Minor/Repaint: BEWARE! The Doctor is in...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Autobot Burnout, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

That's right folks, I'm doing Shattered Glass Ratchet! I stumbled upon the TFwiki entry for him one day, and he instantly appealed to me, as reading what little info there was on the mentaly-twisted "medic" had him looking like the equivelent to some of the more serious Radicons here, as he likes to "modify" other Transformers to make them "better" in a sense, although his sense of what makes improvements is disliked and feared by every other Autobot in the SG continuity because they don't think having some old junk replacing their body parts is as good idea as Ratchet thinks, just ask SG Rodimus about the saw hand or even SG Blurr about SG Wheeljack.

Anyways, I will be using a junker Energon Roadblock for the base body, judging from the one picture of Ratchet that exists (see attached pic and my avatar), but it will be awhile before I can really size up what I need to do since I actually bought said junker last night: Transformers ENERGON ROADBLOCK FOR PARTS 2004 - eBay (item 260405998090 end time Jul-20-09 20:31:12 PDT), and judging from the one working pic the seller has, this junker is missing the crane arm, the left arm, the head (possibly along with the repositioning system for turning into the top of a two-bot energon combiner), the vehicle mode side skirt thingies, and all the paperwork. Of those, my biggest issues are the missing left arm and the head itself. I'll need to aquire a suitable left arm (from another E. Inferno or Roadblock) and the head was going to require being heavily modified from something or even scratchbuilt, anyways, since E. Roadblock's head looks nothing like Ratchet.

But that leaves the problem of how exactly to hide the head in vehicle mode, since normaly all the head did was have the helmet flip down to hide the face. Since I do not have that luxury with Ratchet's head, I will need to figure out a way to hide it while preserving transformability, and I've got two ideas for that:

1. if the figure retains the complete assembly the original head attached to (not likley), I could use it to simply hide the head under the arms in vehicle mode.

or

2. In the event the head and it's assembly are both missing/incomplete, I may try and pull a "G1 Prime" style head transformation (where the front of the truck/cab/whatever flips foward and the head flips out from hiding). The combining gimmick will probably need to be neutered, but let's be honest, who really liked the two-bot symetrical combining gimmick in Energon anyways?

Any Comments, Adivce, or criticism of my deranged project plan will be appreciated! Oh yeah, mods, I didn't know if I should've put this thread in "Minor/Repaint" or "Heavy/Scratchbuilt", but since I figured I'm going to have to re-engineer the head transformation, I stuck it here.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I frogot to mention something. You see that purple cross on Ratchet's sholder in the pics? That's where the molded Autobot Symbol is on the physical Roadblock figure's right sholder, so I'm going to be a little loose in my creation of him as instead of the cross it will be the purple Autobot symbol.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2009
  2. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh hell yes!!!!

3. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

I agree with this statement, ten fold.
    Which would actually be:
    OH MOTHER F*** YEAH, AND ****
    INSIDE A **** SANDWICH!!

4. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

5. Autobot Burnout

Considering I just got the e-Mail confirming the Roadblock corpse/junker has been mailed, I'm more or less committed now!:D 

I still need to track down a spare left arm, though, and I'm pondering on wether to try spraypainting SG Ratchet white or stick with my tried-and-true method of hand painting.

6. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    Nice, Cannot wait to see it. I plan on making one for my collection, but i will use the classics Ratchet as a base. He will fit right in with my SG, prowl, hound, smokescreen, etc. I love the sg universe.

7. chris-morada

chris-morada Banned

Intriguingly cool idea, I'm watching this!

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i want to do this soooooooooooooooooo badly, but can't think of a headsculpt that would work

9. StuntPrime35

StuntPrime35 Dreads for life

News Credits:
    damn, i shall try and beat u there!

10. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Sweet. You do what you think is best. Or did it cross your mind of using Universe Ratchet for SG or is that not what you wanted. Well anyways you have my support of this project.

11. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Why don't you just sand the logo off?

