Minor/Repaint: Binal Tech Artfire

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how many of you guys know this, but one of my favorite toylines is Car Robots/Robots in Disguise. I loved the cartoon (it was just a fun take on Transformers! I don't try to rationalize any more than that). I loved the toys. Just full of win. . . . and how ironic is it that this line led to the Alternators/Binal Tech line? Well, let's just say that I don't believe in coincidence. :D 

I decided to go with "ARTFIRE" instead of "HOT SHOT" just for reasons of distinctiveness (I'm not one of those "everything from Japan is better"). I'll give a spoiler alert and tell you guys that he's not the only custom that of mine that will bear a name from this line, but I really have no plans to make all of the Spychangers (even though I really love 'em!). As much as I like the line, some of the Spychangers suffered from dumb names (Eagle Killer? X-Car? Ox? Oh, and let's not forget "Prowl 2" :lol ). Admittedly, I've never cared for the name "Artfire" either, but I did want to make a specific homage to this guy, so I feel it's the lesser of two evils.

I actually started this "homage" with the toy first and essentially shoe-horning the homage within the confines of this toy, then working out the finer details (which is where my work came in). I used a Grimlock head that I modified, added some red details (vent details and panels lines on the legs, and red details on the top of each foot), and of course Autobot faction symbols appropriately placed :D 

Here he is! Binal Tech Artfire:

alt mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

robot mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

close up of the head:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

This kicks ass but why did'nt you paint his visor?

3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I was all fired up expecting a white targetmaster Firetruck, but this is VERY cool :) 

Great seeing some of the spychangers getting the Alt. treatment.

D/L

4. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Very nice man!

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    :thumb ......looking good buddy!

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    the head is love, Allen :D 

7. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Very nice, man, I like it, maybe if you painted the visor, or otherwise touched up the head (which is already very good) with another color, it'd stand out more.

still very cool!

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props guys! I really appreciate it!

You guys know that I'm hardly ever random, so here is a partial explanation:

[​IMG]

The rest of the explanation is that I did want to directly reference the toy, and the toy's visor is translucent. I didn't want it the same blue that Grimlock's as well so I removed the blue paint. I wouldn't mind a very like sky blue color just maybe to break it up though. I didn't want the "Autobot blue eyes" though. I did want something a bit different with the visor. :) 

You never know; I might end up changing it. Thanks for the critique guys :) 

Well, in that regard, I'm happy to say I disappointed you! I'm glad you like my work and thrilled that you like my choice from RiD :D 

I appreciate it, buddy! As I stated above, I did want to remain faithful to the toy. I was a bit skeptical as to if shaving off the ears and "goatee" plus my paint apps (and paint removal, heh) would be enough. I thought about adding the small cylinders on each side of the head, but never was really sold on it.

Thanks for the props guys! I really appreciate it!

Tech Spec, if you run outside right now, I'll pack this guy up and throw him to ya! :ev: 

9. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Another sweet one. The paint job matches that character really well. It never even occured to me that the paint would be perfect for him. Silly me I just saw dark grey and made a wildrider out of him

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hey man, I'm glad you like my work! This is yet another attempt to make these MT toys special in my collection. Normally I'm really particular about "real world accuracy" with the alt modes of Alts, but the MT toyline is an exception for me. I actually really fell in love with the generic nature of them. This being the case, I even had a hard time getting myself to make these, but 3 "Side Swipes" and 3 "Dead Ends" on my shelf with the "official" releases of each of them and Sunstreaker just made my collection a bit too monotonous. I guess I'm just trying to keep myself amused to a certain extent :lol 

Silly you? Hardly. Man, you've been churning out some excellent work as of late, and I've enjoyed every bit of it! If nothing else, you had the goal to make a set of Stunticons and you saw it through. I've got respect for that. :thumb  I'll say that I thoroughly enjoy your own custom with this mold as Wildrider. Not only is he one of my favorites, but you treated him well with your custom homage. Keep up the great work buddy :thumb 

11. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Great job on all these you've done recently ! ! !
    I'm all for these easier jobs & sometimes they turn out the best !
    Good on yuh, Do you have a collection thread ?

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hey 3T, thanks for the kind words! I agree with you! I'm always glad when my laziness turns out well :lD

As for a collection thread, I mainly only have galleries of my customs. My collection stays in flux so much where I make customs and shoot photo galleries that I never shot photos of em on my shelves. I'm actually working on rearranging them all again since these 9 MTs are finished now. Perhaps I'll shoot some photos here soon! On the other hand, I'm backlogged enough as it is. "We'll see." :lol 

13. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    No worries !
    That'd be one heck of a shelf load of customs Alts .... :bowdown: 

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, it is :) 

I have my Alts/BTs and some other things on one of these:

[​IMG]

I found mine at Sam's Club for $60; they're available from the manufacturer here:
    http://www.gorillarack.com/products/storage/Storage.htm

:D 

15. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I swear to god, you got a stockpile of alternators in your basement somewhere 'cause you're making this customs. Thats impressive.

16. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Badass.

Isn''t this Stepper? I was expecting a Binaltech-ish firetruck *gasm*.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, while I have no basement, I'd have to legitimately promise with God as my witness that I did try to prepare for making future customs when the line came out. That is also to say that I came to a point where the only TFs I was getting was this line. Also, I have my Alt parts thread in the Wanted Ads that many people have been generous and gracious to me with (props to all of you guys who've responded to that thread :thumb  One thing I forgot to add was that I've replaced the cheaper tires with these KOs with Alt Cybertronian Radials :D )

I'm also glad my work impresses you; I do aim to please :) 

Hehe, nope. I have to say that one name change I was actually pleased with was the swap from "Stepper" to "Ricochet." That being said, we got an Alt Ricochet, and I did decide to help Alternators Ricochet with Binary Targetmaster Partners :) 

This will be my "Artfire" though as I currently have no plans for a fire truck.

Thanks for the props as well as taking the time to post; I really appreciate it! :) 

18. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    CR Artifire/RiD Hotshot is an homage to G1 Stepper - so I guess in Japan they decided the names should switch between Stepper/Artfire, and now that character also has a whole new US name in Ricochet. I wonder if they'd already reissued Stepper/Ricochet here by the time of RID would CR Artfire have been called Ricochet instead

Crazy eh

Anyway - great job here superquad, the head is right on!

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Now you're just messin' with my head! :lol  (that is weird! :lol )

Thanks for postin' man! I share many thanks I give to you for the props you gave to me for trying to share my customs.

Ok, I can't do that as well as Takara can :lol 

20. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Interesting to hear about how you got all those parts and bots themselves well there sweet and keep up the awesome work.