Beware When Ordering From Toy Arena

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deltagod, Jul 24, 2012.

1. deltagod

deltagod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been trying to finish off my G1 commemorative collection over the past few weeks, with SDCC and these boards renewing my interest and joy.

I ordered from Toy Arena, what was a "BRAND NEW" Commemorative Series VII Reissue Side Swipe.

The box I got was double taped on the top, so while it looked sealed it appears that they shipped an item which was opened and carefully resealed at some point, but the kicker is that the plastic tray inside is torn/ripped.

IN MY OPINION Toy Arena is an incredibly shady business and they aren't even willing to stand fully behind their 100% guarantee and pay the return shipping to send the item back - when it wasn't even new.

Some pictures:
    http://i.imgur.com/frB77.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/yYg2j.jpg

Does anyone have advice on a more reputable dealer since in my opinion I find that Toy Arena sucks?

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you contact Toy Arena for a fix? I've been a fan of Toy Arena for years and this type of problem just doesn't sound like them.

3. deltagod

News Credits:
    They're totally willing to replace it if I pay the $10 shipping plus insurance to send it back, which is a bit messed up since this isn't even shipping damage, but an item which was opened and the insides decimated. It gives me little satisfaction that they include a form that shows it was "verified" with a staff initial but a "manager verification" line that is blank.

I can't make a shipping claim since the package wasn't damaged in shipping, but is instead a used item they sold as new. I even wrote them initially saying I wasn't going to leave any negative feedback and I just wanted to get this resolved fairly.

Their words:
    ""Please keep the item original conditional, which is factory sealed and return the item for a refund. Return shipping is buyer's responsibility of the buyer as stated in our policy. We will have eBay mediate going forward. Have a nice day. "

4. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You could just file a paypal claim, they always take the buyers side. Especially if you have proof.

5. deltagod

News Credits:
    I disputed through eBay and sent them both pictures and video and when I called them they said not to worry, so I have some faith - but I purchased specifically from a larger seller (at a small premium) to not have to worry about this stuff.

The good news is that the other items I've gotten this week have all been exactly as described, but is this sort of things common when trying to collect the older ones?

I still need 7 more of the commemorative G1 series to complete the collection and was considering the Masterpiece versions after that, but it doesn't seem worth the aggravation if this is common in the collectors world.

6. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just because a box is double taped doesn't mean Toy Arena opened it. If they had to check something in the factory things will often get opened and re-taped. Maybe the guy who put that box together forgot to stick the instructions in and had to open the box to check?

I've seen entire runs of toys double-taped (the GI Joe RoC "Ross exclusives" were notorious for being double-taped).

If you were going to open it anyway, why does it matter?

7. deltagod

News Credits:
    I didn't say that they opened it, they have no vested interest in doing so - simply that "they shipped an item which was opened and carefully resealed at some point," and sold this as new - there is no way the plastic tray gets ripped like that with the outer packaging being in great shape.

The plastic tray inside is in pretty bad shape (you can see from the photos) which goes against all of their guarantees and inspection messages.

If I was going to open it this wouldn't matter, but my entire collection (which isn't that huge yet) remains sealed in original packages and safe away from sunlight until such point I can decide if I want to invest in some sort of UV safe display boxes.

8. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah i had kinda the same experience with them, car robots super mode prowl, item listed as new and good box condition, item is new but the box was totally water damaged with weird discoloration/deposit inside, requested return/refund, they gave me the run around about only accept return if it's sealed condition (how am i supposed to know there's deposits/molds inside unless i opened it). going back and forth with their customer service who finally gave up as their manager approved for return i guess as 'special consideration' for me. had to pay return shipping as well when it was them that screwed up the first place.

from what i understand, if you're ordering recently released stuffs from them, it's going to be fine, but older items like rid/braves tend to have water/humidity damaged boxes (may be even heat/humidity damaged toys inside too) they probably found them cheap at a warehouse somewhwere. they'll claim it's 'new and good condition' with generic photos without mentioning the humidity damages, this alone is pretty shady business, and they DO give you the run around for returning if you opened the item and found out it's damaged.

their 'inspection' for box condition is pretty much a lie, they just hope to get away with shipping damaged box as much as possible, most people don't complain because they are technically new, but i really value honest pictures and descriptions, so i called them out on that.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup I've purchased stuff from them multiple times (older stuff and newer releases) and have never had a problem with them.

A little while ago I ordered the TFC Toys Optimus/Megatron Targetroid two-pack from them and the Megatron came without a head. I contacted them to let them know, not long after they stated they'd get a replacement part out and right after that, the replacement head came, free of charge. I know that's not the same situation as what the thread author is dealing with, but I've always been good with their customer service.

I thought the only issues people had with Toy Arena was prices on certain items (I know the Soundwave headband thing didn't go over well) and occasional issues with the website (I've had this happen to me, and I just e-mail them and it gets straightened out).

10. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

If you file an "item not as described" claim through paypal, they will send you an email with a printable free shipping label to send it back to the seller. Just make sure to keep a copy and that the tracking number they provide is entered in correctly. As soon as they see it arrived back to the seller they will issue a refund to you. No charges to you at all, just keeps some of your money tied up for a while. This happened to me last month with a classics ramjet that had been taped back up. The seller took pictures at an angle to not show the tape, but made it impossible for me to complete my collection of coneheads moc for display.

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know about non-TF items, but I've ordered a ton of older stuff from them (Beast Era, Car Robots included) and everything's arrived in great shape.

I haven't been aware of any trends towards the negative recently regarding Toy Arena and the condition of items they ship out, be they old or new.

12. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't tear apart a retailer as a whole because of one slip up. I've purchased MISB items from them without an issue

Either take it up with Paypal or pay the $10

13. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I think he isn't complaining so much about the slip up as the policy of not compensating the buyer in whole for the slip up.

14. doctajones428

"Please keep the item original conditional, which is factory sealed and return the item for a refund. Return shipping is buyer's responsibility of the buyer as stated in our policy. We will have eBay mediate going forward. Have a nice day. "

15. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brand new poster trashing a well respected and established company as a whole because of one supposed mistake?

;) 

"Take it up with paypal, or pay the $10.." about sums it up.

16. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

He didn't say they're a fraud. He's saying beware of the business. That includes beware of their policies. You said that you wouldn't tear apart a retailer for one slip up. I wouldn't tear apart a retailer for multiple slip ups: if they made right on their mistake. A retailer that won't do so, one time or many, deserves a complaint.

17. doctajones428

They will, but it's their store policy that the buyer pays shipping. I'm sure he knew that before making the purchase

18. deltagod

News Credits:
    You have to start posting one time or another... right now I'm also trying to create a spreadsheet on things I still to finish this collection before I go on to masterpiece.

19. deltagod

News Credits:
    If we're sticking to the letter of policy they still haven't shipped me a brand new in box item as described or stuck to their word:

20. doctajones428

Again, they screwed up. They are offering you a refund, take it