Billie Piper returns to who

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edge, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php
    "BBC News have reported that Billie Piper will be returning to Doctor Who, portraying her original role of Rose Tyler.

The news was originally reported in today's Daily Mirror, which went on to say: The Time Lord, played by David Tennant, starts with Donna (Catherine Tate) as his helper, is then joined by Martha (Freema Agyeman) and then reunites with Billie's character Rose for the finale. A source said: "With Donna, Martha and Rose competing to assist him, Dr Who is going to be spoilt for choice." The paper also reported that the actress will be in at least three episodes of the new series. (also reported by The Hollywood News, Daily Record, Ananova, and Marie Claire)

The breaking news was actually reported on our very own Doctor Who Forum last night by fans present at filming in Cardiff, including photos of Billie Piper at the location. These can be found in the forum here if you really want to see them! Thanks to Brian_Damage and PMount for the reports.

Update: The official Doctor Who website has now confirmed that Piper is returning as Rose in Series 4, but adds, "Anything you may read elsewhere about when, how or for how long Rose returns to Doctor Who should be treated as pure speculation at this point."

The BBC have also issued a general press release on the Christmas line-up, with the principal item being Doctor Who: "BBC One reaffirms its position as the one to watch with a formidable line-up of television's biggest and brightest award-winning stars. David Tennant stars as The Doctor in a very special edition of Doctor Who, alongside the one and only Kylie Minogue, who plays a waitress on the Titanic."
    Billie Piper to return to Dr Who

Actress Billie Piper is to return to Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed. She will star in three episodes of the sci-fi drama, reprising her role as the Doctor's companion, Rose Tyler.

Rose's return will mean the Doctor has three assistants in next year's series - Donna, played by Catherine Tate, and Freema Agyeman as Martha.

The new series begins in March and will run for 13 episodes. There will be three special editions in 2009 before the show takes a break until 2010. "

Was I the only one who really didn't like Rose?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No, you're not. I thought she was awful, and her irritatingly chavtastic family of dullards too. Then again, I'd pick her over Catherine "I'm nowhere near as funny or talented as I think I am" Tate ANY day.

3. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I'm the opposite I'd rather have tate simply cause we have'nt seen much of her character yet, I got fed up with rose halfway through season 2

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Attn : BBC

I don't pay my licence fee to have one of the few decent shows you make populated by talentless slapped arses, please remedy this situation as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    RabidYak

5. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Who?

6. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I'm betting the sub-plot for Piper's episodes goes something like "the Doctor, blissfully unaware of the animosity between Martha and Donna as they vie for his affection, finds a way, using a one-time-only method, to free Rose from the alternate reality she's trapped in so that he can be reunited with the one companion he has truly loved in his 900+ year existence. Martha and Donna put their differences aside and join forces against their common enemy - Rose Tyler - and find a way to re-trap her back in the alternate reality from whence she came. Hilarity ensues. Oh, and Sontarans."

Ugh. This is why we need male companions again.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I liked Rose, I thought her bad acting made the show pretty amusing. I'd gladly take her back minus Mickey and her Mum.

8. MPollard

MPollard Well-Known Member

The first part is definite Dr. Who style.

The second part sounds more like current Torchwood.

9. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:

Nah, not enough blood, swearing, and ambiguous sexuality to be Torchwood.

10. MPollard

MPollard Well-Known Member

I thought it's kind of interesting that Torchwood has regular use of f*@#, with only so much as a mute to conceal it.

Surprised that was allowed through, especially since it's not an edit from a movie that was originally rated for such, and the show itself is not rated for it. If they want their f*@# in there, all they need to do is re-rate the show, like the Graham Norton show in the timeslot after it already is (and for more than just language, at least based on the commercials).

11. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I wasn't too happy with this news. It would be nice to have a season without her or at least her name being mentioned.

12. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I'm in the minority here it looks like but I think this is new is fantastics.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

One episode of Catherine Tate's character is not enough for me to determine what I think of her. Rose, I'm ambivilant towards. I just don't have a strong reaction towards her, one way or the other.

I like Martha, and I hope she'll be the main companion, for some time to come. She's got a great combination of education, and street smarts. It's nice to see an intelligent human running around with the doctor, instead of soe one he has to talk down to on a regular basis.

14. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Meh. I really didn't need to see Rose ever again. She wasn't a terrible companion (*coughPericough*), but far from the best (*coughLeelacough*). They wrote her out in a good way and didn't really need to write her back in again.

But then Russel T. Davies has a major boner for companions, and Rose in particular, so it's not like this news comes as a huge surprise.

15. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I"m still watching the new season one. So I haven't establish which of the newer companions are better. But then again, I do like this news. Maybe it will change once I watch the other seasons.

16. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Agreed. I really liked Rose's character, but her send off was damn near perfect. I think they should just leave her be.

I was unaware of this, but it makes perfect sense.

I also agree with Lance that it'd be nice to have some male companions again. Captain Jack anyone?

17. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn it, this is what's wrong with Doctor Who these days. It's so much more focused on the companion drama than exploring alien planets (which doesn't happen anymore) or telling real inspirational stories (which happens very seldomly anymore). The only purpose that the companions were made to serve was to help narrarate the tale to the audience. The companion thing is being blown apart in the new series horribly. I hate this Doctor and his romantically involved companions drama with a passion. This is why k-9 was the PERFECT companion. He wasn't emotionally involved, and served only as a computer that got kicked around constantly. The Sontaran episode is the episode is the one where Martha comes back - so we'll get Martha/Donna (I hate Donna) bickering that will get pretty much most of the story's central focus and pushing the Sontarans return off to the side as the sub plot (which wouldn't be the first time that the villian becomes the sub plot). Then Rose comes back. 3 companions to focus on in the finale, plus the Doctor will be so caught up in her that all of that drama will so totally suck away from whatever bad guy is in the finale. They'll be trying so hard to focus on the 4 actors that are the TARDIS crew that the camera and script won't have time for much else. It'll be worse than when Peter Davison travelled around in his crowded TARDIS - because at least Davison went to alien worlds and had real adventures, and he wasn't worrying about his companions all wanting to get him in bed. I mean, look at season 3 - we had only 2 companions at the end with Jack and Donna, not the 3 that this next season will have, and the second companion (Jack) didn't even play a role because there wasn't enough script room to cram him into.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I really hated Martha at first, but after a few episodes she really grew on me, more than Rose. I also liked the fact that Martha was always in Roses shadow, which made her strive harder.

Plus, Martha was a Doctor, Rose was... uh... jobless? I can't remember. Anyway, bringing Rose back should be good, but I do agree with the sentiment that Dr Who needs to visit more planets.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Pity he doesn't have a boner for decent Dr Who stories.

20. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Attn : BBC

I don't pay my licence fee.

But then I don't have a telly, so stop sending me letters about it, okplsthxbye

Aussiehippy