Beware! ACER REPAIR Company.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by grunge, Feb 20, 2012.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Desperate for a new computer when my old one died on me, I went to Wal-mart and purchased and Emachine computer, this was the first mistake I made. The computer worked great ... for a month. Then the harddrive died. I mailed away the computer to have it fixed. It came back within 2 weeks and I was happy. Then ... within a week ... the same problem I was expeirencing had come back! The Hard Drive according the invoice had nothing wrong with it but it Blue Screen of Deathed me. Nothing wrong my @$$! So once I take my computer to Best Buy, they take it in for a free diagnostic to see what was wrong with it. It failed the Seatools Test, hard drive was indeed dead.

So after asking a friend to let me use their computer becuase thats the only way you can speak to a human, as via telephone you get a automated recording that can't comprehend you when telling the SN ID of your computer. when trying to ask for a human it doesn't comprehend that either. I enjoyed the name of the webchat rep i got for the repair company, Skreekanth. No, really, that was the name.

Now after sending it away for a second time and having gotten it back and gettin my internet fix ... i come home today to find this black screen:
    "disc read error
    Press Ctrl + alt + del to restart"
    Which does nothing but constantly take me back to that screen.

The point of this? If you or a friend has a warrenty with ACER REPAIR company, forget it. They have poor service in terms of repair, and customer support. if you want to speak with a human? It cost money you must pay to speak with a human, who is likely out sourced from what my exp tells me.

So now I'm finding I gave Wal-Mart $400 for nothing, and am finding that Dell's starting price is $450. Which I don't have. It's winter there's nothing to do. Bordem is killing me.

On a final note, why did I buy from Wal-mart? with no internet access to buy from Dell again, I had no other option. My ingnorance has cost me greatly I now know.

How am I posting this you may ask before I submit this thread? Well I shall tell you. Through my Wii, typing with the on screen keyboard with the wii-mote. such is my fate ....

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, your best bet (for next time anyway) will probably be to take it to a small business in your are that specializes in personal computer repairs, or at least offers affordable rates. Also, one of the things I looked for was a repair place that charged a flat inspection fee before giving me a random estimate. That way, I didn't get locked into pay whatever the hell they claim, regardless of whether or not anything was getting fixed.

3. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

Ya know I have an Acer in the other room here that died a few weeks ago. I gave to a family member to fix. He said it was locked up and he had to go through and Bio-Unlock it, if that makes sense. We got it back, and then it died the next day. I tried to do what he did with a different monitor, mine, and had no luck. So I'm just going to say Acers suck, hard.

4. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    I live in the boonies ... There's nothing short of bestbuy around here. Dell was good! My last 1, computer, was a Dell and lasted 5 years. It costed me $500 and if you think about it ... that $100 a year. That isn't bad, considering the amount of use I got out of it.

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Also to be fair, desktops normally don't last more than 5 years anyway without repairs, and for laptops you're lucky to have anything salvageable after 2. If we manage to have something usable after that (especially if you're someone who uses it every day), then it's all good. I mean, you're spending a shitload of money to keep a car going anyway (be it new or old), and the same goes for just about every other aspect of life. It sucks when shit breaks down because it feels like you've just been robbed, but it's just part of the cost of living.

/cents

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    My default response for discussions such as these:

I hate computers.

7. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Printers, too.

They're stupid.

8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This may be fixable. Let's cover a few things.

1.) There is nothing wrong with shopping at Wal-Mart.
    2.) This is not Wal-Mart's fault.
    3.) Yes Acers suck.
    4.) If two different hard drives fail, it's not the drives, it's the motherboard.

Option 1: Use the restore disc set to reinstall Windows. The error you're receiving now can sometimes come from being a bare drive. (Meaning, they didn't reinstall anything for you, just sent it back with new hardware.

Option 2: Open the case (it's easy, don't panic) to check and see if the SATA cables are connected. If either the smaller data one is loose or disconnected, or the same for the larger power cable, then the same problems will happen. Just reconnect them and see what happens.

Option 3: The socket could be bad on the motherboard. Most motherboards have 4-6 SATA ports. 0, 1, 2, 3. 0 is always the one where the HDD is connected. Move the DVDRW to 2, the HDD to 1. Moving it to a new socket could fix everything.

If none of these options work, then the hard drive replacement possibly has failed, but I find it odd that two would die in the same PC. It's either a failing motherboard, HDD not connected/connected incorrectly or you're just incredibly unlucky.

Either way, this is not Wal-Mart's fault. None of it. They simply sold the product, they had no idea there would be manufacturing defects. This is why they give you a 14 day return period when buying a PC. In case anything would go wrong.

9. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

And we have learned to never buy another Acer :lol 

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ** Do you still have the warranty on it? **

I'm sorry to hear that, but my mom had an Acer for years and bought it from Staples, but she didn't get the $400.00 either.

I'm really am sorry. Sometimes you don't know what's worse, the money you spent, the heartache, or the time you spent on trying to fix it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My brother-in-law had a Acer laptop that came from Walmart. It only lasted a year.

I've heard too many horror stories about eMachines.

I usually get advice from an uncle of mine who is retired from Texas Instruments.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I must be the exception that proves the rule as my last 3 computers have been emachines all bought at Wal-mart and none of them gave me any problems save for the first which was better than 5 years old when the motherboard fried.

13. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I had a Gateway that failed after 6 years b/c of a bath in sweet tea, the Toshiba I replaced it has been with me since 2008.

14. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hmm, my Acer desktop has lasted me ages now... but I haven't been really using it at all for the past couple of years. Just started to again now, since our Macbook died.

I do remember having to deal with their customer service once, though. And they thoroughly sucked. As in, non-existent.

15. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Since 2002, I've gone through 4 laptops...an HP, 2 Dells, and an Acer(lasted little over a year). I'm back to an HP again, which is just over 2 years old.

The big difference is that my current laptop has pretty much stayed put. The others had traveled with me frequently while I was in the military, which meant that they've been dropped, banged around, through airport X-rays, stuff spilled on them, etc.

But yeah, the Acer was definitely the worst out of the bunch as the HD inexplicably died on me.

My Mom bought an eMachines desktop PC and that didn't last too long, either...she now has a Dell.

16. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I just fixed an eMachines for someone. It had 2 bad caps but I had picked it up because it was overheating. Later found out that the heat sink on the bottom had become detached from the board. I ended up upgrading the board.

17. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bad caps on an eMachines board are wayyyyy too common.

18. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    OK rule 1: Do NOT buy electronics from WalMart... Any electronics... I repair electronics for a living... I've had the most issues from WalMart PC's, TV's, ect... Cheaply made.
    2: Order from TigerDirect, Newegg, or Amazon. You typically don't pay taxes, they cost less and shipping is normally free but fast (Ordered a probook for a client on Wendsday night arrived Friday afternoon through Tiger Direct).
    3: When it comes to laptops go with a business line like HP probooks for example. Loads of "extras" better "costumer" service than their home line.

19. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    What about...

4. Don't buy shit outa the back of a Jetta on your way out of TRU.

20. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

Acer is pretty much the yogo of computers. Just be glad it did not burst into flame.