Minor/Repaint: Binal Tech Killswitch

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    First of all, I have to give a few props:

REDLINE (for the inspiration of the name "KILLSWITCH")
    ShawnL7 (Killswitch's saber was built by him)

Thanks to both of you guys for your contributions!

Much like Binal Tech Circuit I previously posted, I did very little to change this guy up from his original version. This one is by FAR my favorite Metals Transform toy from the 9 that were made. That being the case, I wanted to do very little to change him. I did swap his arms with some Dead End arms to unify the red a bit more. I, of course, added another one of my custom faction symbols. I also added some metallic red decals I made (using the same paper but just printing a strip of red, then cutting to fit). As with Binal Tech Circuit, I gave Binal Tech Killswitch some forearm and chest decals. Those screwholes on his chest are an eyesore, so I used my holepuncher again to make the circular decals.

I sure wished I could take credit on the awesome saber ShawnL7 made for me, but perhaps in the future I can as he was kind enough to supply me with materials to make my own. It's simply tube styrene that is colored and some other parts all pieced together. Great job again buddy and thanks!

. . . and here is Binal Tech Killswitch:

alt mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

robot mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Where the heck are you getting these? It's like you've hit the lottery or something.

3. Warmachine

Warmachine Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    Another kick a$$ looking Alt mode paint scheme!

You could put a painted Sideswipe head on him along with a light bar and you could have yourself a decent looking Red Alert.

4. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Nice job once again. I see now what you were saying about keeping them pretty stock. They all pretty much stand apart from normal BTs as it is, but adding a bit of flare really helps. I really like how you covered the screw holes, I've never thought of that. Can't wait to see the rest :thumb 

On a side note are your viper molds as loose in the legs as mine are? In other words is it pretty hard to get them to stand up straight? I have the grey one with flames and his legs are very loosy goosy. If you've figured out how to fix that let me know

5. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

I was thinking a splash of green and the Wheeljack head and you could have a more accurate version of Wheeljack.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nice....diggin the saber and the paint apps :thumb 

7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Nice touch up on the screw holes and arms, definately diggin the saber too . These KO's are so awesome small ALTERATIONS are all they need :D 

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Haha, you know EXACTLY where and when I got these; you're memory is just getting bad!

Lottery? Nope. Saving my pennies until I could afford each of them? Bingo!

Well, I don't need two of Red Alert! :wink: 

Thanks for the props, Lucs; I'm glad you appreciate what I've been trying to accomplish here. :thumb 

All of my Vipers suffer that which you speak of. Unfortunately, I have no remedy at this time. The problem lies in the bolts on the legs/fenders. I have made sure the chest area is properly secured and that can help just a little bit (as well as prevent the chests from being floppy as they are with mine often). Also, the ankles are very weak on the Viper mold anyways (that's Takara's fault). Some nail polish helps that a little bit. I hope all of that helps :thumb 

Takara and Hasbro already made a Wheeljack. Since they produced it, it is already "accurate". If you're referring to WJ's G1 self, I honestly have little interest in making it since I already have a Wheeljack. (i.e., I like Wheeljack the way he is :thumb )

I LOVE the saber and thanks (again!) to ShawnL7 for the hook up!

I REALLY LOVE most of the paint apps to the Metals Transform line, which is why I haven't messed with them all that much. :) 

Hey man, thanks for your feedback on my work! I REALLY appreciate it (especially since my work on some of these MT toys is very minimal).

. . . and I'd agree with you that sometimes all a TF needs is a good ALTERATION! :D  Good call! :thumb  :wink: 

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You always do these kick ass Alts!! Color me jealous. Great workk, Supersquad.

10. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Great job on the touch ups. All of them.

Have you had many QC issues on these Metals Transform?

I picked up a set cheap in the Binaltech-type of box (I can't find a pic but this is close) and man...

Smokescreen has 2 right arms - flipped around on the left so it bends correctly - and his crotch was facing the wrong way. Had to pop the legs off, spin it around and put them back on. Some of the metal pegs were inserted at a slight angle and damaged the surrounding plastic. =( Really was looking forward to repainting him all G1 like.

Black Dead End is really loose in the top part, since that bar that the head is mounted on doesn't 'snap' into place. Yellow Hound seems pretty good and I think Red Sideswipe was alright too. Haven't opened the Yellow Sideswipe but it's all scratched and stuff in the box. And they all reek of (I think) mold release fumes. I was hoping for better... but I guess they're not too bad for $10 each.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks man; I appreciate your props!

