Big Dillema

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Kharnal, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm looking for some advice here... I just won a great deal of an auction on Ebay... entire RID line (except Jhiaxus and Dreadwind/Smokejumper exclusives) loose but complete for 139 shipped. Seller has 0 feeback and was his first sale. He emailed me stating he wants to back out of the deal w/o any negative feedback b/c he thought he would get $300+ for the set on his first auction. Now do I let him b/c he's a newbie to ebay or do I make him honor the Transaction? Now I gave up a good deal on my first ebay sale and took a good hit(though not this big), but I honored, its business and you should honor the contract that you make. Its not my fault that he didn't do a reserve price. So do I be the nice guy and let him back out? The mean guy let him back out but leave negative feedback, or the fair guy and make him honor his sale? any help would be great

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My opinion:

You seem like a nice guy...so maybe you can give him a slightly higher price like $200-250...depending on the quality of the toys of course. However, if you go ahead with the transaction...please use Pay Pal to safeguard your interest.

3. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Leave him a neg and make him have to make a new account.

Do what you can live with in the morning, and while you lie in bed awake at night.

Offer what you think it is worth, and let him take or leave it.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Liger you beat me to it!!

Do like Liger said. 300 minus 140 is 160. Half that and add it to your offer of 140 bucks. If he won't sell them for $220, then make him honour the auction, if he won't even do that, break the deal and leave him a negative.

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Frankly, it's the seller's responsibility to either set a reserve amount or start the bidding at a higher amount. The letter of the law says he is obligated to sell to you at the ending price, no question about that.

I like what LigerPrime suggested above, though. A resolution where you get what you want, he gets something closer to what he wants, and everyone walks away without a neg is always good in my book.
    :thumb 

6. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've gotta express my vehement disagreement with the "add a bit to the end price" idea. eBay auctions constitute a contract. You have no responsibility to make this schmoe feel better about the selling price. If a seller doesn't set his starting bid and/or reserve to the amount he really wants, tough crap.

N00b does not have to equal clueless. He should've RTFM.

I'd be very wary of paying this guy anything after a request like that. Definitely use PayPal (via a credit card, if possible) to protect yourself.

7. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am with Jarodimus on this, unfortunately everyone is so afraid of getting negs. He can just make a new account, you would have a neg on your already established one.

8. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I'm with Jarodimus. I would offer your bid and nothing more. If he chooses not to honor it than he can get what any other seller would get if s/he backed out, which is negative feedback.

I would perhaps send a message with this stating that eBay feedback is a very valuable thing, and that until a reputation is built one should expect his auctions to end lower. The buyer of a zero feedback seller is taking a risk, and that is represented by the lower end price. This is why so many ebayers got their start buying and selling smaller items before moving into the sale of larger things.

I have sold tons of stuff for friends and family because of this. I have high, perfect feedback, and the auctions tend to do better through a reputable vendor than some dude who has registered 10 minutes prior to listing.

9. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Yeah, retalitory feedback is bullshit. Ebay really should do something about it too because I've seen people's rep take a hit over nonsense.

10. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Yup, but retalitory fb is also plain obvious usually (mine is). I usually don't care because if I give less than positive, that guy really deserves it. I just worry though because people won't care why it was left, they'll just be like - uh oh! This guy got a got a negative. Beware!

And I seriously don't see where this "offer more than what the auction went for" came from. Why? If he's going to be a sucker like that he deserves no mercy. Then again, I'd probably to lenient myself to beat him down.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, my recommendation does not stem from 'fear of a negative', but from a desire to have both parties reach an end they're mutually satisfied with. The guy is new, he made an error, and if both buyer and seller are willing to work something out instead of both walking away frustrated and disappointed, I'm going to opt for that solution. Again, though, the letter of the law is on your side - I'd just like to see you get your winnings.

I've been on eBay for nine years and have only had to leave two negs during that time. Good communication, patience, and a willingness to work through things will prevail 99% of the time. If you do decide to send more money, though, I would require that the items be received before the additional amount is paid. Pay nothing but the auction closing amount until they're in your hands. And FWIW, I don't bid on much of anything unless the seller has 99% positive feedback and 500+... that's a good way to stay out of trouble.

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I detect truthiness.

If this were a Choose Your Own Adventure book, I would choose this.

And I would have chosen wisely.

13. rid

rid Well-Known Member

You should make him honor the contract. It is not your fault (nor your problem) that he did not get his expected price. If he wanted $300, he should have set a reserve for $300. If he doesn't know how, that's should ne penalize you.

He may be a nice guy and all but that should not affect the fact that you won an auction fair and square.

Bottom line, an eBay auction is a contract. He must honor it.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Thats what it comes down to. Newbie or not, it was his responsibility to read up on selling stuff on eaby and do the research. Offer him more money if it would make you feel better, but overall this is his mess not yours.

15. Optimus Kharnal

Thanks everyone for your input, I just kinda wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who thinks he's just got to buck up and take it. I will most assuredly be using paypal on this transaction, if he doesn't completely back out.

16. Optimus Kharnal

Dissapointing but not completely unexpected. Buyer decided to back out of deal even though he's going to get neg feedback on his first transaction. While I understand him wanting to back out (he's would be losing a ton of money on it), He still made a mistake in not putting a reserve price. While my comment on his feedback will be constructive the feeback itself will still be negative. While I empathize with him, it doesn't mean I'm happy with his decision.

17. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Well, you did your best. If you think the toys are worth $300 (which I feel you don't think so), then proceed with the transaction. However, do remember to use Pay Pal for protection.

The reason why I gave my original advice is because I try my best to seek a "win-win" situation for both parties in whatever I do. Sure it is within Optimus Kharnal's right to leave negative feedback etc but we should remember that everybody makes mistakes.

Folks like this seller don't realise it but a good reputation is something money cannot buy.

18. Optimus Kharnal

Well I do think the toys are worth $300, but this was not an "add to my collection" transaction, this was a business transaction for me. At my winning bid I make a profit from selling or trading pieces i don't want or need. And I won't offer more money on principle b/c we entered into a contract through Ebay. If he wants to risk his reputation and his ebay account over a sale then that is the cost he is willing to incur for breaking a contract.

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I get your point about the matter of principal thing and I guess you wanting to buy the toys for business is a key decision.

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tell him to leave you a positive and then screw him over with a negative! Nah J/K, such a dilema.....