Minor/Repaint: Big Blackout Repaint (weijiang Hide Shadow)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by erwinsims, Jan 5, 2019.

1. erwinsims

erwinsims Well-Known Member

Hello every one, Whil I am waiting on my Ratchet's paint to come in, I got something else delivered.. Wei Jiang's oversized Blackout and boy...
    he is Awesome!(yes, those are Deluxe AOE Lockdown and SS Stinger with him.. he is that big!)

[​IMG]

they removed some unsightly hinges, filed in some gaps and improved a lot and even got all the english wrong! .. ehhhh.. that is a bad thing isn't it?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well I am planning to fix all that but first things first..

he has some pegs that are REALLY tight.. they eighter won't go in, break your wrist or worse.. the toy!

I went on with my trusty Dremel and sanded down : one of the rotorblades, the arm-holding plate-tabs on the side, the tabs on the engine nacelles and some minor shaving on the ones holding the alt-mode together.. now we have a nice clean looking base to start paint and decal aplications.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good news is that his color really is one used by the military AND that it is available as a Humbrol Enamel paint (humbrol enamel medium sea grey Satin 165) So with that we can fix the space between the windows and repaint some stuff on his robotmode as well.
    [​IMG]

Here is the figure after I shaved the pegs to fit better:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Future mods:

-Remove the Diorama
    cause well JUGGHH!! I am a scale nut and I hate figures that dont's scale.. As a Sikorsky MH-53 Pave low, this Blackout scales in at 1:42.. (in scale with the Studio series Deluxe Stinger,Bumblebee,Jazz,Sideswipe,Barricade and Voyager Ironhide and ROTF Mixmaster and AOE Galvatron and Lockdown) the figures and the car are around the 1:72 mark.. WAAAAAYYYYY to tiny to even scale with anything here.. witch actually is good news cause:

-Reshaping the tale to colapse like the SS figure
    As it is now, with the Diorama parts, The tale is a removable part(sforming.. noooo) and I want to have it as a part that goes with the robot! everything is there to have it that way, but due to the diorama there is something in the way so I will gut that part and see where we are after all the demolition.
    I think we can get it all to colapse and stay as it was on the SS so I will mod that part to

- Decals..
    Danyer keec tabay and Ryscre might work for people who do not understand English but I want it to look as the original did, so it will become a USAF helicopter with all the right decals and of course it will have the navigation lights and I will paint whatever is different on the real models..

I will take inspiration on the Mh-53 pave low kit by Revell as a reference point for him.

I hope you guys will enjoy this repaint as I did!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Apparently, I'm a pessimistic person, it's a lie.

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Nice work! There's many big jobs to do but after them all... The perfect Blackout!!!

Can't wait until it's all complete!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. erwinsims

Thank you.. you probably already guessed that i have the Saturday off.. I actually did some stuff to him already.

I removed all the anoying decals with some Tamiya paint remover so I have a nice crisp plane to work with.
    The decals are underway so I will replace them ASAP!

I also stripped out the Diorama partly (still some raised area's to cut out but still.. progress..

Next thing I did was I repainted the tail rotors in Gun metal to match the main ones and Started with the first coat of satin sea gray to the windowframes and some other places on the fuselage.
    Next step will be to weather the engine grates with some black and add a smirk of exhaust to it. Then I will add titanium or stainless to the rotors just like on the original and then I will add the marker and navigation lights on him.. to get him ready ;-)

Enough said.. pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Apparently, I'm a pessimistic person, it's a lie.

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Great! The decals would really piss me off but it looks like you removed them with ease!! Sounds like you're gonna make the helicopter look really realistic!

• Like Like x 2
  5. erwinsims

of course I am!
    I also took the concept drawings/renders (@Lockon Prime provided me with these) and I will use these for the robotmode to get as acurate as I can get with him.
    it all comes down to detail with this guy and boy.. he has got plenty to work with!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lockon Prime

Lockon Prime Well, that's just Prime...Oh yeees

I've watched two reviews on this bad boy, and they both had the same tabbing issues, one actually broke one of the tabs. It's crazy to think they created such an awesome toy, and failed to fix those minor details.

I don't think I'd have the balls to sand the tabs down, so we'll done!! He definitely looks better with everything fitting properly!!

Are you still thinking about making Scorponok or if the diorama, or are you thinking about replacing the soldiers with ones more in scale??

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. erwinsims

The sanding down isn’t to bad and just minor.. definatly worth the work and if it is done in the begining it releases a lot of stres on the toy.. I actually prefer to tight over to loose.. easy fix and still a good holding toy.

I have not decided what to do with the diorama stuff yet but I wont do the soldier stuff, it wil eighter be a loose bottom or the scorpinook. I bought one for 8 euro (included shiping) that will be at our house soon and then ill decide what to do..

But trust me, this guy is worth the cash!
    I saw the real one today and he is so much worse than the WJ one.. if I had the choise before, I would go the OS way once again.. he is a better blackout.

• Like Like x 1
  8. erwinsims

I found this site witch hold a lot of detailed pictures of the decals and such on the pave low :
    Sikorsky MH-53 (Pave Low) Multirole Transport Helicopter - United States I will use that site as a reference point for the altmode of Blackout.
    For now I will leave the Helicopter mode for what it is and start to focus on the big boy himsewlf.. Blackout!
    Here is where I shall leave Blackouts altmode for now:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Next up botmode and Ill look into how to get his tail from partsforming to transforming.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Lockon Prime

Lockon Prime Well, that's just Prime...Oh yeees

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the diorama, that whole Scorponok idea would be pretty awesome if you where are to do it!!

