"Bill & Ted 3" Confirmed In Development, STATION!!!!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by RebelMan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When we spoke with Keanu Reeves at the Toronto International Film Festival last week, we learned a couple of things: one, Reeves does a killer Werner Herzog impression, and two, there's another "Bill & Ted" movie in the works!

Lest you think that Reeves was pulling our leg, we turned to the other half of the righteous duo, Alex Winter, for further confirmation. According to the actor and director, "Bill & Ted 3" is absolutely in development.

"We kicked around the idea over the years and had always thought if we could make something that was as kind of genuine in spirit as the originals and without falling prey to kind of retro cynicism or something that was unnecessary, it would be worth doing," Winter told MTV's Adam Rosenberg in an interview arranged, amusingly, via Twitter. "Now the cat's out of the bag, and the truth is that, yeah, we have finally hit upon an idea that we think is pretty great."

"We've been working on it for the past couple of years, honing that idea and getting it into shape," he continued. "[Screenwriters Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon] are working on it now. The bottom line is that we still all feel like we need to sit down and look at a script and see if it's everything that it can be before we set about doing anything with it."

Winter wasn't able to divulge much about what "Bill & Ted 3" will focus on, though he emphasized that the movie won't be "cynical."

"The essence of what we've always wanted to do is to make a 'Bill & Ted' movie," he said. "We don't want to make a cynical 'here's Bill and Ted — you guys are our kids, now YOU guys go be Bill and Ted and the franchise can live for another 25 years!' It's not that. It's a straight up, what's the funniest and most surprising take on where Bill and Ted would be right now if we stopped back in on them? That's what we're doing."

One of the biggest obstacles facing the project, according to Winter, is figuring out how to deal with the absence of the late George Carlin, who famously played the time-traveling Rufus.

"We're working our way through it right now," said Winter. "It's really complicated. He was such a big part of the spirit of the originals, and we've been trying to be clever about making a new one that can handle the Carlin issue. It's actually stopped us in the past — why do it without Rufus? We've been delicate about moving around him."

Thankfully, the thought of recasting Rufus has never even crossed Winter's mind.

"That would be horrible," he said. "That's the thing about the movies — they're personality-based. It's Reeves' personality when he's doing comedy, it's my personality and it was George's personality. It doesn't really work when you're pretending that other people are those people, because there's just not that much there [otherwise]. No, we're definitely not going to recast Rufus."

As for when "Bill & Ted 3" will arrive in theaters, it's still too early to say, though Winter certainly hopes it's sooner rather than later.

"We would love to not be doing this when we're 60, I'll leave it at that," he laughed. "That would involve some major rewrites! In all seriousness, it's a question of when the script is done, when Reeves is free, when I'm free, and getting the whole damn thing up and running. It's a whole process. The first thing we have to do is see if we've got a script that we all agree on."

Though no specific plot details are available, Winter did suggest that the film will take place in proportionate real time to the original, meaning that the as-of-yet-untitled story will be set roughly two decades after 1989's Excellent Adventure and it's 1991 sequel, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

2. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Most excellent.

3. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Still haven't seen the first two, despite all the recommendations I've been given. Guess I'd better see them now.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

dude, bogus.

its a shame you haven't experienced the awesomeness that is Bill S. Preston, Esquire & Ted "Theodore" Logan. But better late then never, man.

Everyone, time to party! *air guitar*

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Fist movie was good the second...not as much.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, those were totally excellent movies and I think I was at the perfect age at the time to really appreciate them. I can only hope the third one knows it's audience.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I love the second movie for the sheer WTF-iness of it. That, and the comedy still works in it, I just think people get put off by how bizarre and out there the concepts were compared to the first one.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I wonder why it took so long to make B+T3? First one was awesome, I loved it! Second one sucked, wonder how bogus the third will be. As long as the original cast is in it, I'm sure it'll be descent.
    Anyone wanna bet it'll be 3D?

9. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I actually liked the second one, the news is most excellent.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well Carlin is gone, and he's one of the main reasons the first 2 worked. Plus the two main characters are getting a little old to still play teen stoner type dorks. It just wouldn't work as well now. Their characters would have need to mature and have a little common sense. But then Dumb and Dumber worked.

11. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    :banghead: 

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I remember seeing the first one in theaters. SO awesome. I remember NOT wanting to see the second one.

How far into the future did they travel? I hope they go to that future.

13. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I personally loved both movies and just within the last few months bought them on DVD so that I could enjoy them all over again! I actually still have the soundtrack for Bogus Journey on CD! I'll be going to the theaters to see this one for sure!

14. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    what?!??! XD A new "Bill and Ted" movie? WTF? XD Well, after reading the first post i can say that sounds good. I am a bit worried that both Keanu and Winters are ...well..old :p  But if "Grumpy Old Men" worked back then...XD
    Will be odd to see those Excellent heroes all grown but could be fun too. ^^

15. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in the 1st film the opening of the future is in the year 2688 AD & that is also the same time Bill & Ted accidentally meet the council while traveling as well

in the 2nd film the opening of the future is in the year 2691 AD

most obvious thing for "Bill & Ted 3" is since at the end of "Bogus Journey" they both each have a little boy with the Princesses it will probably be about how their kids influence the future that takes place even further after Bill & Ted's influence on the future that Rufus lived in & helped save

16. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I liked the first 2,so seeing the 3rd one would be a bonus.

I'm just trying to figure out how 44+year old versions of bill & ted would act like in the 3rd movie. perhaps one can be all serious,while the other is really funny.

Honestly I never thought reeves would agree to do the 3rd movie. as he's tried to establish himself as a more serious actor.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm really looking forward to this! :) 
    Recently I have shown the first two movies to my best friend, but she did not find them so funny like I did. Strange. Maybe she's too young being born in 1986? I don't know... OK, I think for myself, they are not that funny like they were when I was a kid, but I think they are still funny in a way and I'm really excited to hear about a new movie. I would have never expected this!

18. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Whoa

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Re-Read the Interview

You are now hearing the voice of Bill S. Preston, Esq. in your head while you do so.

Whoa.

20. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hope this movie will be most triumphant.

But the truth is Bill & Ted 3 will never be a super threequel until we have Eddie Van Halen on guitar.