Customs: Big Lots Airbrush kit

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by catch22, May 5, 2008.

1. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just a heads up, Big Lots has an $8 airbrush kit for sale. This was mentioned in a post in another thread, but I figured it deserved it's own thread since more people would see it.

It comes with an airbrush that looks a lot like a Badger 350, plus two bottles, a wrench thing, a dropper, an attachment for can propellant, and some other adapter.

I've never used an airbrush before other than that cheap Testors kit...not the one that comes with a stand-alone airbrush, the one like in this picture.

I gave it a shot with the leftover can of Testors propellant I had, and filled the bottle with Tamiya Flat Red thinned with some 70% iso alcohol. I used Cybertron Brimstone as my test subject. Spray was very intermittent and spread out...not sure if that was due to the airbrush, the propellant, or me. The one section I did get covered looked pretty damn good though.

2. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i have the big lots air brush and i think i was the one that made mention of it in the earlier thread.

anyways the one i have is top notch for overal painting i do not see alot of use for it in high detail painting though.

not sure what the intermittent problem your having is. when i use testors propelent i soak it in warm water it scares you because the can sizzles but that is because the propelent is boiling inside. well in short it gives you more presure.

i mainly use my airbrush with a huge compressor in my shed i think i have used the airbrush at over 65 psi.

also i have noticed big lots only carries the damned thing a couple times a year so it is a good idea to buy two in case you need a part . they sell out fast to when they do have them

3. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I actually have it hooked up to a normal compressor now that's rated at 50 PSI, and I'm having a lot more success with that. I'm pretty sure the package for the airbrush says it can handle up to 45 PSI, though considering you say you've been spraying at even higher than that I guess it's not a problem.

If I could just find a cheap moisture trap, I'd be good to go.

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i have seen the moisture trap on ebay for around 10.00 bucks plus shipping.i dont use one but i do see the need for it. i used mine at a higher presure because my compressor is old and a pain to turn down. it seems to wastes a lot of paint at high presure and it may lead to a failure sometime if i keep it up