Beyond Good and Evil

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Primevil, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I have a strange history with this game. Back in 2003, I saw the ads in Gamepro and thought it looked interesting, but for whatever reason never thought to give it a chance. Probably because I was a poor high school student and blinded by love for existing franchises.

Flash forward a few years. I currently major in Interactive Design and Game Development at the Savannah College of Art and Design, and about a year ago (give or take a few months) I took a course called Survey of Interactive Entertainment. The course was basically the history of gaming and interactive devices/peripherals, and critiquing a variety of games. Part of the latter involved actually playing the games in class. Well, the professor said that one of the games was going to be Beyond Good and Evil, and I managed to miss that class because I was an idiot and slept late. I was disappointed because I had already heard the game was good and critically acclaimed but sales were poor due to its competition.

So I was at Gamestop the other day checking out used games while my cousin was picking up a game she reserved, when I found Beyond Good and Evil in the Used PS2 games for $10. I had to get it, especially since it was only $7 because my cousin paid for it with her Gamestop Edge card.

I really wish I had given this game a chance when it first came out in 2003 because I really love it. Even when certain elements of the game are reminiscent of other games (especially Metal Gear Solid), Beyond Good and Evil has this wholly unique feel to it. I think this is the only game I've played where a camera actually serves a practical purpose.

The story is good, even if it is relatively linear, and the characters are well-developed and interesting. Jade is probably the best female protagonist I've seen in years. She isn't busty and/or scantily-clad, nor is she motivated by her feelings for some guy she likes. She's in it for the oppressed people of Hillys. Pey'j and Double H are great comic relief, but manage to provide more than humor.

The item collecting, while integrated into the plot, doesn't feel forced and repetitive like Mario 64 and its clones which force you to go to the same level several times to get all of the objects. I actually like it more than most item quests because everything has a reward. A full roll of film gets you new Pearls and MDisks, and the Pearls are actually used for the vehicle upgrades you need to advance the plot.

The style of the game and the world of Hillys is whimsical yet serious, and feels very familiar. I want to say it reminds me of Don Bluth's work, maybe that's because he directed Titan A.E. which had talking anthropomorphic alien animals. It also reminds me a bit of Treasure Planet for mostly the same reason.

I'm currently in the Slaughterhouse and am intrigued as to where the game is going after that. Obviously space, considering some of the blatant hints through the game, but there has to be some surprises. I don't know what's coming, but I have a bad feeling about the ending as I've heard it's abrupt due to plans for a trilogy that Ubisoft has abandoned.

Anyone else like Beyond Good and Evil? Please tell me I'm not the only person here who does. And for the heck of it, who hasn't played, or even heard of it?

2. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

I've heard nothing but good things about BGaE. As a matter of fact my friend just lent me the Gamecube version the other day and I plan on starting it this week. Looking forward to it a great deal.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've played through it and it definitely has top notch atmosphere. My only complaint is maybe a little too much sneaking rather then confrontation and action, but sneaking is just not my thing. It's a great game overall, and really too bad there are little to no chance of a sequal.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hell yes I've heard of it. I 100% finished it. It's a brilliant game, and I loved every second of it. It remains one of the most downright enjoyable games I've played in at least a decade.
    The ending isn't too abrupt; it works well enough as a standalone game. However, I would have bought a sequel in a heartbeat.

5. Primevil

Ebay:
    Yeah, I have to admit that I don't entirely enjoy the sneaking. Most of the time, when I had to shoot a guard's oxygen tank to disable him and distract his partner, I would miss the tank and draw their attention, or get seen trying to get a good shot. At least the stealth aspect is easy enough that it isn't frustrating. I am so thankful for the small tunnels that you can hide in to call off the search.

Maybe stealth just isn't my thing, since I'm not the most precise and careful gamer. You should see my try, and fail, to get a headshot in an FPS or even miss with a rocket launcher at relatively close range. Hell, in Metal Gear Solid 3, I spent most of the game tranquilizing and/or killing guards rather than sneaking past them (on Easy, no less).

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it comes with age- MGS, I didn't mind the sneaking. MGS 2, it was more annoying but tolerable. MGS 3, I never actually finished because I was sick of sneaking. Beyond Good and Evil in no way gets as bad as any of these as far as sneaking goes. BGaE has some nice Zelda style combat controls, so it would have been nice to fight a bit more then sneak. Still, this is harking on what I believe to be it's one real negative, otherwise it is still a great game and a lot of gamers missed out by not playing it.

