Bigger disappointment? Devastator or Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by twiztidRodimus, Oct 24, 2011.

?

Which was more disappointing?

1. DOTM Shockwave

41.0%
  2. ROTF Devastator

59.0%
  1. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    As the title says. Which were you more disappointed in, DOTM Shockwave or ROTF Devastator?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devastator. At least Shockwave died in a more climactic way and lasted more than 5mins.

3. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devastator without a doubt. Shockwave seems to be very underrated in DOTM. He did quite a bit, and was actually feared by Prime. It took quite a lot to actually bring him down. Just because he didn't get a kill doesn't make him a waste.

Devastator, meanwhile, literally was a waste of like a quarter of the budget. He combined; that was pretty cool. He then wastes about two minutes sucking up sand for no reason, shoving the top off the pyramid, and then dying. My disappointment with him was more colossal than he was. And his design was overly cartoony too.

Hoping that he is redeemed in Transformers the Ride.

4. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Devastator. At least Shockwave did stuff.

5. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, I feel the exact opposite, Shockwave didn't do anything but at least Devy did. I was sooooo disappointed by Shockwave and his lack of screen time, lines, and characterization.

EDIT: But at least Shockwave actually looked like himself rather than a pile of mismatched junk that was Devy.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wha? All Devastator did was was unveil a top of a pyramid which other Decepticons could probably easily do. Shockwave made Optimus Prime useless for half the Chicago fight and commanded Driller to do stuff. Devy got even less screen time and characterization than Shockwave.

You could cut out all the parts with Devastator and the movie would not change at all.

7. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devs wasn't too disappointing in my eyes. It was epic to see him form for the first time on the Imax screen. His death by humans was a bummer, yeah, but still pretty neat character in my opinion. Shockwave on the other hand.. I was hoping he'd at least be a relative threat to Prime, like give him an actual fight before getting his eye ripped out. That and all the over hype before the movie came out.

8. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I'm just wondering but what did Devastator do?

9. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    ^ I absolutely freaking HATED the damn driller bot thing. What a waste of animation.

10. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devastator.

Shockwave was a minor letdown, but Devastator was completely useless.

11. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

devastatator was a HUGE disappointment. at least shockwave's toy is mostly color accurate. i mean, look at devestator's figure?

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I have to agree with you there but I think of the Driller as separate to Shockwave. But that's just my opinion.

13. Minh'T

Minh'T Descendant of Primus

Facebook:
    Shockwave i thought he is more powerful than in the movie

14. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Devastator by far. Atleast Shockwave was killed by a notable bot and survived longer than 2 minutes.

I couldn't agree more. After my most recent viewing, I kept thinking of all the possiblities for much, much more bot screentime had that thing not been thought of.

15. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It will definitely be Devastator,the ugly big monster.

16. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    Shockwave was the bigger let-down. All he did was pose- I've seen it twice and still can't recall any memorable Shockwave scenes, except for when Optimus tore his throat out and aped his cannon.

ROTF Devastator's transformation was 100% awesome, all that crashing together and noise and sparks. His climbing the pyramid was really cool too, with his grappling hooks. And the Twins taking pot shots at him was fun too, David and Goliath style. Yeah, his death was lame, but he was a much cooler visual experience.

I'd bet both characters got about the same amount of total on-screen time, give or take.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Shockwave at least went out like a badass. Everybody had to take him down. They were just destroying him and he was still walking and fighting until Optimus finished him off. Plus he actually got some decent scenes, like when he blasted Prime across the city, or how he was the only 'con who wasn't hurt by human weapons. And of course he looked amazing.

Devastator was cool until he started doing stuff. His combination is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, but he got his face schooled by the dumb kids, then Deus Ex Machina'd.

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shockwave. When the rumors began that Leonard Nimoy was going to voice a transformer, I actually let myself hope that "Spock" was voicing my favorite "Evil Spock Robot", and that the character would be exactly that.

I let myself overlook the fact the Bay movies would never be that awesome.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

The thing is...did Shockwave actually do anything? I mean, if we're considering the Driller as a totally separate character, what did he do outside of making two semi-badass entrances and shooting Optimus into a nest of construction cables?

Devastator had his money shot with the combination sequence, his "fight" with the Twins, and climbing up a pyramid only to get served up by a random rail gun.

I'd say they're fairly equal in that they were both under-utilized and died rather questionably (random rail gun vs. parachute/baby bullets combo set-up). But I suppose getting your torso subsequently punched to shreds and your eye pulled through your throat by Optimus Prime is a little more redeeming, though.

In sum, I'd still vote both.

20. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As his persona is generally that of a cunning, calculating strategy master, Shockwave was completely underutilized in DOTM. His part could have been played by anybody.

As his persona is generally that of a dumb, brutish Frankenstein's monster whose only purpose is to destroy until somebody figures out how to take him down, Devastator was utilized perfectly in ROTF. Nobody else could have played his part.

For me, Shockwave was the more disappointing.