There was something about the Leader Class Blackout that called out to me every time I saw it, but after seeing this one, and watching the reviews on it, the Leader Class one doesn't do it for me anymore.

Damn it, finally a good shot of the back of the helicopter!!! I couldn't find one to save my life lol. Great find!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

Twitter:
    This is wicked man. Nice details just comeplete this guy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

awesome work man it will look killer when complete. but i just had a quick question or two if you don't mind. i was wondering how you are painting it right now. it looks like you are using brushes but it is so smooth i have to ask. so what is your secret besides tons of practice. are you dry brushing the paint, multiple light wet coats or is it self leveling. maybe you have a secret airbrush off camera...lol

if you can could you please let me know. thanks in advance

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kryptokron

Kryptokron Yells at Clouds

News Credits:
    I just received mine in the mail last Thursday and have hardly put it down since. I'm glad you put a lot of the details of what you did in writing because unfortunately I can't see any pictures here... I'm curious as to where you're getting new decals because I want to do the same for mine. Are you using a model kit, or are you getting them printed?

13. erwinsims

I am more than happy to share my secrets!
    On this Blackout I actually use enamel paint for the figure cause I only detail this one. I removed all the decals on him with Tamiya paint remover, it is a heavy rubbing alcohol (for the love of pete, use rubber gloves, this stuff bites!)
    and the Enamels I use are by Humbrol and will be used on the figure only since I wont be clearcoating him on the robotparts with the same stuff I use on the outside.

Enamels take long to cure but if applied correctly and in thin layers each time (let it dry) you will get a nice coverage. and are worth the wait.
    For the robot-metal parts I always use Humbrol metalcotes with the main color in Gun metal, for me since they al came from one place and are made of the same stuff, the bot parts need to look to be the same material.
    The Metalcotes from Humbrol also are polishable so you will get a nice sheen on the parts you touch or pose often while having them flat on parts you barely touch giving the robots wear and tear on moving parts as (in my head at least) would happen on real bots to.

After I get the decals I will clearcoat him in flat clear acrilic from Tamiya as well.
    When spray painting a figure I can not stress enough how important it is to do some steps, Get the model apart as much as possible, degrease 2 times and wear rubber gloves after and aply 3-5 THIN coats of paint each time and let it cure before aplying the next coat.
    My first coats are always a thin mist showing the original color underneath, I get the right color most of the times just after the 3rd or 4rd coat and then ill add one more just for shits and giggles.. then I let them cure for 3-4 days just to be sure everything is dried trough and I start polishing it first with Jif (yes the abrasive to clean tiles) then mcguiars polish and then ultimate sheen polish. then degrease 2 more times and then the clearcoats for the sheen will folow the same process thin layers, polish and then lastly a wax (mcguiars as well, I use the stuff on our cars so I have that handy)

That is basicly all my secrets there layed out for you ;-)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I use the ones I linked before from Ebay, the ones I use are for a 1:48 scale Sikorsky UH-60 but they share decals from the US airforce, so I can use those for Blackout.
    here is that link again.
    Print Scale 1/48 Sikorsky UH-60A/MH-60G # 48107 | eBay

• Like Like x 7
  14. erwinsims

Today I did some work on this guys robotmode.

Blackout has some exterior panels and bits and pieces on his body but that did not show that well on him. The plastic for the panels on his legs, the diecast panels and the paint used all don't match the plastic used for his main robot so we were left with 4 different shades of gray and that is to much shades (or not enough shades of grey to make it kinky) So I got my grey paint out, cleaned him once more and started painting his hands, legs and I added some grey to his head cause that is what I noticed to, they had to much gun-metal there and left some places just barely covered.. I have fixed that and will start working on the robot. They also gave us 3 shades of metalic grey on him (paint,casted and another paint on the head) so ill fix that next but for now some WIP pics...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. erwinsims

Gunmetal aplied all over his robotparts ;-)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

For now I will have him cure and tomorrow I will add the detailing to his robotparts in gold, steel, copper and bronze just to have his highlights pop and once those are done all I need to do is wait for the decals to show up..

Thank god I am patient :banghead: :banghead: 

• Like Like x 8
  16. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

thank you for all the tips and advice. i greatly appreciate it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. erwinsims

When ever you need more help or tips, give me a PM.. I can go into details there.
    Have fun repainting.

I just heard my decals will get here today!

Now.. I did look at converting the tail to colapse like on the original SS Blackout but I am kinda on the fritz about it... I really like how clean his robot is when it is not atatched (partsforming, I know but still...

I will get onto it as soon as I get the decals aplied and I do have a deluxde Scorpinook on the way as well,

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. erwinsims

So.. Decal time!

Unfortunatly I only got half of the decals I ordered and the wrong part to boot..
    There are still some usefull ones there but the ones I really need arn't there. Ill wait till the seller contacts me to see how we can solve this.

It is a lighter grey instead of black since I found that the navy uses "shadow signing"to make it harder to spot.
    It might look weird but I know this actually was what was on the Mh-53 used as Blackout as well (last picture in this post) I love the look of it as well and so this is what Blackout will get on him.

Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ill see howfar I get with the ones I have.. there are a LOT of decals to place trough.. Kinda fun!

and now a picture of the actual filming of Transformers 2007:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  19. erwinsims

So... I took some time to play around with the altmode and my paints..
    I am still waiting on some decals to get here but his altmode is almost perfect:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will wait for the other decals to get here and Tomorrow I will start detailing his robotmode to make him look as acurate as can be..
    I am sure glad they oversized him, his scalew is perfect with the SS Bots.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Possibly a manchildren...maybe?

News Credits:
    Fair well to another pseudo Israeli gunship.

Any reason the one star along the right side is inverted?

• Like Like x 1