Beyond Lead: Toxins in Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Galvatron1, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Galvatron1

Galvatron1 DECEPTICON LEADER

• Avoid painted toys made before 1978, because before lead paint was banned in toys, residential structures, and hospitals that year, it was used commonly in paints in the US.
    • Imported painted toys carry a higher lead
    risk because lead is less well-regulated in many developing countries. Choose toys manufactured
    in the US, Canada, or the EU.

PVC & Phthalates
    Polyvinyl chloride plastic, known as PVC or vinyl and identifiable by a #3 or “V” symbol, is so toxic for people and the planet at every point in its lifecycle that some activists call it by another name: the “poison plastic.”

Children’s polymer clays such as Fimo and Sculpey also have been found to contain trace amounts of phthalates. Studies have identified phthalates as a hormone disrupter. Phthalates may also cause liver and kidney lesions, a higher risk of certain cancers, and may exacerbate asthma and allergies in children.

PVC also creates dangerous chemicals throughout its lifecycle: making PVC releases carcinogens such as vinyl chloride and dioxins, and incinerating PVC generates carcinogenic dioxin.

Green America: Real Green: Beyond Lead -- Toxins in Toys

2. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Scientist

You do understand that the lead section completely dissed Transformers, right?

3. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Listen; I do have a few IGA Transformers (they are all lead-painted) and I am just fine ...

Now I can understand the dangers of PVC, but lead is highly overrated ... atleast for adult collectors, yes. Children should be careful.

Just dont start this panic again.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You do understand that the article is two years old, do you?

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

WTF is this green propaganda doing here?

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Usa! Usa! Usa!

7. Transquito

Oooh .... AAAARGH! ZOMBIE THREAD !!!
    :confused2 

8. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Hmmmm no, thread was made today but the info on that website is oooold

9. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Dammit, it's my God-given right to buy Chinese toys made before 1978 and lick them.

10. Transquito

Again ... oh ... zombie info, then?

11. Optimus Matt

Optimus Matt Well-Known Member

lead is bad but like any toxin it takes ether large amounts or years of build up to have bad effects i doubt that lead toys have had that much effects one children. its probably another conspiracy invented by the us government to give china a bad name, cuz we all know that the usa is the greatest country on earth and everyone else is wrong LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

12. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

i just finished eating g1 optimus. should i be worried? i dont feel so goojhjk,hnmrfgtrffhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

13. JaAm_convoy

JaAm_convoy Shoulder Medicine

lol

this thread feels like a parallel to "who would u eat and y?"

14. Galvatron1

Galvatron1 DECEPTICON LEADER

It matters not, it's still relevant today.

Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability in the U.S., affecting 1 in 150 children. Every 20 minutes, a child is diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. Autism is more common than juvenile diabetes, childhood cancer and AIDS combined. It is one of our community's most urgent needs.

Ever stop & think what's the cause? Doctors used to prescribe pain killers to pregnant women not too long ago which caused hideous limb deformities. Think about the consequences of your actions.

I'm just trying to put u guyz ahead of the bell curve. While many of you may not lick your toys, I'm sure some of you have kids that may already have.

More food for thought. Analog to Digital TV (the end of UHF TV- Ultra High Frequency, only VHF TV- Very High Frequency & Digital TV- even higher Frequency of Radiation for standard TV access) + more Cell Phone Tower Radiation, stonger wider Wi-Fi Range(Wireless N), Bluetooth, etc.:

EMF Radiation Science Facts and Resources
    "...The existing telecommunications towers on Lookout Mountain and Mt. Morrison have exposed and continue to expose nearby residents and businesses to such high levels of non-ionizing radiation that Jefferson County 's Independent RF expert; Jim Hart stated that Lookout Mountain residents experience “dreadful interference.” The FCC allows digital TV broadcasters to radiate any part of Jefferson County with more than four thousand times more radiation than the FCC blanketing interference radiation threshold. This radiation has led to a number of adverse impacts to residents, including interference with home appliances, computers, garage door openers, and other electronic devices caused by the electromagnetic radiation (“EMR”) generated by high power telecommunication towers. The radiation has also interfered with commercial, scientific, medical, emergency services and institutional electronic equipment..."

Adverse Health Effects from the Operation of Digital Broadcast Television Stations (DVB‐T)
    "Dear President Obama:

...We write to you today because we wish to save you from the significant negative health consequences that have occurred here in Germany. In Germany, analog broadcast television stations have gradually been switching to digital broadcast signals since 2003. This switchover first took place in metropolitan areas. In those areas, however, the RF exposures in public places as well as at home continued to increase at the same time. As a result, the continuing declining health status of children, adolescents, and adults in urban areas could not be attributed to any single cause. On May 20, 2006, two digital broadcast television stations went on the air in the Hessian Rhoen area (Heidelstein, Kreuzberg), which until recently had enjoyed rather low mobile phone radiation exposure levels. Within a radius of more than 20 km, the following symptoms that occurred abruptly were reported: constant headaches, pressure in the head, drowsiness, sleep problems, inability to think clearly, forgetfulness, nervous tensions, irritability, tightness in the chest, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, depressive mood, total apathy, loss of empathy, burning skin, inner burning, leg weakness, pain in the limbs, stabbing pain in various organs, weight increase.

Birds had fled the area. Cats had turned phlegmatic and hardly ever went into the garden. One child committed suicide; a second child tried doing it. Over time the same unbearable symptoms showed up in other locations—most recently in Bamberg and Aschaffenburg on November 25, 2008. Physicians accompanied affected people to areas where there was no DVB‐T reception (valleys, behind mountain ranges) and witnessed how these people became symptom‐free only after a short period of time. ..."

Think for yourselves ppl. Don't rely on the gov't to think for you or tell you everything. Unless you believe what Sam Witwicky's mom said at the end of TF1 about the Gov't would never lie to us, & they would tell us if something was wrong. Believe what you will, but always Seek the Truth.

15. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    What has that got to do with Transformers ?? ^^^^

16. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

he ties it in nicely with the last line...

but hey, you know what? I'm safe because I'm wearing my tinfoil hat! I can eat all the lead paint chips I want with this sucker on!!!!

om nom nom.

and hey, if digital broadcast give me a brain tumor, at least it'll be in HD

17. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I'd say a lot of it is down to better diagnostic techniques leading to more people being diagnosed with the condition. But that doesn't fit in with conspiracy theories, does it?

18. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Meh, breathing or blinking your eyes gives you cancer these days.

19. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I think most of us are going to be fine since we don't eat our transformers.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I eat bullet? MMMMM seriously, this isn't a mattel brand, we're safe, unlike hot wheels collectors (maybe that's why they are weird) tfs are tested better than that, not for QC but for things like lead that would tarnish Hasbro's rep.