biggest Blockbuster of 2012

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hotshotprime43, May 8, 2012.

?

What will be the biggest success

1. The Avengers

50 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. Dark Knight Rises

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. G.I. Joe 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Amazing Spider-man

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Expendables 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

What do you think will be a higher success in terms of making money of this summer's movies

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Avengers in a heartbeat.

3. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    The Avengers and TDKR will definitely be top dogs. Honestly though, between those two I'm not sure who will come out on top. A month ago I would've said that TDKR would've edged out a win over Avengers, but now I'm not too sure. They'll both be huge, regardless (easily $1 billion+ on both accounts).

Next up will probably be The Amazing Spider-Man (my guess is anywhere between $300 and $700 million), followed by Retaliation ($300-$400 if we're lucky) and then The Expendables 2 (maybe $200 million, though the lower rating may help boost sales when compared to the R-rating of the first movie).

Just my thoughts.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    DKR will win big for sure, but might just wind up earning slightly less than the Avengers.

5. SearchmanDS

SearchmanDS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Avengers by miles.

6. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Avengers, all day long. You have this much already made on opening weekends. People talk about seeing it again and again, it just screams the bigges of 2012.

DKR is the final movie in the series of Nolan, so it will do well, but not crazy I think. DK was such a hit because it had the Joker, Batmans nemesis. Bane is more of just one of the new guys he has to face.

GIJoe is a sequel to a movie that was getting such a bad rap. So, who knows.

Spiderman, while I think it will do well, I don't see it doing what Avengers did.

The Expendables isn't gonna be anywhere near the above movies. Expendables doesn't appeal to all crowds, plain and simple. You can't take your kids to see it and expect it to get huge numbers.

In order:
    1. Avengers
    2. DKR
    3. Spiderman
    4. GIJoe
    5. Expendables

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 100% confident that TDKR will dominate all.

8. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Miles? :inquisiti 

It has already earned $702.2 million worldwide! :jawdropper: 

Try light years! :D 

9. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

The Avengers will be the biggest this summer, followed by TDKR. Aside from its 207 mil OW, it also has amazing reviews (93% fresh RT), incredible Cinemascore (A+), and terrific WOM. It is also much more family friendly than TDKR, and it has 3D's higher ticket price to add to the gross. TDKR has no 3D, so basically it will have to sell more tickets than The Avengers just to match their gross at the box office, and I don't see that happening.

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm happily jumping on the Avengers bandwagon. Batman is going to have to pull off something amazing to beat the Avengers this year.

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    No love for "The Hobbit?"

12. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this poll was done at the start of 2012, I would have said DKR, but after watching the avengers and seeing the huge turn out. I have to say the avengers for biggest blockbuster of 2012. I get the feeling the DKR is losing steam, and the newest trailer didn't help. Doesn't mean the movie isn't going to be awesome though :D 

13. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Avengers. Batman can't compete, which is a shame.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The Dark knight Rises will edge out Avengers.

15. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Unless they can get the ghost of Heath Ledger to make an appearance in DKR,it doesn't stand a chance against The Avengers.

I originally had no plans of seeing DKR,and after seeing the trailer,it re-affirmed my feelings of not going to see it.It was bad enough listening to Batman's gravelly voice,and now they have that stupid looking Bane with a terrible voice.No thanks.

The Avengers on the other hand...I've seen it twice already,and plan on going to see it at least 2-3 more times.

16. megapork

megapork Cheese

The Avengers. I love batman (not the user, thats sick) but the Avengers has a hell lot bigger advantage now.

17. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    As of right now, the Avengers. However, TDKR will probably come close. The other movies don't even stand a chance.

18. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like others have said, before the Avengers came out and totally blew expectations away I would have probably bet on The Dark Knight Rises by a very small margin just based on the fact that it is the final movie in Nolan’s trilogy and because of all the leftover love and hyperbolic statements about “greatest comic book movie ever” from TDK. Now that the Avengers has received very good reviews, a ton of good word of mouth and a lot of people planning on repeat viewings it will be very hard to beat. Add to that additional income from 3D screenings and somewhat weak competition for a couple weeks and you have a recipe for truckloads of $$$. TDKR is going to be huge, yes. BUT I don’t think that it will have all the factors in place to top The Avengers.

Spider-Man will probably do well but there isn’t near the hype for that that there is for the other big comic book movies this summer. The previous trilogy is still pretty fresh in people’s minds and despite the fact that it is a reboot they are coming off a less liked installment in SM3, which may factor into the decision to wait until later to see it.

GI Joe – also coming off a movie that has very split opinions. Will probably do better than RoC.

If we’re just talking summer movies I’ll say The Avengers but if we include all of 2012 then the only other movie that might come close will be The Hobbit (Even though it will be playing into 2013 I guess since it is opening at the end of 2012 it would still be considered a 2012 movie….kinda like Avatar) The only issue I see with this is the concern over the 48 fps. The initial reaction was not wonderful. However, Avatar had something that people hadn’t seen done so well (3D) and that turned into a major draw. If the 48 fps turns into something like that it will give The Hobbit an even bigger boost…..but it could also hurt it if people reject the new way of filming.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

The Avengers, no contest. TDKR has a lot of grounds to cover right off the bat because it's got no 2D, isn't as family friendly (too dark), and the villains aren't as interesting as The Joker. Besides whether you want to admit or not Ledger's death played a part in the popularity of TDK. Here's my take on the winners of the summer season:

1) The Avengers
    2) TDKR
    3) ASM
    4) GI Joe 2
    5) The Expendables 2
    6) Promedeus

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Avengers.