Repro/Sticker: Better than 1/2 price sale on heads!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sculpt-bot, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

SB, Is there any chance we can get a tutorial on how to drill a proper neckball socket? Im afraid that I'll buy some of these heads and wreck them trying to get the post hole right,

2. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I second that. I stink at this sort of thing.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    not really necessary.

simply find a drill bit that is the same size as the ball you need it to mount, and drill a hole straight up from the bottom of the head. now, if you want more than simple side-to-side rotation, drill a new hole from the back of the head so that you can go squarely into the top of the vertical hole you already drilled. If you then barely wallow-out the bottom from the vertical hole until you get to the rear hole, you'll have a full range of motion, horizontal, vertical, and even tilt. I'm pretty sure there's a nice picture of the back of my Classics Motormaster head in Menasor's folder in the gallery so you can see how it looks.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Awesome Redline.

Another cool way to make a wannabe ball-joint is to have the ball from the bottom of the head, and then instead of an actual socket, which can get loose and wiggly, use a ZOIDS rubber cover thing. The ball joint/peg will sit in that rubber holster giving long-lasting neck articulation.

5. aurascope

aurascope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'm interested to buy a head from you how do I contact you by email?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. REDLINE

News Credits:
    just PM him.

7. Sculpt-bot

Sculpt-bot So waddya want, a medal?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    REDLINE has it pretty much nailed down. One thing that I do is start with a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the ball post that I am going to be using, and starting with that. I then use a small rounded ball bit (Dremel) and take a little material out at a time. Test fit often, and you should be able to get a nice tight fit. I also bevel the bottom of the hole out (basically an inverted cone), and this allows for more than just side to side rotation.
    I do have some tutorials that I have been taking pics for over the last few weeks, and I will probably do a "posting" segment in one of them.
    Glad to hear the heads are arriving too!
    Look forward to the projects!

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I too would love a Punch/Counterpunch head to fit Universe Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker!

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    yeah I bevel mine out as well, though I've not used a dremel (I DO have a round-ball bit though!) I just use a drill bit that's between the stem size and the ball size, drill in, "walk" it in a circle to bevel the bottom, and then drill in straight from the back and finally clear a channel between the two holes. This gets me that rotation, angling, and even tilting.