Big Bang Theory Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omegatron, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For those of you not watching 'The Big Bang Theory,' I recommend recording two or three episodes, then watching them back to back. I think some of my appreciation for the show comes from knowing a guy quite a bit like Sheldon, but...not bright. Same petty attitude and lack of tact, though. Also, that Penny, originally portrayed as entirely brainless, has become a much more realistic character as the season's progressed. I've heard it's already been renewed for next year, so I'm a happy camper.

-Tony!

2. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I was just thinking about starting a BBT thread...

I really like the show. The actors have great chemistry, which can overcome almost any structural or conceptual shortcomings in a sitcom. The jokes are sharp and like Frasier able to mix lowbrow and highbrow with ease. I love the fact that Sheldon dresses up as the Doppler Effect for Halloween, and there is a running gag of him offering clues as to what he is, but they never, ever explain the gag - either you know the Doppler Effect, or you don't. The show is also a geek haven, with nods to Battlestar Galactica, Superman movies, Doctor Who, and even the new Terminator series (and I LOVED the "running Flash" joke used in the Halloween episode - another gag that will leave the uninformed scratching their heads). Oh sure the series relies a little heavily on stereotypes - dimwitted, beautiful blonde (though thankfully less dimwitted as the series progresses) and the smart nerds (two white, one Jewish, one Indian) with no social, dating or sartorial skill, but while the charactures are cartoonish, the results are undeniably effective.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I just cannot get into this show. I've seen several episodes, but its general stereotyping of anything randomly considered counter-culture just doesn't come across as funny.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I get some amusement out of the show. :) 

5. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

Zombie thread arisen.
    I love this show. Especially Sheldon. I wish they put some transformers joke and toys in it.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I LOVE this show.
    That it all :) 

7. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

[​IMG]

Though it is funny to see my old opinion of the show being that it has radically changed since then.

8. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

BBT? I tried, but laugh track bugs the shit out of me. And it's a little too "prime time sitcom."

9. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As an engineer myself (and a nerd), this show is hilarious!!!

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I'm a physics teacher and I find the show to be hilarious (not to say that its not funny to other people, but there is A LOT of science jokes that go over people's heads).

My other science teacher co-workers also watch the show so we get a chance to talk about it at lunch.

One of my favorite things about the show is how accurate the dorkery is, such as Wednesday being new comic day. Anyone who doesn't read comics has no idea what day is new comic day and the show could have made it any day of the week, but they made it accurate.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    The show is brilliant. My wife and I watch it all the time. I started because I noticed Sheldon wearing a Green Lantern shirt and was wondering what the hell was going on. I also got a friend of mine to give it a second shot and she loves it.

There are so many great moments in every episode. From them wearing bowling uniforms while playing Wii, to Captain Underpants, to Sheldon having coffee and putting on the Flash costume again and running to get more before the banana hits the floor.

12. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Love this show! Espescially the aforementioned part where he gets more coffee before the banana hits the floor!
    ZOOMZOOMZOOMZOOMZOOMZOOM

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i wanna watch this show but im never home when its on (dunno if it changed, or have reruns on a different day though)

might pick up the season 1 box set when it goes on sale.

14. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Awesome show! TF refrences in the future please!

15. mentat_emre

they have tons of action figures but not a single transformers toy. Let's hope they'll have in the future.

16. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Sheldon is hilarious, I love that show. It's one of the few things I watch on TV any more.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I have noticed while watching the show that all comic memorabilia is DC comics related. There is a GL statue, a Batman cookie Jar, a Firestorm figure, Sheldon's shirts, and the comic shop was all DC stuff. They will mention Marvel characters but never actually show any reference to them. As for Sci-fi. they use Battlestar and Star Trek for everything visual.

18. mentat_emre

yea, i noticed that too. Let's hope they mention about transformers.

19. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I read an article in Wizard (? I think) saying that the show's staff made a conscious decision to make them "DC guys".

20. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V The token Asian one

I love this show, anyone who doesn't makes me sad. It's so full of win.
    I find the part where Sheldon tries and figures out sarcasm great, and the Flash part..LMAO, just awesome...ZOOMZOOMZOOMZOOM!