Between DC & MARVEL characters, which ones seem like copies/rip-offs of one another?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by netkid, Dec 22, 2011.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Between DC & MARVEL characters, which ones seem like copies/rip-offs of one another?

One example I can think of are the silimarities between Deathstroke (Slade Wilson) and Deadpool (Wade Wilson).

Discuss.

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I've recently seen the DC animated movie about this Crisis on Earth-2. One of them looked exactly like Powerman from Marvel and in Marvel Universe there is Speed Demon who could be The Flash from DC.

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Deadpool is intentionally a blatant rip off of Deathstroke...

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Marvel's Shi'Ar Imperial Guard is a blatant homage to DC's Legion of Super-Heroes.

Marvel's Squadron Supreme and DC's ... okay, I don't remember what they were called, but the group that Silver Sorceress and BlueJay came from - were totally the JLA and Avengers, respectively.

In all three of these cases, though, these were meant as intentional homages, not rip-offs. The Imperial Guard, for instance, were created this way because the artist on X-Men at the time had just come off a wildly successful run on the Legion.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Deadpool isn't a "rip-off", as he started out as an intentional parody of Deathstroke.

Not a rip-off either, but the Cyborg Superman's origin is an homage to the Fantastic Four, with Hank Henshaw standing in for Reed Richards. Henshaw even commented on the similarity of their beginnings when he met the FF during a crossover.

6. netkid

News Credits:
    So a bunch of instances that may seem like ripoffs or copies are actually homages. Cool.

7. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Then of course, there's always Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Green Arrow & Black Canary. lol

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Champions of Angor.

If you want blatant rip-offs from Marvel or DC you've got to look beyond them for it.

Examples being
    -Captain Marvel is a rip-off of Superman (3 court decisions back this up)
    -Ted Kord Blue Beetle is Batman
    -The Crimson Avenger is a rip-off of the Shadow
    -In 1993 Marvel created a character called Nightwatch to cash in on Spawn's popularity, he just like Spawn visually (and in terms of character), but just different enough not to get sued

DC also has a bunch of characters that are rip-offs of their own characters. Like Starman and Green Arrow are Superman and Batman.

9. netkid

News Credits:
  10. DJPrime39

DJPrime39 mUnKY

Sentry is a copy of Superman

11. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Well for a while Marvel's Captain Marvel was ripping of DC's Captain Marvel by having a teen (Rick Jones) turn into a superhero through a gimmick (touching the two Nega bands on his wrists vs saying Shazam) :p 

Also I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed, but were the X-Men ripping off the Doom Patrol? A group of outcasts led by a man in a wheelchair :p  I think I remember reading about this in CBR a few months or a year ago or so.

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

In a way. He's a Marvel version of the ultra powerful "cape" type character that they really don't do. So yes Sentry is as much Superman as Moon Knight is Batman.

13. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Ya know, I was thinking of this exact same thing the other day. But, it wasn't so much calling it rip-offs as much as similarities. Such as, you have the billionares of the comics, Batman and Ironman(best super power ever, btw), they used their money to make their powers/gagets. Or Deadpool and Deathstroke(as stated above). Unfortunately, that was as far as I went, because I just got too distracted thinking about it.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's never been proven if it was intentional, but oh man are there a lot of similarities.

I think having characters that are so similar is usually due to one of two reasons: 1) Lighthearted competition, homage, and reference to the work of others, often people who went between the two companies at one time or another. 2) Market Pressure, as in "well the other guys just made a superhero who's also a gorilla and it's selling like hotcakes how can we get a piece of that action?!".

Interestingly enough, there are also characters within the same universes/companies who are references (rather than reinterpretations, updates, or successors) to established characters, such as many of the characters in Watchmen.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  15. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    There's also the Power Girl- Powerman thing.

But Power Girl's better for.... two massive reasons. :lol 

16. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mongul is a rip off of Thanos who is a rip off of Darkseid.

17. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    ^But didn't Mongol show up before Thanos?

EDIT: Just did a Wikipedia search. Thanos showed up in '73 and Mongul showed up in '80.

18. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

X-Men debuted slightly earlier in the same year as the Doom Patrol, but neither party admits having taken the idea, nor stolen the idea from the other. A lot of commonalities aside, it was pure coincidence and one of those miracles of fate and timing. Neither ripped off or copied or even parodied or inspired the other one.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again, not necessarily rip-offs or copies, but some other characters with similarities:

- Green Lantern (Hal) and Nova (Richard Rider) - Both characters inducted into a group of intergalactic police officers by a dying alien.
    - Swamp Thing and (Giant-Size) Man-Thing - Very similar origins, both of which were very close to that of a third non-Big Two character, and both debuted very close together.
    - The Joker and Carnage - Both insane serial killers, plus Carnage's alter ego looks like The Joker; take an early appearance of Cletus Kasady, give him green hair and white skin, and the two characters would be virtually indistinguishable. The Batman/Spider-Man crossover did a good job showing some philosophical differences between the two, though.

How is Power Girl a copy/rip-off of Power Man in any way, other than that they both have "Power" in their name? I can't think of any other similarity between the two characters. That's like saying Captain America is a copy/rip-off of (DC's) Captain Marvel because they both have the rank of "Captain".

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I find Gladiator of the Shi'ar guard to be the original rip-off of Superman.

Originally, I thought Sentry was an exact copy of Kal-El, until I read his fight with the Hulk in the final issue of World War Hulk - the dude releases flames like some of energy bursts - which was cool IMO.

Actually, IMO all 3 characters have evolved to such an extent that Thanos doesn't feel like a copy of Darkseid and Mongul doesn't feel like a copy of Thanos. Kudos to the writers for the character development especially on Thanos.