Bidding/Cancelling bid on eBay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by keebs, Mar 13, 2008.

1. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=350033761597

This isn't a Transformer but it happens in all kinds of auctions. I bid on this and then a guy with 0 feedback bids 3 times, outbidding me on the third, only to cancel the bid. So, he knows how much to bid and win, if it were to end with just me. Or, he knows that he's got the highest amount for it if he's in cahoots with the seller. To me, that's shady. Especially, with the names not being revealed, you could easily create an account and just bid your stuff up to the highest bidder. I'm pretty sure that the auction will end much higher but still, there's only like 4 hours left in the auction. This just seems fishy.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

2. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    report it dude, ebay can tell if its the seller from the IP address

3. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

I'll do that. I mean, I don't want to seem like a dickhole but I thought bids weren't allowed to be cancelled within the last 24 hours or something. I was gonna email the bidder but since it's hidden, I guess that won't happen. I might check out some of the sellers ended auctions to see if any suspicious activity has happened in those.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    its called shill bidding and a pain in the ass

5. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

DAMN! Was not expecting that item, or price. Do you have a big collection of sealed games? I can't believe AFA grades them now. Man, that looks fun. Maybe the Virtual Console will have it for download.

6. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

I'd heard the term shill bidding but wasn't sure exactly what that was.
    I've got 2 sealed SNES games, 4 sealed NES games, about 60 sealed GBA games, 1 sealed N64 game, and all but one of the US released Virtual Boy games. I don't collect a bunch of older games sealed, just a few that I wanted and I pretty much have those. The only one that has eluded me, Secret of Mana, seems to always be dictated by the person outbidding me. I've bid $400 before and I was the 2nd place bidder and $600 and was the 2nd place bidder. For like 2 years thats the way it went. Now, they're no where to be found.

7. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Oh man, Secret of Mana, when are they going to Virtual Console that already?

8. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    WTF??? Two hundred bucks for Super Mario RPG? I don't get it. You could easily buy it loose for tuppence. In fact, just the ROM wouldn't cost you a penny. Why such an investment?

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Why do people pay through the nose for MISB G1 TFs? Same thing. If you'd read Keebs' post one post above yours, you would have seen that he is clearly collecting sealed games.
    Honestly, I don't know why the hell people feel the need to say things like this about other people's collecting habits.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this happened to me recently, but I was honestly too happy to have won it after being outbid to notice something was fishy until a couple days after I had paid. :/

11. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I have run auction where people have canceled a bid and then not put in a new bid. eBay requires that you put in a new "correct" bid. I reported that person and would do it again in a heartbeat, its just a crappy thing to do to the person with the auction or to other bidders.

If you click on their name, you can find out their bid retractions in the last 30 days. If they have bid on something you are selling, you can see their total number of bid retractions.

12. Glitcher

Glitcher Banned

News Credits:
    Because there's a huge difference between collecting Transformers and collecting video games. For starters, video games don't degrade over time. It's not as if Super Mario Bros. has shown considerable yellowing. Secondly, Transformers are physical objects, which can only be interacted with by picking up and fiddling with the buggers outright. Thirdly, all of these retro games have been emulated for years. You can experience them just as well on Virtual Console for next to nothing (or really nothing if you're less scrupulous).

So as far as collecting goes, Transformers is an understandable hobby, as is Lego, stamps, gewgaws... whatever. But collecting video games? That's just crazy, mate. :p 

13. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not sure why EBay hasn't instituted a policy where a canceled bid should revert the price back to before the offenders first bid. If his final bid won't count then the previous 4 or 5 shouldn't either. It has gotten to the point where you are just foolish to bid on anything before the final minute.

14. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

Agreed, samething should be applied to the 2nd chance offer.

15. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I believe it already does.

I had a similar thing happen to me the other day where a person with less than 5 feedback outbid me on several items from the same seller. When the bids were retracted later that day, the price went back to where it was before they were placed. However, with a couple minutes left "someone" bid my maximum amount, allowing me to win them, but at maximum price.

I hadn't really given it any thought, actually I was realieved at the time that my bid hadn't been beaten, but now I see that I was scammed.

It's not like I am out anything though, because after all, I did place my own bids. I knew when I did it that I could be paying full price.

16. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I'm sure video games collectors think we are just as crazy. They must think why pay so much for a MISB transformer? You can get a loose one for a few quid, or a second-hand knockoff for virtually nothing.

Collecting is a very personal hobby, that makes no sense to someone who doesn't collect the same thing. As a collector of something, it's not really cool to think our collections are more worthwhile or understandable than someone elses collection of something different.

:2c: 

17. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

No. I now can see why.