Big Alt Mode, Small Robot

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Inikalord, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Nowadays, I rarely spend any money on Transformers, mainly due to either financial or other problems, but one problem always put me off from buying certain Transformers. An example follows...

*Walking into a store*

Me: hmmm, got some spare cash, might aswell buy something.

*So I walk over to the Toy Isle to see if anything theres good to buy*

Me: cool, the new TF's are in stock

So I decide to buy one on the count that its either a good figure, or w/e. I bring it outta the packaging, And it has an amazing alt mode, its big, detailed and any kid would love it. Transformed its just...meh...sure, the articulation, detail, character reprensation and all that may be good...but...the size just puts me off from it.

Now I understand that some of you may reply *its a cost saving thing* sure, I understand that, but for me when it comes to buying a TF or any other toy for that matter, I expect to get a bang for the buck I spent on such figure and enjoy it, but most of the time Im let down by the size of the figure.

There are good examples out there of a Big alt mode aswell as a big robot mode. But I would like to hear if anyone else feels this way or if people wish to express their opinions on this.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    It's an odd thing to be put off by really, especially if you're not one of those people that demands perfect scale.

3. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

The first ones that pop into my head are Animated Bulkhead and Lugnut. Oh the horror. Their bot modes, while bulky and solid are tiny with regards to other figures in the line (the towering Lockdown) and the scale they should be at.

Bang for your buck isn't something I really put much stock in. Hell, I pay £7 for a little metal guy (miniature wargaming) so size isn't an issue with cost. It's quality, not quantity.

4. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Yeah, Perfect scale beggers do get annoying, I dont mind what scale it is to be honest, and there have been times when I have bought a figure where it had a big alt mode, small robot and enjoyed it.

The scale of a figure isnt a huge issue with me, its just a little annoying thing when buying, lol.

Ah yes, the Infamous Lugnut and Bulkhead, I would have to agree with you on those, instead of the supreme Roll Out Command optimus, they coulda easily been replaced with Lugnut and Bulkhead and would have probably sold alot more.

Miniture wargaming, although I have never tried it, sure looks fun.

5. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I thought that movie Blackout was the worst offender at this?

6. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

I thought most of the recent releases were pretty near the mark in terms of scale - certainly much better than they used to be when all the vehicles seemed to be the same size regardless of what they were supposed to be.

As far as scale within a line goes, some alt-mode are always hard to scale properly so i'd rather than robot scaled right rather than the vehicle. A good example of this is TFA prowl vs lugnut. Prowl's scale i'm very happy with (even if he is a giant motorbike) whilst lugnut is a robo midget and looks a bit squiffy next to all the other show-accurate figures.

7. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I was thinking the same thing.

8. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Masterpiece Starscream, Skywarp & Thundercracker. Many people complained about the size of the robot mode, saying it should be more in scale with Masterpiece Prime. Fair enough, main problem with that was Prime's transformation involved parts folding out or extending, the seekers understandably work the opposite way folding in on themselves to achieve the robot mode. If they was more similar in hight to Prime the jet modes would have been enormous, not a problem as they would have been more in-scale with Prime in alt-mode as well as robot mode, but they'd have cost a lot more and been rather impracticable to display in jet mode.

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    rotf deluxe wheelie was to big for his robot mode.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

You thought right.

11. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    deluxe hound was a bit to small because he was like a scout size in robot mode.

12. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Yes, but Hound has a small Alt. mode as well, rather than a large alt mode and a small bot mode. His transformation is fine and yes, while being short, it works and is in balance with himself like most of the Universe 2.0 line actually.

13. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    IMHO there are many factor affecting bot/alt mode sizes, transformation and alt mode type being some of the main ones.

Case in point, Classic Ultra Magnus & Skywarp twin-pack. Packaged in Bot mode Magnus is understandably larger than Warpy, transformed both into alt modes however, there ain't much diff in their sizes at a glance.

Reason? Magnus compacts down into his truck mode, whereby Skywarp expands/fold-out most of his alt-mode kibble and you end up with a truck and an F15 about the same size.

Then again, I've always believed the classic Prime mold to be under-sized for a voyager :p 

14. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Robot Masters/Telemocha Optimus Primal and Megatron are about equal in size in robot mode, but Primal is tiny compared to Megatron in beast mode.

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I feel robot mode scale is the more inportant thing, I've always taken it that tf's just look like there alt modes not are there alt mode, so I take starscream looks like an f15 but is infact much smaller and could never carry a flight crew but then that is just me. I can't stand universe Onslught, powerglide and silverbolt cos they tower over everyone else.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I enjoy this. So long as each figure in any given class size is made from about the same plastic, I don't feel ripped off. I'm far more concerned with whether the figure is well made and well designed.

Some figures compress into alt mode, others expand into alt mode. It's all part of the fun.

Though I do prefer if they do this in attempt to match the established stature of the character. An example would be how Animated Swindle is relatively short, while Lockdown towers. Animated Swoop is tall and thin, Animated Snarl is short and stocky.