12. lotussouljah

lotussouljah Well-Known Member

WOW, last night as I was looking around Shattered Glass, trying to find freakin purple Prime like every member on this, I came across that exact photo you have on your avatar. Thought to myself, would be sick if someone did this. Lo and behold!! Good luck man, can't wait to see how fantastic it would be. In my humble opinion, you should do the cross. maybe X it out instead like Moylan's! :thumb  The cross is what makes Ratchet, just my thoughts. Go for it!!!

13. Autobot Burnout

So do I, I find the revered versions in Shattered Glass of some characters to be quite hillarious and interesting (like SG Hound being deathly afraid of Earth and the mini-con Wisper trying to freak out SG Swoop with things like "I HATE YOUR FEEEEEEEEEEEET!":lol )

Thanks!:D 

I'm thinking of either using a modded Classics Ratchet head or making my own head from sculpting clay (ala Sculpt-bot's tutorials). I want to try my hand at sculpting, so I'm leaning towards the latter option, plus a custom-sculpted head would allow me to put SG Ratchet's slightly psychotic smile on the face, a requirement for the character (for me, anyways)

If you've got the money, go for it!:lol 

It crossed my mind, but if you notice, the picture I attached (the only known image of SG Ratchet at the present time) shows the body as Energon Roadblock (the bumper design is the giveaway), and I want to get close as much as possible to the offical reference picture as I can.

Another reason is because of the fact that buying the Roadblock junker was cheaper than buying a Deluxe Uni. Ratchet:lol  I'm trying to spend as little money as possible, as I desperately want Movie Fallen, but he's never in stores, and I don't want to run the risk of not having enough money to buy him if I do see him.

14. Autobot Burnout

Because I'm doing that with my Energon Prime (and trying not to damage the sholder pad is very, VERY hard), plus I feel it will be easier to just paint the molded symbol Purple rather than make a request for someone to print me a set of Purple Autobot logos, since I'm on a budget.

Well, I do agree with you that Ratchet's sholder crosses do make the character template, but I really want to preserve that Autobot symbol. Of course the cross just needs to be ON the sholder, not just there, so maybe I could move the cross to the top of the sholder on the same armor. I've figured I'll have to take some liberties with my version, as it won't have clear minty green windows (what's to look at in there? the connection ports for the upper body form?).

Also, thanks again to everybody for the good luck wishing!:D 

15. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I see, well good luck on getting this custom started and getting Movie Fallen.

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Wow, can't wait to see this!! I'm working on some SG figs too. Well they're in design hiatus till i finish ANi-Menasor. But mine will have a crazy medic too.... we'll have to do a photoshopped shoot together when we're both done!

this is going to be AWESOME.... plus the roadblock mold looks a lot more deisel and.. beat-downish than the Uni Ratchet mold.

17. Autobot Burnout

Thanks on both counts!:D 

That is an AWESOME idea, we should have our insane medical personel meet up someday, when they're done of course:D 

18. Techdread

Techdread Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you wanted, I'd be more than happy to get some SG Autobot symbols for you. No cost or anything

19. Autobot Burnout

No cost, eh? Well, I may need to take you up on that offer, due to the fact it turns out the Roadblock junker's Autobot symbol is actually a tampograph, not molded detail (PM me for my address). Which means I can put the purple cross on the sholder AND relocate the Purple Bot logo elsewhere (I'm thinkin on top of that same sholder peice).

But yeah, the junker came in today! As I feared, the left arm is totally gone, along with all but the very base of the head assembly. The Crane gun is also gone, but that assembly can be totally removed, so if I can't track down the rest of the crane I can just leave the crane assembly totally off. The Left arm is still gong to be hard to track down, but I'll probably find one I can use.

But that just leaves the head as my biggest issue. I can NOT figure out how to hide it in vehicle mode. With the assembly all but gone, the idea of grafting the new head on is not an option, and due to the cab window having only one peg close to the top to hold it in most of the time, my "hidden head under the cab" idea is totally shot as well. Of course, it anyone has ideas I could possibly use, I'm totally open. I'll post pics of the junker later, my camera is charging its batteries at the moment.

20. StuntPrime35

StuntPrime35 Dreads for life

News Credits:
    would you be willing do get send me some Shattered Glass Autobot insignias? I'm doing the exact same thing as AutobotBurnout here and we have gotten ourselves into quite a competition