Minor/Repaint: Binal Tech Red Alert

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey gang, it's been a little while since I've posted a custom I know. This one is really special to me, and I've been waiting around to post it. Before I do, I have to give some major props first:

Firstly, Pun-3X's own project [galleried here]was a HUGE inspiration for my own, and I think that's very clear with my own work. I really tried to honor his work and craftsmanship with my own custom. Also, I contacted Delta Star and requested the same set that he made for Pun-3X. Sure enough reprolabels was able to supply the set (thanks Delta!). Another member of this board, valkfan, supplied the custom head. I have to say this is one of the best custom heads I've been able to get (thanks vf!). Last (but certainly not least), thanks to Squall42080 for the cool trade for his junked out BT Prowl for this project.

For those of you who really like the Alternators and Binaltech lines, you might now this bit of trivia: the Honda Integra/Acura RSX was actually originally intended for Red Alert:

[​IMG]

It's a bit hard to see, but this image design for Prowl has a different head in this line art illustration than what we got as Prowl (also, the line weight on the BT Prowl's line art in the booklet is different) [this is the full body shot of Prowl, not the head design we obviously got for Prowl]. Nevertheless, Takara went with Prowl for this mold; Hasbro did the same; and Takara made "Alert" as part of the BT Asterisk line as a police car (which I thought was cool, but anyways . . . ).

Anyways, here is my work:

alt mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

robot mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before any debate about BTA Alert (which is one of my absolute favorite toys aside from QC issues) and my custom comes about, I'll just say that for my purposes, "ALERT" and "RED ALERT" are two completely different characters and I treat them as such. I'm totally cool with having both of these guys in my collection and am rather happy with each.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy my work! Thanks and props again to all of the persons I listed above :thumb 

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dang that looks sharp brah.

3. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Nicely done! :D 

4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I love what you've done here. I have Alert and I hear you on those QC issues. I like valkfan's work but this is probably the least favorite of his heads for me. Great job on your part though!

5. TheDevastator

TheDevastator Decepticon

Damn man, that is awesome! That is the Alternators Red Alert I've always wanted! Great paint apps! I'm not quite sure I could do any better.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    it turned out every bit as nice as I knew it would :D  :thumb  I don't know why I've not ever added that to my to-do list.

[​IMG]

7. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Great job, well done! :thumb 

8. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

DUDE! you beat me to this by a few days. Ive got a custom Valk head , and the reprolabels for mine too.

Anyway great job!

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice, man!

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Nice work! I don't know why they didn't make him Red Alert - then the other Subaru mold could have been Prowl (instead of Ricochet).

11. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, that came out great....very cool indeed, love the rims you added too.....as always the paint looks flawless :thumb 

12. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT work. :)  The black of the Binaltech definitely looks perfect for the character. I also love the custom head. And I'm just now noticing the rims you added. That really makes him flash!

And yeah, Reprolabels does a great job with those stickers--it was really good of them to make those custom clearbacked versions. It really sells the guy more than anything (and it blends with the paint! :wink:  )

Very nicely done. I only wish I was able to take mine apart enough to paint the blue/gray portions in black. I could never figure out how to disassemble the body without making a big mess of the guy, and now I wouldn't dare risk it.

13. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I totally agree and it makes me think of another idea as well. I'm not a huge fan of the Ricochet character but if he was a black RX-8 like Jazz/Meister, I'd buy him in an instant. I love the RX-8 mold!

14. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Wow. NICE work.

Meanwhile, I'm "practicing" with custom Hot Wheels and a FEW Matchbox cars.

15. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OMG that is fantastic!!!!

16. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude......

As Paris Hilton would say.......THAT'S HOT!!!!!!

Excellent work!

-Gregg

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I always love interacting with the comments from you guys, so here we go! :) :

Thanks a lot guys; I really appreciate you taking the time post :) 

Thanks man! Yeah, after I transformed Alert into alt mode the second time, I really noticed it. That's such a shame for such a cool toy. :( 

Admittedly, this is the only head from valkfan I've ever gotten. I am VERY impressed with his craftsmanship on it. I do well to just get the TFs I get and I rarely can get many of the extras, but for this custom I really wanted everything to be sharp since I was using a BT as a base [not that I don't on all of my other work, but I rarely get the chance to customize a BT]. Thanks again!

Man, I appreciate the props, especially since I've got such a high regard for your own work. :wink:  The red came out better than I expected too! [Btw, some have asked about painting diecast; I used my same Testors acrylic standbys here :) ]

Thanks man! That image is great! I always want to make sure I give credit where credit is due, but I did feel like I was on stage at the Academy Awards just not getting an award :lol 

Thanks man! I appreciate your props and taking the time to post! :) 

I've actually had this custom finished for several months (and there are several members here who can confirm this). I hope that doesn't burst your bubble (and especially from deterring from your own work)!

Thanks man! I really appreciate it!

Thanks for the props man! I don't know either. I would have been happy either way, but I'm a bit glad that Prowl is a change from the Subarus (as well as Ricochet not being an RX-8). My intentions with this custom was more of creating a toy that was scrapped to an extent and less for G1 adherence.

I can officially say he has "slick wheels and a custom paint job," hehehe! Thanks for the props man :) 

Props from my inspiration; I don't think I could ask for more :D  I wanted to honor your work as much as I could, but also doing a few things to it that would put my signature on my work as well :) 

I TOTALLY agree with you on the labels. That was SUCH a good call on your part!

Many of those pins are really more trouble than they're worth, which is why I rarely mess with em, so I feel ya man!

Thanks again for your props; that really makes my work worthwhile!

I LOVE the RX-8 mold too (it's my favorite mold I do believe and I PROMISE you guys you'll see more from me using it!). I've stated in one of Wreckgar's custom Alt threads that I have a black RX-8 on the table in progress, but with no intentions of making Ricochet (refer to my response to Dark_Convoy). I'm quite happy with my Alternators Ricochet, especially after my additions to him. :) /shameless plug

Thanks man! We need to see you work on your own Alt customs more! In the meantime, I can't wait to see what you're doing to those HW's!

Thanks man! I'm glad you enjoy it!

Well, it helps that Red is a fire chief too! Wakka wakka wakka!

Thanks for all of the comments guys! I really appreciate each of you taking the time to respond!

18. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    YEEE-OOWWW !
    That's one beauty of a RA ! ! !
    The wheels are soooooo HOT ! ! ! - *tsss...."OUCH !"*....:eek: 
    AWESOME AS ALWAYS MANG ! ! !

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, thanks for the props mang :poke 

:D