Biggest TF series disappointments

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Seeker, Jul 3, 2012.

1. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Yggdrasil, for the first time we've actually agreed on something, I guess it's the law of averages, haha! I've never understood the whole TF humanitarian acts of people enduring themselves to painfully boring, pathetic excuses for entertainment in the mould of all the laughable nonesense post G1 just so they potentially could find out what was awesome when they didn't even enjoy the experience of doing so! It's ******ed, it's just entertainment, it's not a 9 to 5 job, there are other hobbies I have, other TV shows to watch, I don't have to indulge in hours of shit to get to about 5 mins of ecstasy!

The interesting thing is that Kajinguy19 doesn't even practice what he preaches, plenty a time I've heard him crap on G1 only for him to reveal in a post one time he had only seen the 86 movie of G1. But yet when anyone as much as criticises TFP and a certain fembot, it's toys out the pram, whitkniting to infinity and beyond that would even make the most ardent of fanboys cringe with disgust, coercing people into seeing the errors of their ways and advocting they watch every entire episode of TFP before they can even dare judge it anyway, shape or form! Double standards, who needs them?

The expression;if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it's more than likely a mutherfucking duck, springs to mind everytime I think of TFP. I pegged it for what it is, a bland, boring, uninspiring, unoriginal pile of dung riddled with G1 fanwank every other minute or so, from the first episode. It epitomises what is wrong with the whole franchise since G1!

The problem is that TF is easy money! Thanks to the brilliant innovation of G1 and the rich history of iconic characters and storyline from comics as well. Writers have become lazy, they feel they can just put G1 characters in Pokemon/animated/shrek skin, write forgettable stories and have Optimus say one shall stand, one shall fall a billion times, coupled with above average toys, and wala! you have somewhat successful incarnation! TFP is a culprit guilty of all these cardinal sins! I'd even put it lower than the AEC trilogy, not because it's worse in terms of writing but at least that trilogy was so bad it was somewhat memorable, TFP is just inconsequential at best, it's not bad but it isn't good either, it'll just fade away into obscurity like other forgettables such as the Batman and Wolverine and the X-men. Shows that you'd download 5 episodes in a row, forget to download one week and then completely forget about alltogether!

So what are my disappointments, tough to say! On one hand I can't say I am, post G1, (with the exception of beast wars which I initially gave it less credit than it deserved but still think it's hugely overrated) I've expected shit and got shit, so no surprise or disappointment there!

But I can say I'm disappointed the in the 20 plus years since G1 ended despite the rich history of G1- toys, concept and stories, the whole robots form outer space, the good vs evil and man vs machine concepts, we still haven't had a show that can be put on even keel with the likes of TV greats such as Gargoyles, Batman TAS and-soon-to-be-great Young justice!

And I feel it will be like this for years to come until the franchise is graced with a Greg Weisman or a Christopher Nolan type character. Someone who isn't soley bent on pushing units whether it be toys or ticket sales but actually wants to tell a good story with characters that will stand the test of time!

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Not really disappointed but kinda suprised that nobody can fix a damn soundbox. Although the plot of Megatronus being a Cybertronian rights activist/gladiator before running for office was just...crap. Why can't the Cons just live a simple life and be all they can be as energon nazis. Fun times.

3. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Prime. I started out defending it, since it didn't start off too bad... Other than killing off Cliffjumper, Skyquake and Makeshift. Then it steadily improved through season one. And then came Crossfire, where the show not only killed off Breakdown, but essentially became, as one guy put it, "Xiaolin Showdown meets Transformers" minus any of the good attributes of that show like, I dunno, being fun to watch.

And then we have ROTF. Good God, I hated that piece of crap. It finally made me understand why fans of Star Wars hated Lucas after the Prequel trilogy - and those were not only not as bad as people make them out to be, all three of them are a hell of a lot better than ROTF.

Also, even though I loved TFA, I wish Shockwave wasn't so loyal to Megatron. Kinda makes me wish Derrick didn't hate the Marvel comics, because Sunbow Shockwave doesn't deserve any recognition compared to the awesome of comics!Shockwave.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

The movie trilogy was a huge let down for me. It amazes and saddens me what passes for acceptable these days.

5. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz I LIVE

News Credits:
    Prime has lost me I feel as though that they really have no idea what to do with any of these charecters they just keep trying to build up to a huge suspenseful scene and its resolved in 5 minutes. Sure we have cullen and welker but there wasted on such bland charecters. I hate every single human in the show and I mean everyone. I just wish the series would get interesting or just end because I've had enough

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Oh come on not even Fowler? He's the greatest thing we've gotten in so long.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Energon may well be the king of wasted potential. Never did a thing with Starscream's former Armada self, Took Demolishor's nifty internal conflict and 'upgraded' him back to generic thug, and much more.

One annoyance of mine is the combiner teams from the (pretty much unnecessary) final arc of the series were treated mostly as one big robot that split into five vehicles, "Five-O-Cons", if you will.

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

That title belongs, and will always belong to TFP.

9. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine was seeing the animated Action Master commercial as a kid and thinking that new animation MUST mean they were gonna do a new Cartoon!

-ZacWilliam, other than that... Maybe seeing TF:G2listed in the TV guide but it just being re-edits of G1 and not a new show.

10. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    Up to this point from perspective this may be true. Prime has had many possible storylines that they could have looked more into and introduced but either chose not, went a different direction, or wasn't fully completed up into this point. Many people talk about breakdown dying to early or something but As aaron stated in a reply about this if you no a character arc will save a character untill the end then it takes away the suprise and pretty much gives them plot armor. I myself am not dissapointed with prime I can see from others standpoints where that may be the point.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Well, it's kind of hard to properly do a character arc when you kill the character off for as crappy a reason as Breakdown got. I mean, what kind of development will he go through personality wise when he's both DEAD and acting as life support for Silas?

12. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    you never no until the show pulls through with or without. I was actually suprised as hell to see him and unlike other series like beast wars or animated if his head is gone he's f'ked. I'm not sure if the writers wanted to show of airachnid or maybe baldwin was getting busy or mech needed something to do but it happened and I go with it, but after all it's just my perspective on how things go. To be honest When I first saw the trailer for tfp I wasn't impressed at all and passes it. But then I decided I'd check out scrapheap and luv'd it so from there I followed prime and enjoyed every episode. I'm not quite sure how hasbro hyped up prime before it aired but that may also be a reason why people are dissapointed with it. Each series / show gains momentum and depth a diff points. To me animated started off with it and kept it. To me the movie verse had them lost them got it back. Tfp gained it had it lost some an back and forward. just have to go with the flow or gtfo is my look at life lol

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm starting to fall in to the Prime suxxors crowd. Everyone's right, the plot is not advancing at all.....However I know Shockwave is what will kick the show on track.

14. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

Plenty of individual series have their own disappointments, even the mighty Animated had it's issues during season 3 (which to be fair were more to do with the suits rather than the creators). I'll be interested to see how history treats TF: Prime, for me it's a solid show that unfortunately manages to be slightly less than the sum of it's parts ... but it's decent and manages to achieve cross appeal of the generations. It's certainly already in the top echelon of TF shows.

The biggest disappointment for me was Energon. The show had a strong set up, an interesting post war setting, a mysterious and ambiguous presence in Alpha-Q, shaded grey characters in Rodimus and Skorponok and plenty of action. But it quickly dissipated into nothingness, lots of Kicker and lots of Prime v Unicron (didn't we see this in Armada already). The dub was the low point of Japanese TV shows, typified by the clumsy translation of Superion Maximus' running joke of no one remembering his name.

Yeah, Energon was a real missed opportunity.

15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I have to add that I went back and watched the end of Armada when it originally aired. Mostly out of curiosity and I was not happy about the way Unicron was handled. He seemed to just hang in space and moan and groan, plus the animation style and quality was subpar. I wondered did they just run out of money at the end of the series and that's why Unicron barely moved?

My second gripe is how much I hated Animated Bumblebee. Character wise he was childish and annoying plus it seemed every other episode was centered around him.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Hoesntly in my opinion I do think we're getting some build up to what Project Iacon really is later on in Season 2. I mean depsite the mistkes that the Orion Pax arc did later on we're starting to get clues to what Megatron's up to. Perhaps it's a secret resource draining device that can bring Cybertron back to life or maybe a device that can control Unicron. And the relics could play a more bigger role then what we know so far.

I do agree that Shockwave will really get get the ball rolling later on. He did so in Animated so it'll likely be the same for Prime. :) 

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I think the whole deal there was that while Unicron's body was slow enough to make snails look as fast as Blurr, he acted through various agents like Sideways and later the influenced Thrust to do his dirty work. Kind of like a Mass Effect Reaper, only without turning the minions into husks.

Uh, all Project: Iacon looks like at this point is just decoding the archives simply to locate all the random crap that got dumped on Earth when the Autobots didn't want the Decepticons raiding the armory again for superweapons. Or in other words, it's an arms race/scavenger hunt. That, and aside from the Forge of Solus Prime, the relics actually seem very, very disposable since Bulkhead has already destroyed two of them.

18. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Beast Machines: After watching Beast wars I was excited to watch the follow up. Within the first 5 minutes i realized that this show was gonna suck...I was right.

Robots in Disguise: I was excited to see "Truck not Monkey" but the show sucked...and the unicron trilogy (which really isn't a trilogy because there is little to no continuity) was even worse!!

I appreciate the movies for what they were. Yeah, they were bad...but what do you expect from bay? They gave us some great toys and some crappy but watchable movies (excluding ROTF of course)

I love Prime, animated and G1...nothing bad to say about 'em

19. Jamocha101

Jamocha101 Well-Known Member

Just give me a hug and don't ask questions.

20. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Prime seems to be suffering from Pokemonitis a bit. They have to get them all again. But this time it's okay if the items are destroyed.