Bet With My Wife

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by pcsguy88, Sep 4, 2007.

1. pcsguy88

pcsguy88 I'm a Toys R Us kid TFW2005 Supporter

Hello all,

I need your help to settle a bet with my wife. I was showing her my recent paint work on Movie Ironhide when she said it's a shame that painting them destroys their collector's value. We logged into Ebay to look at other Ironhide customs and saw them range between $40 and $220. We have both guessed an Ebay value for mine and want you guys to tell us what he is worth. This is for fun, otherwise i would just put him on Ebay.

Thanks for your input.

O'yeah, I have some minor touch/clean-up work and a clearcoat, but didn't want to wait. Here are the pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really know what to tell you as far as how much yours is worth, but I can tell you that a movie figure that has such a huge production run, the "collector's value" is never going to be that high. Remember, older toys are worth so much because ebay didn't exist and people didn't buy them by the armfuls in stores to keep them MISB, to sell on ebay.

3. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    However, while the production run on the movie toys is high, what's the production run on custom repaints? Comparatively pretty low, right?

4. Commtech

Commtech Voice Over Bot

News Credits:
    $50-$60, ebay price.

5. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I havwe to tell you that your's is one of the best repaints I have seen, but I can't tell how much it's worth.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    As far as collectors value goes, I doubt it could be that high, as it is now of no use for anyone looking for an altered mint movie Ironhide.

However, as far as ebay value and general market value, painting it could fetch a pretty penny.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ebay is saturated with movie repaints. guessing a value is impossible. I've seen some absolutely terrible "repaints" go for over a hundred, and some stellar ones go for just above retail price.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I'd say it's definitely worth more than you paid for it at the store. $50 easy. More if there are also alterations to the alt mode, like if the exhausts are chromed and the mirrors made reflective.

That said, I think the only way to know for sure would be a real auction. Second best way would be a fake auction...kinda like the first game on the Price is Right. (Except I think they do win those...but you get the idea.)

So Price is Right style, based on what I can see, $50.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

gah, I'd like to know, b/c ironhide's are readily available near me, and I know how quickly this can be done. I wouldn't mind making $100/hr ;) 

10. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yea, but as people said above, you could sell one on ebay and have it go for $40, and then the next sell for $100. From what I've seen, it just depends on who happens to notice your auction.

11. pcsguy88

I think it is luck of the draw on ebay. Today the high is $26. 2 days ago, Jin's was going for $220 and that Ironhide was only detail painting, no full repaint or custom molding. Thank you for your replies and kind words. I'll be doing detail painting to all of my movie figs over the next few months for my personal collection. And yes ckhtiger, not counting drying time, an hour or two is all it takes. I'll spend another hour on him cleaning up where I went over the lines and doing something with his hands and feet, but that is all.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

sure makes a world of difference on the movie figs, that's for sure. I've never seen such unpainted detail on transformers before, except for vector prime.

13. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

you forgot to paint the knuckles -- what were you thinking?

14. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    He forgot a little more than just that if he was trying to make it "movie accurate".

15. pcsguy88

Does anyone really know what "movie accurate" is? He looked solid black on film, but the CGI pics in the gallery have an awful lot of grey. I need to hit the hobby shop to find a grey or flat metal color to do his hands and feet. I don't care about accuracy, I just want him to look realistic like any machine of war out in the field.

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think that the big eBay Custom Movie Repaint Craze of '07 is well and truly coming to an end and the value of custom movie repaints is on the way back down to about retail price.

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Your custom Ironhide will skyrocket way over the the ebay price for a regular Ironhide.
    When custom jobs are as good as yours, they're always worth more.

So your wife is only half right.