Biggest TF series disappointments

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Seeker, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I remember there have been three big disappointments I have had concerning TF tv series.

1. Armada. I had not seen a new TF series in years back in 2002 and I was stoked. When the show finally premiered I was somewhat luke warm. I watched 5 more episodes and I thought that it was time to stop. This show was produced during the Pokemon craze and I more than dislike Pokemon.

2. Cybertron. I heard that Gonzo entertainment was involved with the show and I was optimistic. I loved their work on the first Hellsing series and I had high hopes. When the show aired I was immediately taken aback by the theme song. Then the characters began speaking... I made it though more than half the series before stopping. I read the plot summaries on the rest of the episodes later.

3. Animated. When I first saw designs for the show I thought "what the hell is this?" Prime looks like the Tick?!! Overall the show plot wise is not that bad . Miko from Prime has surpassed Sari in the annoying department. At least Sari was useful.

What are yours?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Prime.

Following the massively successful movie trilogy, Prime was touted and hyped up to be the next best thing for the franchise.

And yet...
    -they kill off one of the three big promotional characters (Cliffjumper) within FIVE MINUTES of the pilot episode
    -pull out some big plot twists far too early in the show (how in the world will they top the "UNICRON being Earth" reveal from the end of S1, and the whole Orion Pax thing was pretty stupid in my opinion when they could have gone so far with it)
    - make Airachnid a major villian who contributes almost nothing to the show (and is also the one who kills Breakdown, the most interesting character Prime ever had)
    - and then make the majority of S2 feel like a Transformers version of Xaolin Showdown (a friend came up with that comparison, but I included it because I feel it's all too true).

Oh, and the lack of ANY new Autobots who aren't already dead is annoying as well. They won't let anything change with Team Prime, since I still don't see any other reason why they keep forcing Wheeljack to NOT be a permanent addition to the ranks.

3. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime

Started off good, and then went down hill fairly fast.

4. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Yeah killing Cliffjumper off like that irked me a bit too. Unicron being the earth's core was a bit deflating.

5. Autobot Burnout

It does explain why weaponized tree trunks are so effective on Cybertronains, though.

6. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    LOL!:D 

7. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    To add to this:

-Arcee. Started off as a good character with a good backstory, looked to be progressing and developing as a character, then reverted back to what she was in S1.
    -Optimus is the worst Optimus in history, only slightly edging out Movie Prime. As interesting as watching paint dry.
    -Knockout and Ratchet. Easily the show's breakout characters, and yet they rarely get a chance to shine.
    -Miko and Raph. One of them is annoying beyond belief and the other is a macguffin generator.
    -Jack's mum. Cool character that has disappeared into a black hole in S2.
    -The music. Started out good, but has become really repetitive as the show has rolled on, especially the theme.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The wasted opportunity that was Orion Pax part 3. There was a golden opportunity for these guys to go a cut above what we'd had before: in a series where being a Prime is a huge fucking deal we could have seen what makes and shapes them......suffice to say we did not get this. We got utterly screwed, and a wonderful chance to really open up a new and interesting chater in the myths of the Transformers was pissed away.

The twisted thing is that the only reason this counts as a disappointment is because Prime was the only show that really raised any expectations at all for me in the history of the Transformers.

9. Jamocha101

Jamocha101 Well-Known Member

Animated. Bumblebee was Hot Rod in yellow, which was irksome. I can't even properly exploit my aversions to how much I hated Optimus Prime in this incarnation. The designs were terrible, Sari was annoying, some of the villians were pitiful, and so on and so forth.

And although this is a video game and not a TV series, I have stated my dissapointment towards Fall of Cybertron numerous times before. With that they muted Bumblebee. Again.

10. Autobot Burnout

Agreed on all counts, although I would go so far and say Raf is a macguffin in general. I mean, this kid is able to understand an alien technology that is far and away hundreds of times more sophisticated than Earth technology within seconds. Why is he attending a PUBLIC school in the middle of Nevada when he's got enough brains to pal around with Steven Hawking, and JUST so happens to be playing around with a toy RC car RIGHT at the point where Bumblebee pops up and trashes some cons, bringing him into this whole mess? At least in G1, Chip Chase had an excuse to be smart because he was already an adult.

IIRC, the original pitch for the Prime cartoon was that it would "explore what it meant to be a Prime". Your first statement reminded me of that, and how poorly the show has actually lived up to that pitch, ESPECIALLY with how Pt. 3 was resolved.

I don't think they had a choice. As stupid as it sounds, Hasbro still is of the opinion that the WfC continuity and Prime continuity are somehow the same. And with the popularity of movie 'bee, the "being mute" thing is a trait Hasbro doesn't want to let go of. Since WfC/FoC is the new "jumping off point" for future Transformers series, and naturally Bumblebee has to be included, he had to loose his voicebox. At least there's still the possibility that, in future continuities branching off from WfC, they'll actually repair the damn thing offscreen so we don't keep getting R2B2 reincarnated over and over.

11. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Beast Machines. Even though I enjoyed the series as a whole, when compared to Beast Wars, it's predecessor and possibly the best Transformers series ever, you can't help but be disappointed.

12. Jamocha101

That's my greatest hope. I don't mind Bumblebee being mute in the movies and Prime so much. But I loved that we finally got hear him talk again in War for Cybertron, and then I read his bio on the Fall of Cybertron website, and was severly dissaspointed.

