Billy book case help.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Neo-Prime, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Neo-Prime

Neo-Prime Leader

Hey guys, I'm planning on up dating my collection in to larger display cases and I'm realiy intersted in ikeas Billy book cases. So I just Wanted to ask any collectors out there that have them all ready our just any cool cats out there, what colour should I get the cases in? What colour will reflect light around more? But still have a cool look.

2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine are all birch coloured. Black looks rather tacky and I guess figures would blend in the shadows, and white quickly looks dirty unless you keep it pristine.

If you want less crowded shelves and have some space to spare, the Expedit series is great. Unlike Billy though, they don't have the option for glass doors.

EXPEDIT Bookcase - birch effect - IKEA

Or course, if you're looking at Ikea stuff for storage/display you also need to consider Detolf, the classic glass case.

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I started buying Black Billy;s but they discontinued them ( this was a while ago they may be back)

I then turned to the dark grey cases. I like em but I am a true fan of dark colours.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah if you can, I'd definitely look into something with glass doors, especially now that you won't have get rid of something to make room for it. They're generally more expensive, but if you shop around & whatnot, then you shouldn't set yourself too far back.

Then when it comes to colour, this'll really depend on your tastes & what matches with the rest of your space. I'd stay away from black & white if you can, but again, its really up to you & what works in your area.

5. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
  6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I went to Ikea quite recently actually to buy 3 Billy bookcases in birch. However, when I got there I found that they were out of stock of the birch and only had black or white left. So I went with white (it helped that they are much cheaper than the birch or oak effect ones) and honestly, it was the happiest accident (to coin a Rossism) that has happened to me in a long time. The white ones are awesome! They look really clean and the colours of each figure really pops against their background now, instead of being dulled somewhat by a wood effect that also does not really catch the light.

Seriously mate, I cannot recommend the white Billy highly enough. And for a bargain too!

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I hate you for getting Jonathan Coulton stuck in my head with the thread title. :D 

Actually, we just picked up a few of the red Ekby Viktor wall shelves and I'll be installing them later today. They're kind of a temporary thing, though, since I would very much like to buy either a Billy with glass doors, or a Detolf, but we don't have the floor space at the moment.

Either way, I'd go with a lighter color (as has been suggested), unless you plan on installing some shelf lighting to go with your collection. That's something I've thought about myself, if only to get the most out of my collection's light piping. :D 

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The only thing about the shelf lighting is that it gets RIDICULOUSLY hot after a while. Almost took my skin off when I accidently brushed my hand against it at Ikea the other week.

9. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure Detolf cases are discontinued.

10. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I heard the same thing about Detolf's unfortunately. I have 2 and I love them. Only problem with Detolf's is that they waste vertical space, but I have used acrylic risers to try to fix that and it works for the most part. I know this is off topic from Billy book case (I am getting to those :) ) but I believe optimusfan has come up with a way to add extra shelves to the Detolf display too.

Anyways, back to Billy.... I have the white ones and I love them. The Billy's add the versatility to add extra shelves as well, for fairly cheap. I currently have the maximum # of shelves in my bookcases and I have the capcity to hold between 120-150 TF's depending on their size.

I alos thought that there were, in fact, glass doors for the Billy's that I planned on getting eventually, but IKEA may have discontinued the doors :(  Not sure about that. I may look into that sooner rather than later.

11. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    I was looking into buying some Billys about a month ago and they do still have glass doors. :thumb  I think they are $40 or $50 per door.

12. Neo-Prime

Neo-Prime Leader

I was thinking of White tbh! They should reflect the light around nicely and I will be replacing all the shelves with glass ones too so that should help, my only concern is that the ikea glass doors come in sliver frames, I have seen them on black Billy cases and they look really nice, do you think they will still pop out and look as good on the White cases?

13. Neo-Prime

Neo-Prime Leader

Yer they are great! I all ready have one covered in my justice league and star wars collection on lol wish they could have glass doors on tho! Dusting is becoming a nightmare!

14. Neo-Prime

Neo-Prime Leader

I do like the idea of black cases and I would get lights for them(sometime in the future, if I know there safe) how well do formers stand out in dark cases?

15. Neo-Prime

Neo-Prime Leader

Would any of ikeas lighting be ok for using with transformers? I really would not won't any of my pride and joys melting our fading on me! I don't think my girlfriend would be too happy with me having to buy them all again to replace! Lol

16. fisch

fisch In a room...WITH A MOOSE!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They werent discontinued, but they have been having QC issues with the Beech effect color and put a stop sale on all of them as a result (BE color was recalled.

I just Purchased 2 black/brown Detolfs at the Tampa Ikea on Monday, 8/29/11. Had about 6 more in stock when we left, and Orlando had about 12 when we checked online as well.

17. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I was told by an employee (while searching the computer system) that they would no longer be getting Detolf shelfs in after their current stock was gone. It was already gone from that store and they do not do site to site shipping. She didn't use the word 'discontinued' but may as well have. It is also gone from the website.

18. fisch

fisch In a room...WITH A MOOSE!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I just checked. WTF. Im glad I got there when I did!

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I couldn't be sure without actually seeing it. I think glass on the white is risky as it could end up looking a bit tacky. Of course it's all down to personal preference in the end. I like the white shelves as it provides a far cleaner look and as I said, the colours look that much better against a neutral background. With glass shelves/doors you risk losing that definition.

I only saw one particluar type of shelf lighting when I was there last. If I had only piece of advice to give it would be to avoid them. There might be something more expensive/better quality out there but the ones that were 3 for £15 (I think) were just an accident (or worse!) waiting to happen.

20. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have billys in birch. Planning on replacing the shelves with glass and getting glass doors.