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only beef is that it's too short. It needed at least two more dungeons, IMO. But otherwise, it was awesome. Great atmosphere, story, characters, style, music, level design, everything. Smooth controls (and thankfully, a camera that actually works properly, instead of changing views on you inexplicably and futzing with your gameplan). And the photo sidequests were really entertaining, with some unique puzzles and amazing sights.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh man. Getting all the photos (especially the very last one!) and pearls was so much fun.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Played it, finished it, LOVED it. I have only two complaints about this game...

1: I have the GC version, AND IT TOOK UP A WHOLE FREAKING MEMORY CARD. And like the moron I was at the time, instead of buying a new one I erased my complete SSB and SC2 data.

2: What's keeping the sequel? :D 

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

One of the best games I ever played and yes, where is a sequel at?

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I hope soonish, because the supervisor of the project said in an interview I read a year or two ago that he wanted to get started as soon as Kong was finished.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes! I bought this game the day it came out. Talk about sucking you into it's brilliantly-designed world and keeping you there for the long run. It's too bad that most companies now stick to the cookie-cutter Halo or WWII clones instead of venturing forward ala (BGAE, ICO, Shadow of the Collossus, Okami, Ogami) and try something new. But then, if I were a game company owner and I saw games like the above listed selling like crap, and Halo clones selling through the roof, what choice would I have but to keep my company afloat by copying what everyone wants. BGAE might be a combination of Zelda and Metal Gear, but it's distinct enough to stand on its own.

Alas, most of these games will never see sequels because it's not what everyone wants, so it has to be a labor of love on the part of the developers.

13. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Sorta off subject but.... Damnit, even though it sucked, I wanted an Advant Rising sequel.

14. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    What's Ogami? Is it the Japanese name for Okami? I cannot seem to find any information on this "Ogami."

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Sorry, I might have the name wrong. ... yup I did. It's Otagi. It's a game on the original Xbox (it also had a sequel), very beautiful and stylized. At it's core, it's kinda a game like Devil May Cry, but honestly, it can stand on it's own and the character animations and worlds you travel to are amating.

16. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Might have to give it a try.

I have it but have yet to put it in the PS2. Along with a lot of other games in my collection.

17. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Actually I like the sneaking stuff. Shooting is easy, and got a little boring for me about a decade ago.

I love the game, though it is a little on the short side. Well designed, great humor. I would love to see a "Wii-ified" version released with some control and content enhancements to see if the game could actually find the audience it deserves.

May I also recommend Psychonauts? Its another highly acclaimed title that failed to sell last gen. It is a solid platformer (there is collecting, but it is not essential to get the story) and flat out hysterical in a very twisted way. It may be my favorite game of the last generation (KOTOR, Jade Empire, Eternal Darkness and, of course, RE4 are the other contenders).

18. misterd

Ever been out for a walk, and when you come in the house, smelled something funny, then looked at your feet and saw a brown, gooey substance smooshed into the treads of your sneakers?

That was the sales of BG&E.

19. Primevil

Ebay:
    I've gotten further into the Slaughterhouse and I have to say, I'm starting to like the sneaking a little more. I've gone through about three rooms that I found very challenging. Two of them I got killed in a few times, the third took only one try but it was a close one. The challenge involved created so much tension and it became fun. It doesn't get much more exciting than crouch-walking right behind a patrolling guard and diving into the hallway to safety, but drawing the guard's attention by triggering the door to the next room.

And Psychonauts is another gem I've mostly learned of well after the fact. I heard of it when it got released, but didn't pay attention to it because it was only on X-Box and PC at the time (don't have the former, don't do much gaming on the latter). Wish I had paid attention to it when the PS2 version came out. I'm also kicking myself for not buying Okami when it came out, but I didn't have my PS2 with me while I was at school and was broke whenever I was home.

20. misterd

You can probably get PN cheap off eBay. After years of fairly standard platormer levels (the lava level, the ice level, etc) there are some truly unique ideas here (black velvet painting world, conspiracy theory suburb, lungfishopolis, the meat circus). I'd highly recommend it to any plaforming fan, or any gamer with a twisted sense of humor (seriously - last level has killer meat-bunnies!)