Also, on topic, I just got in to G1 as well, and was dissapointed with how many characters had either died by or hadn't shown up in the third and fourth seasons. Or changed, nonetheless. Kind of why I don't ever really watch it.

13. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Animated is a complete letdown on my behalf. I was curious about it at first, but as soon as I saw the designs... hated it. Nothing but cartoony looking robots that don't even come close to looking physically good enough.

G1, however, is a completely different story. Nothing but errors, errors, errors, and more errors. Heck, it rivals that with Energon. Oh, wait... It's worse than Energon! :banghead: 

14. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

-That I didn't get a NEST spin-off.
    -FOC muting Bumblebee. Stop already, Hasbro. Just. Stop. :banghead: 
    -G1 killing off all the season one/two characters in the movie. I liked some of the new characters in season three (including Rodimus, who's a favorite), but they won no points with me the way they carelessly discarded so many of the original characters.

Some from Prime:

-Orion Pax. One of the biggest waste of story opportunities I've seen. Especially when Optimus desperately needs actual character.
    -Killing off the characters with personality and/or potential. Cliffjumper had more personality than half the cast, so naturally he bites it in the first episodes. Breakdown had some personality and a backstory that could've been explored, so he randomly bites it at the beginning of an episode. And it's a waste, 'cause Nemesis Prime could have been used in his place.

It acts like it wants to be a serious epic but the storytelling isn't there. Honestly, I feel like this show wouldn't know how to utilize character and potential if a 'how to' manual landed in their backyard with the force of a Michael Bay explosion.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least the first half of season 2 of Prime. Expected a bunch of cool new characters, different settings, and some interesting plots. What I got was more relic hunting and boring episodes. I mean really? Orion Pax was a great idea. But NOPE, let's reset Optimus Prime back to normal after 3 episodes!

Energon sucked, but at least I knew it would suck from reading about it on tfwiki first.

16. Jamocha101

Maybe they'll bring back the Orion Pax storyline in some epic way and we'll all feel salty.

17. Autobot Burnout

But I can't be salty, I don't live by the sea!

That, and I'd be surprised if they ever went back to Pax. It feels like the only reason they even went there was to get the archive decoding started so Soundwave could do the rest. Also, it was a heavy-handed franchise reference most likely, we've been getting a TON of them in this show. Apex Armor, anybody?

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I don't have many but here are some of my thoughts.

For Animated.

The idea of Autobots not being meant to fly: That has me confused. I mean wouldn't that give them a massive dis-advantige in combat? I'm suprised how the Autobots even won the war in the first place without flyers. Thankfully that was changed when Jetfire and Jetstorm came into play.

For Beast Machines:

Making the Beast War characters not themselves: I do have a gripe about how they made some of the characters like Silverbolt into someone their not. I understnad this was a shock for him but he dosn't strike me as someone who'd be that grim. More vengeful yes but again this may be me. Rattrap's a little understandable and Cheetor did develop nicely. Though I can't say the same for poor Rhinox.

For Armada:

The overall story and characters: While this is the first TF show that I've ever heard of Autobots and Decepticons it's also one of the most weakest. Many of the compliants that people have with it is understandable. I don't really hate it however. I do like Alexis and Starscream because they are very intresting character.

For Prime.

Some episode which aren't made well.: As much as I'm into Prime they're re episodes which are made for filler like Shadowzone out of character moments like Arcee in Crossfire or just had too many storylines like in Armada. However in my opinion they aren't too glaring if they're fixed later on which they did thankfully.

And I know this may seem off-topic and I do understand the complaints some people are having with Prime and are vocing them out but we should also remember that Prime isn't done yet. For all we know it may either keep on making mistakes,fix them entirely or in the middle it can go either way. It's like some of us are acting like the show,characters and it's plots are already done when they really aren't yet. We can't say the characters like Arcee's are reset into their S1 versions when their storys aren't finished yet. That goes for plots too. I'm not saying that we should'nt complain aboutt he mistakes because we can and there are times we should but can't we also wait to make a final judgement on the show until it's actually done first?

I mean it's like we're already making a final verdict about if Prime's a good show or not when it's really still in it's second season!

19. DreadwindsGhost

DreadwindsGhost Micro Mad

I'll completely admit that about 45% of my dislike of Prime stems from the fact that they killed off Cliffjumper within about 5 minutes. That didn't endear the show to me at all. Add to that Miko, Bumblebee's creepy relationship with Raph and Airachnid being Rampage without the personality, and well, it's all been very disapointing all round.

20. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    While I loved Animated, 2 things from it were major disappointments. One was that Autobots were incapable of flight (Which makes no sense, considering the millions of years the mane cast alone has lived), and the other was that "Autobot" and "Decepticon" were more than just factions.

Anyway, for whole series of disappointment, Armada takes the cake. I know it improves with the Starscream stuff, but that doesn't justify all the crap that came before.

Prime is a whole other level of disappointment. I don't understand the hate it gets. It's boring, yes, but it's not bad. It looks good, the voice acting is great, and the fights (When not "Stand on opposite ends of the rock quarry and shoot") aren't half bad. My biggest disappointments with Prime is that no one does anything, the characters I want to see do even less (I would love to see more Knock Out), and Airachnid is still treated like she's a good and valuable character. Prime is disappointing, but it's not the worst TF has ever gotten.
    As for the Unicron business, I actually liked it. It was something new using the character, put Earth into a point of significance and made it an interesting parallel to Cybertron, and it was the first time in the Prime series were I was actually interested to see what would happen next.