Best/Worst TF Combiner group?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OmegaWolverine, Jan 29, 2012.

1. OmegaWolverine

OmegaWolverine Well-Known Member

My best/favorite TF combiner group are The Predacons (Predaking)

My worst/least favorite combiner are Trainbots (raiden)

Whose your best/worst combiner?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only combiners I really know are from the G1 cartoon. My favorite would be the Combaticons or Constructicons. Least favorite are the Terrorcons. I just never really cared for the Terrorcons for some reason compared to the other combiners/combiner teams.

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Best combiners: Magnaboss, Tripredacus, and Rail Racer. no kibble what so ever. (i supose i could include puzzler ... but ... no.)

Worst: Devastator. i think has most kibble and isnt main body a shell that team links on to?
    (and the upon me shall be a hell fire the likes of which has never been seen before!)

4. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Best: Rail Racer, Predaking, Bruticus, Menasor, King Poseidon.
    Worst: Movie Devastator.

5. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Out of the entire franchise? Or just G1?

I really like the MicroMaster combiners, Sixtrain, Sixbuild, Sixwing. They are the only G1 combiners which I don't feel need an update. The Legends class movie Devastator is an amazing feat of engineering, but I didn't like the character.

PCC and Hasbro movie Devastator did nothing for me. Devastator Maximus probably takes my award for worst though.

6. roadblaster

roadblaster Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Roadblaster's law of combining robots-
    'The simpler the legs of the commander, the better the combiner.

Onslaught has really simple legs, basically boxes with wheels on. Therefore the Combaticons and Bruticus are the best combiner. Don't believe me? How many versions were released? Habro believe me.

I know there are people out there who love Menasor. I think he'd be great if it wasn't for the halves of a tractor cab he had hanging from him hamstrings.

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm not a fan of the Power Core Combiners either, despite how strongly PCC fans argue when they say things like, "why don't you like PCC? It has a lot of play value".

8. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Or the fact that he's not much larger than Motormaster alone.

I've always liked the idea of Devastator more than the execution of the figure. I thought the Dinoforce one was atrocious as the individual characters were just too blocky. The monster ones (pretenders/seacons/terrorcons) featured characters that were just too generic.

Defensor is one my favorites but suffers from the problem that most combiners do in that individual components are out of scale from each other. (See also: Arielbots, Combaticons, Constructicons).

I think the best combiner toy-wise/charcter-wise is Predaking. (Though Raiden was pretty cool too).

9. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Worst - any of the Power Core Combiners.
    Best - I'm not sure what the best is, but my favorite toy-wise is Predaking. Character-wise is Computron.

10. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Best - Toy wise? Hercules. Despite some slight QC issues, its my favorite combiner ever, toywise. Runners up for me would the Gobot Puzzler, and Predaking.
    Characterwise? - I'll go with Devastator/Predaking. Devastator was the first, and therefore one of the ones that caught your eye the most.... he has a unique silohuette. Predaking is just badass... a group of hunter beasts that form the ultimate hunter? They should have been played as bigger rivals to the dinbots. Not to mention that his toy, despite being over 2 decades old is still one of the best combiners ever.

Worst? - The Beast (ugly ass one shot dinobot combiner), and movie Devastator. The Beast was just a terrible idea, ugly and damn near a fan character. Movie Devastator... what can't I say bad? No character, bad toys, a weak showing in the fiction. Sad that the OG TF combiner was updated in such a lame and unexciting fashion.

11. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

This is sadly true of the Scramble City combiners as a whole. It's bad enough that the central character is not much shorter than the combined form, but when he also towers over all his team mates just because he's the torso of the big guy it feels like cheating somehow.

For that reason the best would have to be Devastator, Raiden and Predaking. Devastator wins purely because I love the idea of a team of construction vehicle TFs. And in TFs in general I'm much more a fan of real world alt-modes than giant robot animals. So Devastator is my favourite.

