Biggest rip-off you've had?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by llamatron, Feb 13, 2007.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What's the worse TF purchase rip-off you've had? I'm sure most of you have had one or two bad experiences. For me it was when I bought some Takara SCF PVC's. I got like 4 of the Pewter ones (I think it was Omega Supreme, Devestator, Megs and Ops). I paid like $6 or $7 US each for them and now days people pretty much give 'em away. I also paid full retail price of E. Shockblast and then had plenty of chances to buy him for cheap later. Poo.

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Back in the day before reissues I paid G1 money for an Inferno. When I got the sucker it was G2....and in crappy condition...

I think there are more....I'll post them if I remember..

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I want a TF I can't wait until it goes on sale, gotta have it NOW, so I get no regrets there. Buying a TF in Australia is a ripoff itself, though, I have no problem with paying retail price.

I bought a BW2 base even though I was advised here that it was a boring toy, thought 3000yen is an OK price. It's still at my parents' place and now I don't even want to see it after having seen the same toy sold for 1000yen.

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I bought the God Ginrai reissue for $100. If I would have wated I gould have gotten it for as low as $30.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    a few years ago the webmaster of Seibertron was selling his toys for a fundraiser. I paid an obscene amount of money for his MW Prime. I dont feel ripped off per se, since I felt like I was helping him out and I really do like the toy. But it is nowhere near worth what I paid. (this of course was on ebay where I got into a bidding war. I'm sure if he wanted to just get rid of it he would've set a lower static price)

oh yeah, I didnt actually mention what the price was. That's because it was $80.

6. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I paid about $40 for what I thought was a MetalForce PVC Optimus Prime on E-Bay. When I got it was a cheap knock-off that looked like crap and almost wouldn't stand up by itself without falling over.

So, anyone wanna buy a KO MetalForce Prime?

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Paying $10 for Energon Slugslinger.

8. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Paying retail prices for any of the new mold RID toys.

9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Supreme Cheetor. I waited until he was available for nine dollars plus shipping. I still feel that's the biggest ripoff I've experienced since I started buying Transformers again. That, or BotCon 2002's exclusives.

10. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Call this a close call more than a rip off... I made a deal with this dude at work who still had toys from when he was a kid. He had Metroplex in box and a UM he said he had only taken out a few times... now these havent seen like since 86 so its understandable if hes a little rusty in the memory dept but from what he describes these are in SWEET shape. We came to a price of 200$ for both. After looking on ebay and making some inquiries people informed me that Magnus is fairly cheap so i should see if i can haggle the price to 150$ (dude told me 100 each and i figured a in box metroplex for 100 was a good deal) Long story short.... I got the transformers... Magnus was a mess missing one large fist, 2 small fists and all his missles and the metal joint on his swing arm. Metroplex was in beautiful condition with no chrome wear well applied stickers and almost all accessories (1 big gun, sixguns legs and slammer missing) I complained to the guy and wouldnt you know it he said how about we do 60 for the lot.. I was happy to get my metty for 60 and Magnus can be restored with some love lol.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When the Dreamwave TF stuff was first coming out, I gave my money to one of the big TF sites out there for preordered goods that I never received.

Later I gave my money to a little company for a TF book I never received.

Then I gave some of my money for goods from a convention that took me about a year to receive.

So I was a bit jaded after all of that, and left the game for a while.

12. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Sending the user batlebeasts $315usd for a VSX giftset, price was to good to be true and so was he, now I am out $315

13. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A "MIB" Beast Wars Rampage, the not only wasn't MIB, it was loose in the box with the main gun missing. It was never resolved to my satisfaction. I dumped the first Rampage when I finally did get an in-box one. Buyers beware.

14. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I once bought a MetalForce metallic PVC Optimus Prime... for about $200! This was after he first came out and everyone was sold out, but still, I don't know what the Hell I was thinking. I was so disappointed when he showed up... and even more so when MP-01 was announced and cost half the price I payed for that piece of crap!

15. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Worst I can think of off the top of my head was when I won a black RM Starscream and never got it. Lost about $45.

16. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

KO Devistator for $32 US...

17. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

I got primus for 50 dollars and if i waited 5 weeks, i could have gotten it for $20

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Oh man, I remember this one time where I didn't know I would get ripped off. I traded my Armada Galvatron back in 2003 for a G1 Scavenger. I got Scavenger alright. I got a KNOCKOFF Scavenger with no accessories.

I'm still kicking myself for it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  If I ever find that kid, I'm definitely gonna kick his ass anyway I can. Anyone want my KO Scavenger?

19. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Same here.:(  To make matters worse, my God Bomber broke in the first week or 2. Easily fixed, but still.:( 

20. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Non-TF-wise? Buying a $500 "brand-new" digital camcorder off e-bay from a seller with a very high level of pos. feeback (no negs.) and the finding out it was heavily used and it broke in less than a week. I wised up really quick and never got screwed again. I was actually able to sell it for $250 in its crappy condition. People are insane.

TF-wise? Hmmmm.....I guess just buying stuff that went on sale for far cheaper later like Supreme Starscream or Primus....oops...