Binal-Tech series status?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sunstorm's Wrath, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Sunstorm's Wrath

Sunstorm's Wrath Active Member

Has there been official word on whether the Binal-Tech line will end (again) when the new series of smaller, real-life car transformers appears? I wasn't at all interested in the last 4-figure run of the revived BT line and was hoping for more, better releases. Clearly, any new molds will not go to the BT line, in favor of the new one, but it would be nice to see some missing characters as repaints any way. Was also really hoping to replace these Alternators from after BT first ended with die-cast counterparts:

Riccochet
    Mirage
    Camshaft
    Ravage
    Rumble
    Hot Rod

I suppose keeping the BT line going would potentially detract sales from the new line, but here's hoping anyway.

2. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's uncertain whether the moulds for die-cast components for the Ford GT, Honda Civic and Jaguar XK were ever developed. We could assume they don't exist, but many of us (myself included) also assumed the BT line was over after BT-17 and then after BT-18, so, who knows.

I suppose die-cast versions of Ricochet (as Stepper?) and Camshaft are more likely since their moulds have had previous releases in the BT line, but this is me speculating.

3. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I wonder if it's going to be canned again, finally, noreallywemeanit, in favour of this new Alternity line. The fact these last 4 BTs have been uninspired, to say the least, does suggest it is just using up the licences while they still have 'em.

I'd like to see BT Rumble & Mirage, and y'know, some NEW molds... but it does look unlikely.

Still, on the plus side, I think the Alternity Convoy looks good; hopefully the complexity, articulation and finish will be up to par.

4. Sunstorm's Wrath

Doesn't Alternity have the same purported price point as Binal-Techs? If so, I think it's pretty clear they're meant to replace them (same money for less material = more profit). The first Alternity being Convoy and the fact that it is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same idea as Binal-Tech, only smaller, really turned me off from Alternity. It always annoyed me with G1 that I had two sizes of autobot cars, and it would be equally irritating to have real cars in two different scales. For people like me, continuing BT wouldn't detract from Alternity since I wouldn't touch them anyway, but for others, they may get Alternity just because there's no BT, so it makes sense to have just one line.

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'll be utterly surprised if there's more than one mold coming out in the Alternity "line".

6. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    That would be a shame but it seems unfortunately likely after all of Takara's other recent one shot novelties. :( 

Was Alt Rumble released in decent numbers? I've never seen one but having finally picked up the Mirage mould in the form of Rodimus I'm itching to get the last mould I'm misisng now.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I would guess no. He was a Wal-Mart exclusive in Wal-Marts that felt like stocking him. There are three WMs in my town, and not one of them ever got in the last two Alts. I'd imagine their appearance around the country was pretty spotty.

8. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    I don't know about anybody else, but my feeling from the latest Binaltech releases and the story they tell (see my translations of part 1 and 2 of Unfinished Business here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/183622-bt-19-bt-20-story-translation.html) is that the last part of the story that comes with Convoy will explain how the binaltech line shifts to the alternity line starting with Convoy.

Given the way the unfinished business story involves the alternate and original universes and how the last binaltech being released is Convoy who happens to be the first Alternity release, I can seem some kind of reality clash which merges the two universes together making the Alternity universe starting with a new, improved Convoy.

It makes sense to me anyway :) 

9. Sunstorm's Wrath

As much as I want to believe that Alternity is a one-shot deal, I have to question why they would give a one-mold line a name. That Convoy is being released by himself in both BT and Alternity. He's also being released in two colors in Alternity... wasn't he originally going to have a second, nuclear puke green release in BT as well?

I also question why they would open Alternity with one mold in two colors (but not two characters) instead of multiple molds and characters. Testing the waters first?

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The Sports Label line had a name, too, and that was just one mold with two different head sculpts and paint jobs.

And the Alternity figure is being released as two different versions of Convoy because Convoy sells. Transformers in Japan is kind of like the failed He-Man line Mattel put out a few years back - there are a few secondary characters, but the majority of the releases (especially in the smaller sub-lines) are different versions of Convoy.

11. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Takara has a clear business model:

1) Wait for Hasbro to develop a new line, create the molds, go through the R&D, help them a little but let Hasbro handle the main burden and let them release the toys.

2) Bridge the time until Hasbro have released enough toys from that line by launching another haphazard high-end collector- or off-brand casual buyer-aimed weirdo "line" such as "Smallest Transformers", "Hybrid Style", "Kiss Players", "Music Label", "Alterntiy" or whatever else it is they're trying out this time. None of which will last longer than the first two or three molds/waves.

3) Release slavish G1 re-hash versions of the toys from the line Hasbro has recently been doing.

Alternatively, their business model could also be described as "Throw crap against a wall, see if it sticks. If it does, throw again. If it doesn't, try another wall."

Seriously, I'm surprised the "Masterpiece" line lasted as long as it did thus far. But then, it still has to see the release of a fourth fully-fledged new mold...

12. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

As if Hasbro's is, or has ever been, something wildly different? News flash, they're toy companies.

Also, you left out the part where Takara does the bulk of the engineering like with Binaltech.

Isn't it just a little absurd to condemn Takara for being slavish from one side of the mouth while ridiculing anything different as weirdo from the other side of it?

13. Red Snarl

Red Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like the line to continue but i'm hoping for at least two more

Swindle=Trailbraker

Skids=Ironhide

I'd also like to see BT Swerve

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just for the record, Alternity figures are not officially named "Convoy" according to Japanese media and eHobby (who I consider as semi official TakTom online shop) as of now. I am aware Fan2Fan and some small Japanese online retailers are selling them as Convoys though.

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    http://www.fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/DSC00328.jpg

Also, for the record, E-Hobby currently seems to think the name of this series is "Transformers Asternity", and the vehicle is a "Gissag GTR".

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So? The merchandise is not listed or advertised as such, just Alternity. Nice picking on eHobby's not so unusulal typo. I'll email them.

17. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

I wonder if they can use the same license they got for the cars used in the movies for more BT/ALTs.

18. Sunstorm's Wrath

I'd rather have the BT line end than be swamped with new molds featuring movie versions of known characters. Releasing BT movie Bumblebee but not the real Bumblebee would be unacceptable.

19. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    The mythical "green Convoy" was, if i remember right, a shot which showed (thru the use of really garish green) which parts of BT Convoy were going to be die-cast. Presumably to make clear it wasn't the plastic KP Convoy repackaged. So the green thing is a red (or green..) herring.

I assume the deal with the two-colour Alternity convoy is that silver is the Nissan-preferred real-world colour, & red is the more traditional Convoy colour. I'm sure some people will buy one of each.

I've wondered whether this will be a one-off "line", but hopefully they'll run with it - if it does sell. No, they're not Binaltechs, but if the engineering & so forth is as good, I won't complain. Better than nothing, or boring repaints of previous BTs, surely..

20. Sunstorm's Wrath

Oh, don't you worry. If this line takes off, there will be plenty of repaints. In fact, if it falls flat on its face and goes nowhere, there's already a repaint. I think it would be cool if all repaints were released at the same time as the orignial color, but alas, that would probably cut down on the number of people buying the mold more than once.