Never owned or even seen in person the Raiden set (time for an Encore?), but I think I'd like it. Shame they never got exposure in (Western) G1.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BEST
    - Constructicons (always #1 for me)
    - Predacons
    - Combaticons
    - Aerialbots

WORST
    - Stunticons
    - Seacons
    - Terrorcons
    - Protectobots

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Worst:

Devestator
    Bruticus (Both are horribly overused)

Best:

Defensor
    Menasor
    Computron
    Road Caeser

14. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

best is trainbots , dinoforce
    worst is seasons , stunticons

15. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

While I'm not a huge Devastator fan... I can't argue, he was an AWESOME toys (yes, grammar error on purpose). While his legs weren't, his arms were pretty awesomely articulated for G1. I never had a COMPLETE one... I had a G1 Mixmaster and Scrapper which were both terribly incomplete by the time I grabbed the yellow G2s for the rest of the team... I think I ended up selling em all off. Oops.

I was always a fan of Computron, too.

To include post-G1 stuff...

Rail Racer is pretty awesome. I know he's become a cliché answer, but there's a good reason for that. He/they is/are really that good. The individual bots suffer... mostly from being trains, not for the combining gimmick. Mostly. But they're still pretty neat.

Worst:

Energon combiners. That said, I only have Bruticus and Superion - both with their Fansproject upgrades (which takes them both from suck to awesome)... the individual toys are all pretty cool, but those combined modes... man, good effort, but ouch those things are ugly.

Also, RiD Landfill was an awesome idea that... kinda didn't work out very well. The individual bots are kinda plain (Grimlock borders on being just plain crappy), and the combined mode... well, like I said, good idea, poor execution.

16. entITy

entITy G 1

Great question.

First of all the decepticon combiners > autobot ones as I said in my thread (ruined by trolls who can't read initial posts correctly or just said :

"Hey goto tfwiki, ha goto tfwiki, goto tfwiki, everhear of tfwiki ?, I know someone else wrote this but goto tfwiki, oh yeah he is right try tfwiki, hey I know your avatar you got before signing up here is from tfwiki but try tfwiki, you never typed tfwiki, hey try tfwiki, all answers of tf are on tfwiki, please dont ask questions here just goto tfwiki"), but ...

I listed I think all the combiners (and bases), I'm sure some people will still learn things from post 1 (I found out most of the alt names too) :

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ion/534464-g1-giants-combiners-questions.html

*Best Combiner : Predaking, dude is serious, what is his head a set of fangs ?
    Honorable Mention : The iconic Devastator

*Worst Combiner : Computron...boring as hell. Almost useless.
    Honorable Mention : A tie of Raiden who appeared too late in shows even though he was Diaclone toy same year as Devasastor or the Seascon guys who created...wait for it...Piranacon the "last combiner" the size of sixshot in cartoon...total snore (the toy was what prime size ?). I say "last combiner" because even though HM added others after that, that was last combiner sold in USA then basically when g1 lost it's initial interest around 1988 maybe.

I'm basing my opinion on both g1 cartoon and toy portrayals.

I wish I saw more shows read more comics, Monstructor had a erie story.

=

Hell yeah ! Imagine him vs Menasor, I posted stuff about him in link above...post 5 or something. I put autobot stickers on my puzzler, but that name though, puzzler...no he is now "Demolition" !

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    How anyone can not like Abominus is beyond me...best combiner made of the G1:s.

18. entITy

entITy G 1

I like Amominus, he is tied for number 3 in my opinion with Bruticus Ha ha I remember he punked Megatron and helped Starscream in one episode as he created them.

But I don't think Abominus is as cool as Devastator or Predaking (I liked Abominus animation in Call of Primatives...was great) but the toy was way smaller than predaking right? Just taller than Piranacon? I like the guys though, double headed dragons vs dinobots...wait :

Worst combiner the official or un official "The Beast" in uk comic. Even the name is bad, the fan name Extinction was wayyy better. However ironic, this version would be my number 1 combiner if was made official...Check this video :

And there was a guy who website had better cgi than video of it, but he made one too out of 7 dinobots (idk site to see it anymore) :

Nevermind here is pic and url tag :

[​IMG]

^ FTW

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  19. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

Having just gotten a knock-off Defensor, he's really one of the most solid and imposing-looking combiners in G1, so I'd put him high in the running when it comes to the classic combiners.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Best:

Bruticus
    Menasor
    Defensor
    Rail Racer
    Liokaiser

Worst:

Monstructor (GPS)
    Most PCC