Biggest transformer toys collection???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rizzlemus_Prime, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rizzlemus_Prime

Rizzlemus_Prime Bounty Hunter

Hey, Was chilling at home on youtube and saw a news cast from god knows when about a widow who had claimed she had the biggest transformers toy collection and was going to sell it on ebay for a million dollars!!!! Anyone know what happened? Who actually has the biggest transformer toy collection anyone know???

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It... uh, didn't work out quite like the widow hoped. The first two auctions for the collection failed, and the third attempt didn't meet her $100K reserve (which she didn't reveal until after the auction closed) and the final bid was $92,000 which means the widow wasn't obligated to sell. I never heard whether or not she finally sold it. But here's the last article I found on the subject:

http://nctimes.com/articles/2007/08/02/news/inland/3_03_148_1_07.txt

Furthermore, it wasn't even close to being the "biggest" TF collection by a long shot--there were only 275 items in the lot (plus nearly 100 licensed TF products). I have more TFs than that in half the TF boxes I have in storage. This widow's lot just happened to be all G1 still MISB and in impeccable condition. It was certainly a collection to be envied, but it wasn't even close to being the largest. The Hartman Bros collection was probably the largest in the history of TF fandom before they sold most of it off at Botcon last year.

Hasbro.

3. Rizzlemus_Prime

Rizzlemus_Prime Bounty Hunter

lol @ hasbro cool dude, for real though there must be someone after hasbro lol ???

4. perceptor2.0

perceptor2.0 artist

DJ Soundwave i think has the biggest, well at least on this board

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't be too sure of that statement.

6. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I also remember that Auction. In fact it was not so impressive after all.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The biggest one that I knew of was the Hartman's collection, though that's been broken up now.

Dragonclaw's collection is pretty impressive, both his TF stuff and his non-TF stuff. Scanning the featured collections quickly, I've also come up with Kaye and Fiend6669, both of whom have some major impressive stuff.

I've got to hand it to DJ Soundwave, though, that is an incredible collection.

I'd like to think my collection could somehow fit in with / rival those collections, though it is a long way from that level right now. I'm quite happy with the vast amounts of stuff I do have, though.

8. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I also think that in a collection it's not so important the quantity before queality. Some guys aournd here have got what you could consider small collections but made of rare prototypes or lucky draws. Those are very very impressive collections too.

9. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Why did the Hartman's sell off their collection?

10. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

The Hartmans needed to pay for one of the previous conventions , and decided it was time to let go of their collection , and so they did......

11. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Contrary to popular belief the collection wasn't MISB in fact most of the boxed figures didn't even have their inserts.

I believe that the collection ended up being sold for more like $20,000 in the ned and the person who bought it has been selling them separately for three times the price.

12. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't go by what's posted on this board (or any other board for that matter) as to who has the largest collection. I know of at least three huge collections that are not posted anywhere.

It's folly anyways to say that someone has the largest as there is always at least one collection bigger. I use to believe that the Hartmans had the largest untill I saw it. It was a nice collection to be sure, but it wasn't the largest I've seen.

And how do you determin the largest anyways? The most toys? At least one of everything? Exclusives and Prototypes? Weight? There is no way to tell for sure.

13. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Who had their collection on display for the convention held in Pasadina? I believe they boasted that the collection had one of every transformer ever made.

14. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    its to hard to decied who has the largest. True that a collection count would be good but someone who collects everything will have more in totals then lets say one that collects AFa graded G1.

youhave to break down into diffrent subgroupes before you can determen anything.

15. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I think that was either Tony Preto's (or maybe Pete's). Both of them have collections that would dwarf the widow's.

16. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Dj Soundwave claims he has one of each american made TF figure.

17. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I sold about 3/4 of my collection to BBTS last year when I was in hock and got $4000 out of it. It was worth well over $6000, altogether if I had took the time to sell it on eBay individually, but I didn't have the time to do that. I needed the money fast and Joel obliged. Sent all of it on a shrink-wrapped pallet via tractor trailer to Wisconsin. And my collection was right around 2,000 figs.

18. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Heh heh, there's a LOT of us who can say that. I have more than one of 99% of the american releases. But I KNOW I don't have the biggest or best collection.

19. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

I have more then just Every American made TF , I also have 85% of all international Transformers ....and hundreds of double/triples/multiples...... I have over 4000 Transformers.

20. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tony Preto's. He and a handful of friends worked through the night to set everything up.

From what I have heard, they were just getting overwhelmed. Their collection was one of every variant since '84 up to and including Armada, I think, less 6 or so items, some of which may never have actually existed. Any changes in packaging or pack ins they had. Any erroneous packaging, they had. Armada was getting pretty serious about running changes and it started to get frustrating just to track everything, let alone find them for sale. Energon started about the same, and they decided that it was a good time to get out of everything. Past debts may have been an up-side to their sale, but I don't think that's what caused it.