Minor/Repaint: Binal Tech Torque: Rejected Head Design

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys! Sometimes in the design process of creating a custom, one has to make some tough decisions. The following is one from me.

I bought the BT Arcee with the whole intent of "degenderizing" her, for lack of better words. Gendered TFs have always been a bit of an odd thing for me, but I've always used the Energon Arcee for my "Arcee" in my Alt/BT universe. I had always planned on making a white S2000, so TakaraTOMY saved me some work on that end.

So what's up with this thread? Well, the idea I have is to make this character a spy from the G1 "Minispy" promotion:

This is a screen cap from the commercial that debuted the promotion . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . . and a close-up:

[​IMG]

What I did was take the heads from an Alt Dead End and an Alt Tracks and combine them. Essentially, I wanted the intake vents from Alt Dead End on the sides of the Alt Tracks head. Here is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong, I actually like this head a lot, and I am pretty satisfied with my work on it. However, despite the work I have in on it, it's just never fully set well with me as the head I want to use. Digibashing comes in handy with at this stage in the game as well because I can simply import a photo into Photoshop and play around with color schemes without having to alter the piece and waste work. I am pretty satisfied with the scheme I came up with, but it just didn't sit well with me overall:

[​IMG]

I may end up using the head again at some point on another custom, or I may not. It's hard to tell at this point with my work. Regardless, I did want to share this with you guys. If for nothing else, perhaps it can be an encouragement to those who are struggling with a project at the same sort of crossroads I was at.

Just so you guys know, I have actually been working on another head for this custom, and so far I am a lot happier with it. I even like how it better matches the commercial head design (which is my goal).

Attached Files:

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

That hybrid head is actually a much better Sunstreaker head than the regular BT version. Never liked the official head, but a Tracks head with the vent/horns added looks pretty cool.

zmog

3. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

I have to agree with this, although it looks pretty cool on the white body.

4. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

agreed for a third time^

5. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

Make it agreed 4x :D . That screen capture made me think of Windcharger though.....But yay, new head design!

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

It does look great, man. I think a lil more sanding to smooth it out, and it would be perfect! :thumb 

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments, guys. After I made some decisions to move on from this design, I thought I'd share, especially with the photos lying in my PB account. I always enjoyed the "behinds the scenes" types of things, and this is something along that line. Normally, I only post something I'd consider completely finished, but I'm changing gears with how I go about posting threads and such.

One thing that won't change is trying to respond to you guys since you were considerate enough to post and interact with my work:

Honestly, I'd never really thought of that until you mentioned it! I am pretty happy with both designs we ended up with for Sunstreaker and Tracks (I even like Dead End as is :) ). Oddly enough (and you may already know this), but Tracks was originally going to be the Viper at one point, until Hasbro/Takara were finally able to secure the license from GM to make him a Vette.

Regardless, I'm glad you (and others) actually like the head design as Sunstreaker :)  I find that pretty interesting :) 

I really appreciate this, since (despite everything) it was designed to work with the white S2000 body. I wanted to add just a tad bit more color to the head (as you can see from the final design I settled upon in the digibash), as I thought the head looks a bit too bland. I tried some white, but that never worked for me, and the black faceplate I thought was appropriate enough. Despite my reservations and choices, I agree that it works pretty well with the white body, but it just didn't "click" with me. I'm glad that at least translates onto the overall design, even if I'm not using it :) 

I'd venture a guess that the designers had some similar design ques when the original designs were made for both the Windcharager and Minispies we ended up with. :) 

Well, The only areas I'd have left to work out more are the glue/putty areas right above the Tracks vents on each of the cheeks. First, I don't think the photos are exactly flattering of the work to begin with. Also, the area there is very difficult to work with. I've since moved on anyways. As I said, I may end up using the head for something else, or I may not. I am pretty happy with the work done thus far on it. :) 

Thanks for the comments, guys. I hope you enjoy the thread :) 

8. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Well, here I am, late to the party as usual.....
    This has already been said, but, yeah, that head looks sweet! The things you do with Alternators makes me salivate! lol. Makes me wish I could afford to commision something from you. Also makes me wish you DID commisions for me to not be able to afford! lol (I hate "lol", I don't know why I use it so much)

9. roadblaster

roadblaster Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks like you'll have to make a Tantrum alternator now!!!!

10. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

The new sculpt looks great, although I'd find a white face + black vents better looking than visa versa, because I'd fear the face detailing would be lost otherwise.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Nah, I just posted this thread last night, so you're not late at all! I'm glad you took the time to post :) 

I certainly appreciate your kind words. I'm honored and humbled :)  I work at a snail's pace, plus doing commissions really isn't my thrust for my work. Added to the fact is the work I put into Radicons and living a life doesn't give me time for much else. I am reaching the end of my repaint schedule, and after that I'll reconsider the direction of my work. I'll be moving to reshells once my repaints are complete, but I find that I like to have a lot going on. Time will tell :) 

As for laughing out loud (lol, or :+lol), don't sweat that either. I'm always glad to hear of people having a good time and laughing :)  I tend to use the board smilies a lot because they're an easy way to communicate emotion. Normally, I use them to reinforce encouragement :)  Keep it cool, man :thumb 

I currently have no plans for Tantrum, but I'm currently working on an Alternators Razorclaw using the Mustang mold. I've bounced around the idea of a set of Predacons, though. Still no definite plans, but it's something I've been finding myself more and more considering :) 

Yeah, and if I reuse the head later on, I may end up with a different color scheme altogether. Even the new head I'm working on is silver, though. I really want to keep to the head design from the screen cap and the original toy for the most part just because. The sculpted detail is there and won't be lost with paint applications. The only thing that may end up happening is the head not photographing well, which I'm not too concerned about. Mainly, I just want to make sure the overall figure looks good :) 

Thanks for the comments folks! I hope you enjoy this look at the cutting room floor of SQ7 :) 

12. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    Cool, but now you have to make yellow and blue ones as well.

13. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

Reshells huh? NICE! That's something I've wanted to try for a while now. I'm just concerned that my financial situation, mixed with my current skill level, would equal $100+ down the drain. Someday though.... someday. I got a ton of ideas for reshells though. I'm sure you do too, but I'd be happy to pass my ideas along if you're interested, since I won't be trying them myself anytime soon.

Oh, and I can't use smiley's (or attach images, for that matter) because I use my ps3's good for just about nothing web browser usually. This is about the best I can do---> :) 

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    If you're referring to the heads, this is the only one I have planned to make, and even this one has found itself unused, as I've described. If you're referring to the Alternators themselves, we already got a yellow S2000 (Decepticharge) and I've made a blue S2000, Alternators Overcharge:

[​IMG]

Overcharge - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM

With Alternators, I stock pile them when they're cheap. Also, some junkers will serve very well for bodies, since I'd be hacking up the car shells anyways. I'll periodically buy a model kit here and there if I want to lock in on a certain make/model. I'm rarely spinning my wheels for an idea; it's just pumping out the work to get things done.

I always love to discuss custom ideas, especially new character concepts and the like. Feel free to hit me up on my Visitor Messages, or even MSN Messenger or something. I really try to make myself available for hanging out with Radicons as much as I can :) 

With smiley's, I've used some of the same ones so much that I just type in the code for em :) 

Thanks again for the interaction with my work and such guys! I hope you're having fun and that you're enjoying my thread :) 

Attached Files:

15. roadblaster

roadblaster Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wasn't going to do any Preds either, but came across some 'Red Bull' racing decals whilst going through some 1-24 model kits in my local model shop. I thought 'Red..........Bull, mmm..............Tantrum was a Red Bull....' so i went straight home and made him out of an Alt Prime.

Can't wait to see your Razorclaw....the mustang always looks good in black.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, that's a really cool idea! I'm anxious to see yours as well.

As for my work, as burnt as I am with photography right now, it'll be a while. I'm at the 70% point or so now completing him :)  I've taken a number of inspirational artists' work before me (clay, TheTransTorture, and SmokescreenSWE) who have each done something really cool with Razorclaw, and still putting my own spin on it. Razorclaw is quite a bit different than BT Torque here because I've had a VERY clear vision on Razorclaw from the very start. Torque has went though a LOT of different changes, originally starting out as Tailgate even! :lol 

Thanks for your comments on my work, man; it's really appreciated :) 

17. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    hm.....alt/binal preds.....

see, now that's what you should have done other than car seekers
    *shudders* :poke  :horse: 

yeah, I'll still never let that go, though you know I love what you come up with, can't wait for these reshell projects.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :lol 

I love my Seekers, so continue to joke away all ya want, bro! :lol  That project had to be made by me. I think you'll love to hear that I'll end up having 4 more on the way :) 

As for reshells, they're still a ways down the road, as I want to knock out these repaints first. I'm still upset that TakaraTOMY is making me do reshells for the 350Z and the Skyline. I'll never let that go . . . .

19. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    rainmaker set now?

gonna call them smog makers instead maybe?:crazy: 

ooo...maybe the cyberjets, Hooligan and Spacecase maybe?:banghead: \

can't forget the machine wars bots, megaplex and company!! :redface2: 

wait, you mentioned Phantom, so is it safe to assume you want to do all the unknowns and various filler bots?:gen069: 

oh wait, what about the supposed Lady Jet in MTMTE jumping off the platform?I think many call her Seafoam....... :throw 

next, you should probably do that Longhaul painted shockwave...:trolls: 

maybe I should stop, people here probably think I hate you by now. :tumbleweed: 

As Wreckgar says in ROOP, "I'm a pepper, wanna be a pepper too?":duel :stick: 

if you haven't noticed, SQ7, I like to see how awesome a job you do, and tell you how much I hate it. J/K :poke :lolol 

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You'd be right on the above counts.

Thanks for the props, ya ornery ol' goat :poke :