Binaltech-18 Mirage-Will we see more???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Primeconvoy1, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the upcoming release of Binaltech-18 translucent Mirage, do you think Takara Tomy will continue with more releases? The preorder for this item has sold out everywhere (Preordered mine back in April :D ). Demand appears to be there.
    Considering that the Alt. Rumble and Ravage molds were only used once, I can see them being used as repaints even if they are limited releases like E-Hobby Mirage or SDCC Rodimus. I could definately see a Frenzy or Steeljaw repaint for those two.
    Although Hasbro is done with the Alts line, I can see Takara Tomy trying to get as much as they can out of the Alts/BT molds. I hope it continues in some capacity!
    What do you think?

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hard to say, BT or Kiss Players seems about as strong as Alternators anymore (that is, limited to the occasional exclusive). Still, there is a couple molds that Takatomy hasn't touched yet (Rumble and Ravage at least) if they were inclined to release more.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I doubt it. Binaltech seems to be pretty much dead, and it looks like Kiss Play has run its course, too. If there are any further releases, they'll likely be exclusives like Mirage. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    All we need is a energon and a lot of luck,I want more BT's.

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    You know what's going to happen right? (and you can quote me on this next year)

Botcon Exclusive: Masterpiece Thundercracker
    Botcon Exclusive: Alternators Frenzy
    Botcon Exclusive: Alternators Ironhide / Ratchet (using the Skids mold, since it was used once)
    Botcon Exclusive: Alternators Red Alert (Prowl Repaint)

There's absolutely NOTHING of value to repaint for that convention besides MP's and Alts. Movie toys look like garbage when dressed up like G1 figure. Movie toys won't put asses in seats.

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I don't see Botcon using molds that are that expensive for their exclusives. They seem to like to stick to deluxes for that. However I can totally see them using those ideas for future SDCCs. All but the MP Thundercracker, I think Hasbro has learned a lesson from all the fan bitching over the Botcon set (that lesson being, if you make the seekers for mass retail people will buy).

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd be totally down with more BTs or Alts, as eHobby exclusives or otherwise.
    Thing is, FP can't use Alt molds. They don't have the license--Hasbro can through SDCC, because it's 'Hasbro,' but FP can't without permission from the car manufacturers. Same goes for many of the movie molds also.

They might work something out down the road, sure, but right now it's not going to happen.

Which sucks, 'cause I'm not feeling many of the movie toys for a BotCon exclusives. I suspect we'll get another year of Classics mixed with Energon & Cybertron molds, maybe a few non-licensed movie molds (especially Real Gears and later waves), and then we'll move on to Animated.

8. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I really hope so.

i know the Botcon thing is a dead horse, but I'm still a bit ticked having to turn to eBay for a $10 figure, inflated up to $250.

I learn something new everyday. : O

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We do know for a fact that one of the reasons that led to Alternators being cancelled was the high development costs--the return on investment wasn't substantial enough to warrant the continuation of the line (this was stated by the Hasbro team at this year's Botcon).

Having said that, we know that sitting at a factory somewhere in China are some of the most fan-loved molds in the last ten years of Transformers. The research & development costs are no longer an issue.

It seems nearly impossible that we wouldn't see these repeatedly over the next 5-10 years in some fashion, although I would agree that short-run or exclusive releases are probably the most likely outlets.

10. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

That just means if FP did really want to use Alt molds that the set would be more expensive and have fewer figures. So Botcon '08 boxed set would be Alternators Frenzy and Steeljaw or some such.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Fun Publications would have to pay for the license. And to do a limited run of 1200 pieces after paying for the license? Fun Publications, just to break even, would have to charge you probably close to $100 for the damn thing, and then turn around and have it made available on the website. It would be a never-ending cycle of debt on that figure, they couldn't sell enough at the price they had to in order to get anything.

Thus, Fun Publications will never release an Alternators mold as an exclusive.

That, and Hasbro has the final say on what molds can be used, and they've firmly said "No", even when the idea was simply passed by.

And even if somehow they did, the price would be justified, given that it would be an exclusive, not meant to be found at major retail stores, very limited production, etc. Nothing chirps me more than when people think they got ripped off because they had to drop money to pick up a CONVENTION EXCLUSIVE FIGURE.

12. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

i found alternators mirage at target a couple of weeks ago sitting in the hot wheels and toy / model car section so i grabbed it says ont he package that its from 2005

13. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I'm a bit surprised that BTA's so easily forgotten these days. They did a Skids repaint, Broadblast, in that line.