And it's superquad7 :wink: 

I actually have. IMO, they're significantly minor, but issues nonetheless. Since you have a set (and MAN did you get a good deal on them), you know how wobbly they can be. For the Imprezas, I always use the steering wheel in robot mode to keep the roof from flopping. That's essentially the only major issues I've had with those. I do have alignment problems with them some in alt mode, but if one owns a BTA-01 Alert, the same problem exists.

Also, I've noted how the Vipers' legs can be really wobbly, and it's due to the bolt that holds the leg to the fender part. I've not come up with a solution other than just making sure they're posed well. The Viper mold in general ("official" and KO releases) all have issues with their ankles being weak (so does the S200). The chests can be floppy sometimes, but I always try to make sure they're as secure as they can be.

I did actually get some product flaws that you did with some of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The really cool thing about Kenscollections is that he sent me the junker bots to fix what I needed :) 

12. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Heh, once you see what really bad QC is, you appreciate what Hasbro does more. =)

That's awesome that Ken send you those junkers. http://www.kenscollection.com/ I hope I'm as lucky.

I got my set at http://www.d-o-t-s.biz at the end of the year. They were on sale for $50, regularly it's $75 for the set of 5. They must be a couple person shop, as they went to Japan for the Toy fair and are basically 'closed' until the 14th. I'm waiting to hear if they'd send me a replacement Smokescreen.

EDIT - Actually, the boxes say "Conversion Metals Car" but they're made by A&L... I assume they're the same. I love the quote on the boxes: The joint can be arbitrarily activity, Assemble different combat posture!!

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    QFT! I get tired of all the rants and raves about what Hasbro actually produces. We were very blessed to just get this line!

As for the "Conversion Metals Car", they are the second string of those same KOs. They were first released as "Metals Transform" and then were just repackaged in those larger "Conversion Metals Car" boxes. A close examination of the graphic design on either (as well as the recent plastic "Newest Car Edition") will give you a few chuckles. :D 

I prefer the Metals Transform boxes since they are very close to the Binal Tech's in many ways. :) 

For the Metals Transform toys, there were 9 total different models produced:

[​IMG]

[This doesn't count the straight KOs of Smokescren, Streak, Hound, Lambor, Dead End, Shockblast, Grimlock, Wheeljack, and Prowl]

I hope you get your situation taken care of! :) 

Thanks for all of the interaction guys! I really appreciate it! :) 

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Oddly enough, I was just thinking how much it reminded me of Marlboor...

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    another one bites the dust :D 

16. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's hot.

17. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

all i can say is wow! :bowdown: 

18. meisterworks

meisterworks Well-Known Member

loved your work a well. and the light saber is a neat touch.
    i'm a bit hesistant with BT since they're die-cast and metal surface tends to chip easier. am i right?
    i just got myself my first BT – a loose BT20 meister with some paint chips.
    still contemplating on what to do with him.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hey, it's pretty neat to see this thread resurrected! ZOMBIE!! AAAIIIYYEE!!!

The light saber is a gift from member ShawnXl7. He also sent me the materials to make additional sabers (and I have since this thread). Major props to him on that :) 

The hesitation with BTs is understandable. The KOs aren't too bad. The major issue with the KO Vipers is that the hoods tend to be very floppy in robot mode (nothing a little super glue won't fix, though). I've never had a problem with the KO BTs chipping. Honestly, the only problem I've ever had with a BT chipping is when my BT Skids took a nose dive once. It just gave him a hairline scratch on his bumper, though. Most of the Alternators aren't painted, though, so paint chipping isn't a concern (just looking a little cheaper is :lol ).

As far as ideas for RX-8s, I've made quite a few of those myself too:
    Galleries:
    Backstreet - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM
    REV - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM
    Midnight - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM
    Outrun - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM

Threads:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...tobot-prefecture-police-finally-complete.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208564-alternators-midnight.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/207252-alternators-rev.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/208564-alternators-midnight.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/206295-alternators-bt-kp-outrun.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/206308-alternators-backstreet.html

Thanks for the comments; it's much appreciated! :) 

20. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I, personally, think the saber is too small. Just my opinion.
    Otherwise, It's a sick custom. Love the paintjob and the alt mode.