Big Convoys pt2 - now with a paper model! (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SydneyY, Mar 11, 2012.

1. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hi all!

Even though I often comment that I am not an enthusiastic collector of Transformers, I do collect Big Convoy (and Beast Wars Neo in general) related items :D 

Here's a new addition that I'd like to share with anyone interested in oddities.
    [​IMG]

This paper model is originally released as a pack in extra of TV Magazine March 1999 issue. If you are familiar with these Japanese kids' magazines, you probably know that these often come with paper models kids can build and actually play with. As far as I know of a similar model of Lio Convoy exists as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoulders, legs and feet actually have some articulations!
    [​IMG]

With Big Convoy paper mask that came with the May 1999 issue of TV Magazine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Black Big Convoy, water squirt from Kabaya, Real Figure Kit (gaming arcade prize), Korean KO Kabaya (partsformer), Big Convoy, Real Figure, Beast Change Kit (partsformer), Custom repaint by Chaos Muffin, Real Figure Kit clear red, keychain (gaming arcade prize)
    (Universe 1 Nemesis Prime is not included because he isn't Big Convoy ;) )
    Sadly I can't afford Lucky Draws, but I'm very happy with what I've got so far. Still missing some Kabayas though!

I attached the pattern of paper Big Convoy. If anyone wants to build your own, and need help, let me know any time :) 

The model also require an axis for legs. The rubber band is for a missile - he's supposed to shoot it out of his cannon. As the band is 12 years old, it snapped as soon as I took it out of the baggie.
    [​IMG]
    (approx. 3 inches long)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have unbuild models of Sentai series GoGo Five "Victory Robo" and Ultraman Gaia (?) "Peace Carry" vehicle sets. If anyone wants either, hit me up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    They even have the gun mountable on his back, ala the show. It's a weird little thing, but cool to see Y, so thanks.

Also, you mentioned your uncertainty at putting together a minicon, but you assembled a Big Convoy!

3. mediumpimpin

mediumpimpin Active Member

I freaking LOVE Big Convoy! Nice pics btw! Whats that 3rd one on the right with the silver chestplate? Is that a custom?

4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    thanks for sharing some cool stuff, SydY! :thumb :
    Loving your Big Convoy collection! :D 

5. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    AWESOME collection Syd. I'm still trying to find a Nemesis Prime at a good price.

6. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^me too! :cry :
    Don't mind a loose, complete and minty Nemesis Mammoth Convoy thou.

7. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    That's awesome!

Although... that big mask-thing in picture 6... I can't help seeing two little black pupils in the eyes, like Convoy with his best rage face.

8. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    :thumb  That is pretty sweet! I love finding little oddities like that. Of course, I prefer Optimus Prime oddities, since that's what my small collection revolves around. :D 

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Nice one man. Thats pretty cool.

10. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
  11. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, that's pretty neat! That custom is also amazingly good. You should totally track down the blue one though, you know you need it.

12. SydneyY

News Credits:
    I love multiquote feature :wink: 

Ooh thank you for the positive comment about Minicons! I didn't think that way, but now I am a bit more confident. Not confident enough to build DMK-1 though...

Fellow Big Convoy fan :D  That one is a custom painted by Chaos Muffin on the boards.

Thank you!! I did have Nemesis Prime, but he just didn't fit in with Big Convoys....he moved to France.
    I hope you'll find one. I think he matches nicely with Armada nemesis Prime. The use of beige is a nice break from black x teal all over.

I noticed the pupils when uploaded the pics, hehe. They are in fact Japanese word instructing the pieces need to be taken out from the eye area (which I haven't done)

I have no courage to taking up on a big challenge like your Optimus Prime collection :D  Even concentrating on just one character, I'm yet to complete the collection. To be honest I didn't even know about those paper models until last year. It never ends, eh.

Thank you Roan :) 

Hmmm, I really have to see the actual product. I'm more tempted by Lio actually.... :) 

13. SydneyY

News Credits:
    I'd love to have the blue one :cry  I don't think I can afford one even if I sell everything else I own.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Cool. I wish Hasbro would do this kind of thing. How awesome would it be to have sets like this for the Prime line, either as pack-ins with the figures or special giveaways or mailaways. Or as birthday cards. You get a TF card for your birthday and there's a press-out figure inside to make. Or as downloads from the Hasbro site to print out.
    I'd like a whole set of G1 characters done as official card build sets.

15. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Hey Syd it took you long enough! But man you fixed that right there. Now it's time for you to break out a pair of clippers and start building DMK Prime! I believe in you!

I want to thank you for making a scan of this piece and sharing it with the community. This way everyone can enjoy these awesome papercraft models! I know I will.

iDD

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    @SydY: Ooh, cool. Hopefully some proper shots of their prototypes would appear soon. :D 

17. SydneyY

News Credits:
    ^Yeah :) 

Gift cards with some paper figures would be great! There are series of Movie books book called "Construct and Play", and at least the TFTM one had 3D paper models of the vehicles which were much better than flat Robot mode paper cutout figures.

When you are done with your paper model, let me know! I am sure you can do more precise job. I did consider changing the colour scheme of the pattern to make paper Black Big Convoy, but I don't think I have the skills.

As for DMK Optimus, did you get the clear one? Going a bit cheaper at amazon right now (around 10,000yen) :D 
    I'll build my DMK-01 if no one buys it

18. alanyap

alanyap Will work for LEGO

Nice fig. As they said.... flattery is the highest form of imitation.

19. xBigbotx

xBigbotx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks cool I actually want to make one my self

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    This is the closest we've got in recent years (scroll all the way down for a picture):

3D Battle-Card Game - Transformers Wiki

I'd shove a pack into any birthday cards I had to give to young relatives or kids of friends. But more I'd like the figures to be press-outs printed on the actual greetings card as a single purchase.

I remember back in G1 days that a cereal brand here did in-pack gifts of transforming cardboard Decepticon jets. They were pretty clever as the fuselage would open lengthwise and the inner two sides of the nosecone would be printed to become the sticky-up shoulder vent things either side of the robot's head.
    I'd love to find scans of those to print out and make for a little nostalgia hit. I might even still have one tucked away in my collection but I just can't remember.