Big ol' plot holes and SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by 9.8m/s^2, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Okay, let me preface this by saying that this movie ROCKS. I'm seeing it again next week, at least once more, probably twice, and dragging everyone I know with me. This time, I'll sit farther back from the screen; Bay certainly does make full use of his screen space, and there's always something to see off to one side or another.

However, it wouldn't be a Michael Bay film (and I LOVE Bay films) without plenty of huge plot holes or oddities (which only become apparent, in large measure, after the movie’s over). Just a few of the more glaring ones:

SPOILER ALERT (in case you've forgotten which forum you're in)

- When Bumblebee gets blown up, Jazz just sits there in alt mode while everyone else is trying to recover and/or help BB. Was he also shell-shocked, or did he think that he should stay in disguise?

- So, by pure chance, all the Decepticons happen to be hanging out close to the Allspark already (Frenzy summons them, and they arrive within minutes, most of them by public highway, without a single speeding ticket among them). Lucky break for them that the thing wasn’t in Timbuktu or anything.

- "F-22 pilots would never fly below the buildings, so that one must be an alien!" And then, ten minutes later, what do all the real F-22 pilots do? Fly below the buildings.

- Sam can climb stairs faster than Megatron can climb through a building. Sam must be wearing Kicker's cyber-suit.

- Megs has the Allspark within his grasp. All he has to do is reach out and take it. Instead, he throws it off a building. Later, he has it in his grasp again, and instead, monologues, and lets Sam shove it right in his chest. Unicron was right..."the point is...you are a fool!"

- Blackout has weapons that can obliterate cargo planes and throw 70-tons tanks hundreds of feet through the air. How is any portion of downtown left standing? Maybe he forgot to recharge over the last couple of days…

- There were only about a thousand witnesses, in a crowded city, packed with cameras and recording devices, plus, you know, the big scene with Optimus loudly thanking all the humans for their bravery and assistance. The subsequent government cover up will work how? Imagine the lawsuits.

- Unless they can't count to six, everyone must know that Barricade and Starscream are still alive at the end of the movie. They seem awfully calm about it.

- The first shot of scrambling aircraft during the city fight shows F-16s, not F-22s.

- I know it's a marketing concession, but still, there's no good explanation for why Bumblebee can instantly choose a new alt mode, while the other Cybertronians are stuck with theirs. I suppose it's possible that taking on a new alt mode uses up their "special power meter", requiring a long recharge period...

- Multi-billion-dollar secret cryogenic storage facility. Emergency self-destruct system? Oops, forgot about that. Seriously. Megatron wakes up and strolls, unopposed, right out the front door. Where are my tax dollars going? They could have at least disassembled Megs' arms and legs...

(although....it occurs to me that they obviously have the ability to freeze a live Cybertronian, strap him to a table, and experiment on him...I wonder if they did that to Megs: thawing him, dissecting him, and then refreezing him, over and over? No wonder he's so pissed off.)

- Speaking of spontaneously created machine life…whatever happened to Xbox-bot, SUV-bot, and soda-machine-bot? I assume they went docile or something, since Optimus didn't seem terribly concerned about them when everyone was cheering at the end.

- Even with A-10's on scramble status, it would still take a while to get from the airfield to the village (remember, the nearby FOB was wiped out by Blackout, and there was no support nearby, else they would have come to the FOB's assistance during the night, and the soldiers could have also just walked there instead of the village). So, that's a long time for Scorponok to hang out outside the village, when he could just burrow under the hard cover and come up under the soldiers, where he could a) engage in close combat, where he has the advantage and b) wouldn’t be a clear target for the incoming air support.

- The humans spend a whole lot of time searching for shortwave radios and alternative communication methods. Bumblebee has a working communication system in his dashboard; he uses it to talk. One would also presume the other Autobots also have communicators, unless for some reason, only the Decepticons thought to bring their cellphones with them from Cybertron. Also, Ratchet is a repair expert, no? What, he can’t build a basic transistor radio?

- Bumblebee sure is a lousy shot. How many buildings did he take out while firing wildly from the back of the truck? Maybe he should have been playing “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” on the radio.

- “Never heard of you.” “Never will.” Ummm…I just did, and if I’m never going to hear about you, what good, exactly, is that badge as a symbol of authority?

- Good thing the Witwickys’ entire neighborhood is either on vacation, or sleeps like the dead...during earthquakes.

- The Allspark must have a good parachute system. No impact crater.

- If Megs fell into the water when he crashed, he would have sunk. How did he get to be only about fifty feet under the ice without having thawed out at some point? Also consider that this ice chasm is within quick walking distance from open water (where the ship is ice-locked), and yet the surface is flat (there should be an iceberg above the waterline for there to be so much solid ice held underwater).

