parts. That being the case, the blue version of Prowl always bothered me.

You guys know that Binal Techs can get pricey, and I didn't want to mess with my only BT blue Prowl. I told myself that if I was able to get a second for a decent price, I'd consider the problems I had with him.

God has blessed me with Ages Three and Up. I was able to get a BT blue Prowl for a reasonable price and alas I entered into the process of solving my problem . . .

I first wanted a totally different head (because this BT ain't gonna be Prowl anymore and certainly not an Autobot!). I took a BW Transmetal Megatron head and went to work. I sanded off all of the tendon/muscle sculpts first and then I shaved off that dumb grimace from his faceplate (sorry, but I have this hangup with TFs and teeth). I got to thinking about the faceplate, and I decided that I wanted him to have faceplate without a mouth, but I didn't want the typical "Op Prime" style faceplate; I wanted a receding faceplate rather than one making his face bigger. I was able to achieve what I wanted with sanding and X-Acto knives. :)  This is an illustration of the plan that also ended up exactly like the result:

[​IMG]

After I made the head (and while Spencer was shipping the BT blue Prowl to me), I started to plan out the color scheme I wanted. Here is the digibash that I made to map out my plan (but not to win any digibash awards, :lol ):

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Looks interesting

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    . . . and here is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the head and the blight stick:

[​IMG]

. . . and a closeup of the head:

[​IMG]

Essentially the only changes I made from the digibash are:

• I made the head details a dark gray instead of black
    • I put the Decepticon symbols on the sides of the arms instead of the front
    • I painted some of the details to pull them out some more

I actually like both versions of the legs that a kitbasher is able to achieve with this mold, but I really wanted the undercarriage of this mold to give a bit of contrast. Also, one of the small details I really like are the knee joints still being gray and the legs being the turquoise I mixed up. I know that there are a few G1 Decepticons that bare this sort of color scheme (and ironically enough I finished this here during Botcon), but I finally decided to make this guy a totally new character that has a personality of his namesake. :) 

For more photos, check out the Customs Gallery: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Alternators-Binaltech/Deviant-BT/

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty cool! Reminds me of an Alternators Seacon...

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was considering making this guy either one of them or either Darkwing or Dreadwind, but I decided to just go my own way with this guy. :) 

Thanks for the props, bud!

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Looks good, and yeah I get a pretty Seacon vibe from him.

7. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some ones gonna say it sooner or later, it looks like a g2 breakdown to me :D  Very good job, especially on the head. Name?

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I can see how one might make that connection (like I said, this color scheme is vaguely synonymous with "Decepticon" color schemes [much like black and purple]) , but this would be why I didn't make [another] Alternators Breakdown:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are all reasons why I decided to name my new custom "Alternators Deviant" instead of choosing a character to homage.

Again, thanks for the props guys; it's much appreciated! :D 

9. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

As you're keen on police cars have you seen the " Alt -like" Toyota Crown police car

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow....just wow....

The colors are poppin' and they all flow togehter very nice....and the mods to the head....fantastic.....

And I love the name "Deviant"....I can here Megs saying it, and it sounds really cool...good job bro!

:thumb 

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Somebody mentioned the seacons above; that was the same thought that went through my mind. It's a really unique selection of colors for the robot mode, very 1987-1988 G1 color scheme.

I like the new face; to me, at least, it looks like he's got a great big menacing grin. :D 

12. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

wow, your alt breakdown rules!

13. Ringslinger74

Ringslinger74 Active Member

Gods above and below!!! I love your customs! This is just another in a long line of great work!!

-Erik

14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very nice SuperQuad7!

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, but I haven't seen them on ebay in a little while. There's always things when I don't have money . . .

Do you (or anyone) know where I can get those? (not just the police cars, as they made sedans as well)

Thanks pk! That "flow" was the main objective with this piece as it was my main complaint with the BT blue Prowl. That was the only Alt/BT ever made that I thought just didn't have a nice flow and cohesiveness to it.

That head was fun to mod as well! There are a handful of BW toys I like and that Megs was one of them. What's been really cool about this piece (as you can tell from my digibash) is that essentially from start to finish it's came out exactly like I wanted it to! Even the blue paint I mixed was spot on.

I'll always search through the TF database to look at personalities and such, and I got to the point to where I wanted to use a name from my "list of names*." I think it fits him well too. From a customs standpoint, the alt mode is the same, but he transforms into this guy that's a major "deviation" from what Prowl was. I also thought of his allegiance as him really not figuring out which side to align himself with. I'd think that he just doesn't take junk from anyone, and that'd get him into some trouble. With the carnage that would cause, that's why he'll stay with the 'cons more. :D 

Like I said, I had considered a Seacon or the PM Jets as one of the candidates, but then decided to just go my own way with it. I was working on this guy while everyone was at Botcon, so I guess on some level I was wanting my own exclusive :lol  You hit the nail on the head though: if anything I did want to at least evoke that 87-88 feel for him without having to replicate a character.

Perhaps underneath that new facemask he does and it's able to just show through the new face I gave him? :ev: 

Hey thanks! I made him a while back before I got ahold of the white Viper Metals Transform toy. If anyone has ever painted with white model paint, you know how much of a pain it is . . . and his whole alt mode paint job is white. I also like how he turned out and he's one of the few Alt/BT customs I've made where I did actually try to really stick to his G1 counterpart.

Speaking of Metals Transform toys, right now (if you hadn't guessed from this guy) I'm in the process of making these guys "official" Alt/BT TFs. I'll keep you guys posted :) 

Thank you so much for all of your interaction with my work; it's very much appreciated! :thumb 

16. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

Hey man, this custom rocks ! Every time you post a new custom I'm blown away by your superior work. And it seems that every time you do another one, they just get better and better. The insanity !

17. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

The craftsmanship is excellent. That said, I'm afraid I'm going to have to be one of the detractors of this kitbash simply because when I look at this head, it reminds me of Gary Oldman's self-mutilated face in the movie "Hannibal".

I was going to post a picture for reference, however, it really is disgusting to look at.

Still, nice work.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, I'm aware of the reference and thanks for the exclusion of it :lol 

Your post is acceptable imo, because you were trying to be positive and offer some criticism at the same time. I don't feel you're detracting at all (if you were, you'd know :wink: ). I thought your reference was kinda funny, hehe.

I was, however, very happy to "mutilate" BW Megs face because I've never liked the grimace that he sports. In a roundabout sense, your reference is accurate at least in terms of process.

I really did go out of my way to sculpt the faceplate into a faceplate though. Upon close inspection, one can see that there are distinct geometric planes on the face that effectively form the shape that I was looking for (e.g. I didn't just sand the grimace off). One reason I opted for the dark gray instead of the black was to alleviate the effect you're seeing. People are going to see what they see, though. With the choices I made, I see what I was going after. :) 

Thanks for your feedback! It's much appreciated!

19. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

20. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    MAN.....ANOTHER Decepticon Alt. ?
    WTF ? How many more of these things do you have ????????

Well, this ones a BEAUT ! ! ! .....Hardcore !
    KILLER NEW CHARACTER ! ! !
    I was gonna say "amazing brush skills" nevermind.....

Keep 'em coming man !

THE ALT. LINE LIVES ! ! !

:rock  :rock  :rock  ​