Big Convoy (Korean Version)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Mar 30, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Hello all, no feedback thread on this guy so I'm just looking for some info on Big Convoy (Korean Version). Are there any problems or quirks with this thing? It's pretty cheap on BBTS and I've been wanting one for a while. I just don't want to drop 40+ and be pissed about little stupid things wrong with him. Any and all info is welcome.

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guess what I just bought one from BBTS and received it last Thursday! I was planning to write a review, but have been caught up in a lot of work. So here's my two cents.

Some people say that it has less quality control and may feel knock-offish, but I beg to differ. Rather at most, it feels like a second-hand product. A few joints are loose, very minor paint chips (like on his crest, but its barely noticeable), and a few screws seem faded (mostly at the back). The biggest problem, the joints, can be fixed with a bottle of Future Floor Polish. I got my Big Convoy up to shape with a brush and floor polish and he's magnificent.

He feels strong, durable and surprisingly heavy! In robot mode he looks great, and his beast mode surprised me with its hefty size and strong plastic build. He reminds me of one of the old Beast Wars figures in terms of durability and structure. In my opinion, he already looks nice in the photos but feels even greater on-hand, and I must say he's the most impressive Beast Wars figure I've had, and among the best figures so far. Don't be put down by the Sonokong label, he's just as good as any Takara or Hasbro release, and like I said, he just feels second-hand (at most).

If you'd like, I can post some photos, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow because I have no good light source to take pictures now and will have to utilize sunlight.

3. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Actually, most of the people I've heard have corrected that remark. Sonokong's products are officially licensed from Takara, so they're just as official as Hasbro stuff, just in Korea. They aren't KOs at all. The fact that they're from Korea and made by a company that isn't Takara probably gives people a psychosomatic feeling that the QC -must- be lower, and so they look for flaws and exaggerate them.

Now, I have Korean Big Convoy and Brave Max. Nothing is wrong with either of them. However, my Korean Starscream/BB set -did- have somewhat loose joints, and a screwed up missile launcher, but for all I know, any of those could be common problems for the mold (plus, it's not the first use of the mold, so it could have degraded), so I'm not gonna say they're worse just cos they're Korean.

4. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Yes that's true, he's definitely official, but like you said people look for flaws and try to exaggerate them. I admit I was one of the skeptics, and like I've mentioned, the only flaws were a few loose joints and minor issues, none of which are noticeable (unless you squint really hard, but then again, I can name 20 Takara and Hasbro toys with similar problems) and the joints can be fixed with Future Polish. Really great figure for what I expected!

5. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

Have had mine for a # of years now and he is great, but never forget he IS a KO, mine suffered from a broken ball joint receiver (where his shoulders attach to his "Mammoth face halves") so now that part of his head will not stay in place. (but I did end up buying Nemesis Primal because of it.) You can get he feels great but handle with more care than a Hasbro Product.

6. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    I'm sorry to hear that, but I really don't think it's fair to label Sonokong Big Convoy as a KO, considering that he is legally licensed. Besides the QC problems are also found in many Hasbro products and the same issues were reported for the Nemesis version.

I'm not saying that the Sonokong Big Convoy is perfect or that the Hasbro Nemesis version is bad (both are excellent), but both have problems in a small minority of the copies and as a whole I think it's a safe bet that most Sonokong BCs are fine. Besides, BBTS has a return policy, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting a bad egg.

And of course, Primus_feather is right, you should treat your toy carefully. :p 

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I'll say this. I currently have the korean version, and it's a little better overall than the original Takara version I imported back when Neo first aired. I think a lot of these issues are simply qc variations.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Korean Big Convoy is not a KO.

9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, 100%.
    As others have stated, he is most definitely NOT a KO.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ive had my korean big convoy for a good year or two and he's lovely. just as top notch transformery as any other TF i own

this toy rocks

11. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought Sonokong's Big convoy on two separate occasions, and both times the toy was flawless. In fact, every toy produced by Sonokong in my collection has no flaws.

12. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I have had one since it came out and can vouch that the quality is acceptable. The problem I have is with the design. I can never get the thing into beast mode in a satisfactory way. Unless you like the character I advise against buying it.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    And on the other end of the spectrum, I can transform mine in under a minute (From beast to robot) for fun, and have never had a problem transforming any of them to Beast Mode; I'm no fan of complex transformations either, Big Convoys just makes sense and is relatively easy.

As others mentioned, it's not a KO, it's quality is just like Takara or Hasbro, occasionally there's going to be a crapshoot, but by and large you get a high quality product. I've got Nemesis Prime, Black Big Convoy, and Big Convoy and there's no difference quality-wise.

14. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i have nemesis and 2 big convoys, i cant tell the difference b/w korean and japanese......but the 2 i have are flawless...so im 100% completely happy with it

15. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love him! I have had mine (the korean version) for almost 4 years now and he is still good. I few loose joints when I got him but no worse than the chances of buying a figure here in america having some funky joints. I say do it!

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I have had the mould from all 3 companies; Takara Black Big Convoy, Hasbro Nemesis Prime and Sonokong Big Convoy like Pravus Prime. Big Convoy's arm (can't remember which one) doesn't sit very well in the joint, but it's only minor annoyance. The neck gets loose after a while, but it happens to all of them.

Gotta love that huge Sonokong Box and random multiple tech spec cards... :D 

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I pulled the trigger on him this morning. I'm having second thoughts about dropping close to 50 with shipping, but I always feel bad after spending alot of money. Hopefully the wife doesn't throw me out. :lol 

18. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :bday 

19. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    You won't regret it when he gets here. My Korean version is AWESOME!! I wouldn't have him at all if they Korean version hadn't been available. Just wasn't willing to spend what a Japanese one would have cost. Enjoy! Looking forward to pics. :D 
    -G

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I paid, I think $45 for mine, and that was years ago, so it doesnt sound like his price has gone up much. For many people, he's the best BW era figure around, so I don't think you'll regret it :)