- Also, it’s not that cold where Megs is, considering that Captain Witwicky is just fine in his parka and hood. If Megatron can travel through deep space (background temperature around -270 degrees C), a little ice shouldn’t cause problems. Even assuming Megatron shed some kind of protective “space suit” when he entered Earth’s atmosphere, it’s still a little much to think that he can’t operate in such relatively temperate weather.

- This ties in to the prequel comic…but it occurs to me that it’s Prime’s fault that Megatron is here in the first place, since Prime was the one that chucked the Allspark into space. I suppose it’s also Prime’s fault that we have modern technology, cellphones, Xboxes…and Michael Bay films.

Again, I absolutely love this movie...the silliness of the plot just adds to my pure, unbridled enjoyment...

2. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

give the guy a break! He just got his legs blown off and that girl was scrapin his nubs down the highway! lol :) 

3. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    -We see Barricade in the high way chase but he vanishes from the final battle :D 

-Optimus Prime is a bad leader who will abandon his comrades to avoid hurting humans

But I still love this movie :D 

4. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

yes but in space there is no element for him to freeze to (since it is a vacuum). but when he crashes the impact and friction and heat wouldve melted the ice around him, and then frozen quickly so he is stuck in the ice.
    cant wait for the movie and does jazz go against megs like a hero or a bitch, ive heard people say both..

5. Bumble Prime

jazz in no way could be a bitch.........

he gets his ass kicked, fast, but he doesnt back down.

it actually happens when ironhide and ratchet run off and he stays behind to fight

6. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Jazz rocks. Total hero. He fights Brawl hand-to-hand, and stands his ground against Megs, despite the massive size difference. As I recall, the other Autobots ran away when Megs showed up. And Jazz' last line...defiant to the end...

7. Type-R

Type-R blissed off my chonk!

News Credits:
    He tried his best but there really wasn't much he could do. Megs just owned him and took him out almost immediately. It was over much sooner than I would have liked though. Jazz sadly didn't have the enough screentime to show off all of his slick skills.

8. LightningZERO

News Credits:
    If you ask me, I'd say Jazz goes against Megs like a bitch. He tried to hit Megatron, Megatron blocked and hit him away, then scene changed, back to the battle, Megatron stomped on Jazz (like the trailer) and proceed to rip him in half. Not a heroic and memorable death.

Jazz's last words:

Jazz: "You want a piece of me!"

Megatron: " Actually, I want two pieces" (or something like that)

9. jazzmasta32

ok good people were saying how much of an ass he was when he went to fight megs, im glad he isnt

10. Bumble Prime

how could you think he went out like a bitch lightning?!

ironhide and ratchet ran off like lil bitches!

jazz stayed behind shot at him as best he could and kept backtalking until he got ripped in half. Jazz was easily my favorite of the bots despite his 3 lines of dialogue.

oh yeah! and he totally did the kup vs blitzwing tank turret grab and flip! against brawl (devastator??)

11. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the resaon he didnt sink is becasue he didnt land in water. he landed on ice. his body was just so hot from entering the atmosphere that he melted through

12. Bumble Prime

its in the prequel comic, and hes all tuckered out from interstellar flight

13. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

regarding the decepticon's proximity when Barricade calls them, it kinda makes sense they wouldn't hide too far from Barricade if they're waiting for his call anyway, dont you think? (Besides, Frenzy had already downloaded Sector 7's data from air force 1 at that point, hadn't he?)

Also:
    "stuck?". They never say they're "stuck". They just never feel the need to chnage apart from when they arrive. Maybe if Mikaela had goten enough time to diss the other 'bots' alt modes... :D 

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Here's a plot hole I sort of sense is present (I haven't seen the film yet!) - How did BUMBLEBEE know where Sam was going to buy his new car from? I presume their meeting was 'engineered' so BUMBLEBEE could 'bodyguard' Sam, but there could have been any number of second-hand car dealers in the area where he could have hidden.

15. LightningZERO

News Credits:
    Bumblebee followed Sam to the second car dealer shop

16. Bumble Prime

bumblebee drives onto the lot as they do

17. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Ah! Fair enough. I'll wait to see the film before being trying to be clever next time!!!;) 

18. liechentron

liechentron Well-Known Member

I think ppl whoim dissect movies for silly shit like this should be shot

19. jazzmasta32

why? its really fun if u sit down and watch for the little things they forgot:thumb 

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think people who can't spell should be shot.

This annoyed me a lot too. I'm guessing someone forgot to move him out of the way for this shot and they couldn't digitally paint him out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.